Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride With One Brake - Front or Rear??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ride With One Brake - Front or Rear??

Old 07-24-19, 08:39 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Hope you're not in the UK - it's illegal o only have one brake here..
As others related, BITD every kid had a bike with just a rear coaster brake. Maybe a rich kid would have a Raleigh tourer with rim brakes. I guess that wouldn't have flown in the UK.

That being said on the road I pretty much only use the front brake as it gives better modulation.

scott s.
Old 07-24-19, 08:54 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Regarding the danger of “panic braking” with a front brake only bike.....

Why is this more of a danger on a bike with one brake on the front than on a bike with both front and rear brakes?

If someone is just going to grab all the brake they can, and they can do so enough to go OTB or wash out, it really does not matter whether there is a rear brake

So why is it a particular concern now?
Old 07-25-19, 05:15 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Regarding the danger of “panic braking” with a front brake only bike.....

Why is this more of a danger on a bike with one brake on the front than on a bike with both front and rear brakes?

If someone is just going to grab all the brake they can, and they can do so enough to go OTB or wash out, it really does not matter whether there is a rear brake

So why is it a particular concern now?
exactly this. If you ‘panic’ Brake and end up locking up the front wheel without shifting your weight, it will be exactly the same as having only a front brake. Therefore, the best advice isn’t to say you need two brakes, but that you should be practiced in proper braking technique, so that in such a situation, you don’t do the wrong thing. By this measure, having both brakes can be helpful, if you avoid locking up the front, to stop marginally faster. But with proper technique, you greatly minimise the need for a rear brake. Without technique, your rear is as good as useless.
Old 07-25-19, 06:11 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I have congenital deformities in my hands and as such I've had a LIFETIME of braking with the FRONT brake only. I need the other hand to hang on to the handlebars as tightly as possible.

Issues such as locking up and sliding or going over the bars are real, yes, yet in the scheme of things minor. You just learn how to use your brakes properly. If you have the luxury or running both brakes off on lever then go for it. One brake only? definitely the front. No competition.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 07-25-19, 06:20 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Thousands or even millions of people run front brake only every day.

It's odd that some seem to never have heard of it and there really shouldn't even be a debate.

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-25-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-25-19, 06:31 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
I'll also vote with the minority on this, I would pick the rear, choosing control over stopping distance. I've gotten out of a lot more pickles with bike maneuvering than with braking power.
Yeah,. I'm leaning this way, too. Sure, the stopping power isn't as good, but the potential for landing on the pavement ( on wet roads, turns) is higher with the single front brake, IMO.
Old 07-25-19, 06:32 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Threads like this remind me that this forum is very much pavement-oriented.

The risk calculations end up very different on loose or unstable surfaces.
Old 07-25-19, 06:34 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Last summer I explained, best as I could, to my 12 yo son that the front brake was the stronger one and the one that should be used most of the time. Next time he was out riding his bike (older Kona with hydraulic discs) he decided to test the new knowledge I had imparted and grabbed a handful of front brake to see how fast he could stop, and LO! Over the bars he went!

New knowledge imparted to me: It takes about 4 weeks for a 12yo's broken arm to heal.

My mistake was not emphasizing that one must practice using the front brake to be able to do it safely. We were riding the other day and I noticed he still uses his front brake most of the time, but he doesn't go over the handlebars. In fact, I bet he will never again go over the handlebars again from using too much front brake. I would bet it is a mistake that the vast majority of people will only make once.
Old 07-25-19, 08:25 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

Off road? I want both brakes.

I've mentioned my motorcycle days often. I rode both street and dirt on my own motorcycles from age 20 to 38.

I remember one day I'm at a motocross track and a friend of mine offers up his Kawasaki KX250. He mentions his front brake wasn't working correctly, but I take it out anyway. I'm just taking a familiarity lap to get a feel for the bike, blasting between turns but taking it easy over jumps.

After one blast of the throttle I know I'm not going fast enough for an upcoming double jump so I hit the brakes to make that double into two singles.

Big mistake. That front brake didn't work at all. I went over the first jump with not enough speed scrubbed off to make the jump a single and I was going too slow to make it a double.

I cased the bike on the second jump which threw me to the ground hard. Dang near got a concussion even though I was wearing a helmet and I lost most of the flesh on my left forearm.

Good times. Good times.
Old 07-25-19, 08:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Off road? I want both brakes.

I've mentioned my motorcycle days often. I rode both street and dirt on my own motorcycles from age 20 to 38.

I remember one day I'm at a motocross track and a friend of mine offers up his Kawasaki KX250. He mentions his front brake wasn't working correctly, but I take it out anyway. I'm just taking a familiarity lap to get a feel for the bike, blasting between turns but taking it easy over jumps.

After one blast of the throttle I know I'm not going fast enough for an upcoming double jump so I hit the brakes to make that double into two singles.

Big mistake. That front brake didn't work at all. I went over the first jump with not enough speed scrubbed off to make the jump a single and I was going too slow to make it a double.

I cased the bike on the second jump which threw me to the ground hard. Dang near got a concussion even though I was wearing a helmet and I lost most of the flesh on my left forearm.

Good times. Good times.
Well of course you WANT both brakes, but the question being asked is which one to go with if there is only one.
Old 07-25-19, 02:04 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
Of course the front brake provides better braking but I sure would not want to have only the front even strictly for riding pavement. There is always going to be places with dirt, sand, debris, or whatever (especially in corners) and sooner or later you're going to be in it and need to stop.

If I could only have one, I'd take my chances with just the rear knowing that stopping is going to take longer.
Old 07-25-19, 04:32 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts

the forum reflects the world at large, which is that most cycling is done on paved roads and in cities and towns. It’s just a fact, not anything particular to the forum.

as far as the discussion at hand, it’s very simple:

1. Physics tells you that the front brake does most of the work. Same reason disc brake cars typically have larger rotors in front (as well as motorcycles and racing bicycles)
2. Proper emergency braking technique is essential and with it, a front brake only, is more than sufficient. With a rear brake, you’ll stop marginally faster. Without technique, a rear brake is useless. In most everyday riding scenarios, even without technique, a front brake only is generally safe, at typical bicycle speeds.
3. For technical on road riding as well as all various forms of ‘off-road’ or otherwise non flat paved (like racing, downhill decent, mountain, speed modulation, high speed cornering, etc.) a rear brake is extremely useful to downright necessary. All of this is regardless of specific brake type.

not sure what other discussion there is to be had here. So let’s talk some more about why we should wear helmets not designed to protect us from collision with a motor vehicle, to protect us from collision from a motor vehicle and how that’s necessary for our lives.
Old 07-25-19, 04:43 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Well of course you WANT both brakes, but the question being asked is which one to go with if there is only one.
I guess we need to hear back from the OP and see what kind of riding is done on the Specialized "hybrid" mentioned, and on what type of surfaces.

If we are talking pavement, gravel paths, hard pack dirt, grass, and no steep descents, I still vote front brake only. A good tire choice could help a bunch here.
Old 07-25-19, 05:00 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

I have to admit I didn't think about speed when it comes to brakes. Thanks to another thread at BF, I got looking at the Electra Cruiser line.

On one of Electra's Cruiser webpages, the braking systems change depending on the potential speed of the bike (or user), it would seem.

1 speed cruisers get a rear coaster brake.

3 speed cruisers get a front rim brake and a rear coaster brake.

7 speed cruisers get front and rear rim brakes.

7 speed fat tire cruisers get front and rear discs (Due to tire width making rim brakes problematic?).
Old 07-28-19, 12:54 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Hope you're not in the UK - it's illegal o only have one brake here..

But a rear brake won't be too effective on a hybrid, so I vote for front - even though rear braking is more stable, certainly when braking one-handed.
Wasn't it a year or two ago, a one armed man in the uk got in a heap of trouble for only running one brake on his bike?
Old 07-28-19, 01:20 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I can't believe the number of people suggesting just a front brake in ... first and foremost is safety ... if he goes that option, has to slam it on unexpectedly one day without the time to think and ends up flying over the handlebars or the wheel tucks in underneath himself and he ends up hospitalized with serious injury .... just make sure you leave your comments here so you be traced via your IP address and you can be sued for his medical care (and anybody else he may hit) thereafter for the poor advice you've given ... personally I think the comments are totally irresponsible as it's dangerous to even suggest it.

I'm sure this will create a few flustered responses .... I'm off on a 3 day cycle tour early in the morning so won't be checking in here in case anybody accuses me of throwing a grenade in the room and then disappearing as that's genuinely not the case bit I honestly think people need to think through the advice they're giving and the repercussions it may lead to.

I think 2 brakes or don't ride and just to save a bit of money to risk your own and other people's health is totally irresponsible.
This bike of mine has one brake, you can guess where it is. Never have I ever went over the bars of a bike unless I was purposelly attempting a stoppy/endo and couldn't release the lever. That centerpull is plenty strong, too and you can tell the riding position is a pretty foward one, like on some mtbs and most roadbikes.
Old 07-28-19, 01:53 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
This bike of mine has one brake, you can guess where it is. Never have I ever went over the bars of a bike unless I was purposelly attempting a stoppy/endo and couldn't release the lever. That centerpull is plenty strong, too and you can tell the riding position is a pretty foward one, like on some mtbs and most roadbikes.
That's a wild lookin' beast of a machine you have there, Jax.
Old 07-29-19, 11:12 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Front brake is better at stopping and slamming your body into the ground. Very dangerous to use the front brake for primary braking when cornering on loose/wet surfaces.
Old 07-29-19, 11:39 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Are you running a dual crown fork with the upper crown removed?

Last edited by Kapusta; 07-29-19 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-29-19, 11:44 AM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
First, I would ask mountain or road riding mostly?

If mountain I would opt for rear; road front.

Then why not consider an automotive solution and use a front/rear brake balancer. They are not heavy and are tunable. You can get such from Wilwood. They are designed for automotive brakes but should work for hydraulic cycling brakes as well. Actually, I have at lest one I am not using. If I find it, I would be happy to send it to you. They are also small (probably don't weigh more than 50 grams or so) and use a thumb knob to adjust the balance.

Steve
Old 07-29-19, 11:58 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Are you running a dual crown fork with the upper crown removed?
It does look a bit twisty, doesn't it?
Old 07-29-19, 11:59 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by sabele

Then why not consider an automotive solution and use a front/rear brake balancer. They are not heavy and are tunable. You can get such from Wilwood. They are designed for automotive brakes but should work for hydraulic cycling brakes as well. Actually, I have at lest one I am not using. If I find it, I would be happy to send it to you. They are also small (probably don't weigh more than 50 grams or so) and use a thumb knob to adjust the balance.

Steve
I don't know how well that would work on a small bicycle hydraulic system, but it is an excellent idea.
Old 07-29-19, 12:43 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I would say rear.
Watched my friend go head over teakettle when she did a sudden stop using just front brake. Slammed her face into the pavement, we called 911 but she turned out to be OK enough to be driven home with just scrapes.
Then due to the frozen left shoulder I ended up using pretty much only my rear brake this last winter. Worked fine. But I did have to get new pads this tune up.
But if you want to go high tech I think rigging something that did them together might be even safer. But for this cash strapped girl..ok old lady...LOL Rear brake works too.
Old 07-29-19, 01:27 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ABS brakes

I think the ideal solution would be ABS brakes (ala cars and some motorcycles). Here's one article, https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/b...s-to-bicycles/ I can't endorse Bosch (nor do I know who else has a product out or in the pipeline). But rather than "hardwiring" a split, or choosing a single brake ... this would seem to be the most appropriate solution
Old 07-29-19, 01:59 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Khb
I think the ideal solution would be ABS brakes (ala cars and some motorcycles). Here's one article, https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/b...s-to-bicycles/ I can't endorse Bosch (nor do I know who else has a product out or in the pipeline). But rather than "hardwiring" a split, or choosing a single brake ... this would seem to be the most appropriate solution
Pretty nifty. E-bike only at the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.