Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wow, getting adverts for CBD oil now

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-01-19, 12:33 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

from Western Bike Works:

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/sea...bf&ln=16408028

(I don't mess with that stuff - good old fashioned buds for me.)

Last edited by tyrion; 08-01-19 at 12:36 PM.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-01-19, 12:38 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Yea...at the final dinner for Tour de Nebraska this year someone went and spammed the entire dining hall with CBD advert cards. I don't know if they had official sanction to spam all the cyclists or not, don't care.
Old 08-01-19, 12:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
A fool and his money...
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-01-19, 02:17 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
"A fool and his money..."

Have you tried it?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-01-19, 04:11 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
He's not a fool.
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-01-19, 04:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
As I don't know indyfabz, I am unable to ascertain should he be a fool or not, however I want to know if he tried it and it did nothing for him.
Old 08-01-19, 06:45 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
You could eat cherries/drink cherry juice to do what CBD oil claims to do. There are actual scientific articles demonstrating effectiveness of the stuff. There are no scientific studies of CBD oil that I'm aware of.
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-01-19, 07:29 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
You could eat cherries/drink cherry juice to do what CBD oil claims to do. There are actual scientific articles demonstrating effectiveness of the stuff. There are no scientific studies of CBD oil that I'm aware of.
just because you're not aware of the studies sure as heck doesn't mean they aren't out there. here's just one of them that came up with a simple google search - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/

here's one more if you want - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4851925/

again, this was just a general, super quick search. i'm sure you can find many more if you're up to it.

the cherry thing made me laugh though, i had to look into that. the study i found said that if you drink cherry juice twice a day for 21 days, it can help with pain. that's kind of a stretch to say it does the same that cbd oil claims to do. however, i did learn how cherry juice is pretty dang good for you in many ways, so i'll be getting me some of that. thanks for the info!
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 08-01-19, 11:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
CBD is going mainstream quickly, so it doesn't surprise me to see bike related ads for CBD from Floyd's and whatever company Phil Gaimon has listed as a sponsor.

FWIW, I was skeptical about CBD until recently. After my injuries from being hit by a car last year (and coincidental unrelated bout with cancer) I was willing to try almost anything other than beg for prescription pain meds or wait six months for a referral to a "pain management clinic."

The first few CBD samples I tried last year did nothing from pain but did help with nausea and difficulty swallowing associated with the thyroid cancer. It was more effective than my prescription ondansetron for nausea.

Some research indicates the THC-free CBD isolates may be ineffective for pain in some folks, so I tried some high potency full spectrum CBD oil within the standard 0.3% THC amount specified by the gummint. That did the trick. The pain relief is comparable to something between a fistful of ibuprofen (or the diclofenac I was prescribed) and half of a tramadol or hydrocodone. After my first use of the high potency full spectrum CBD there were no side effects. There was some minor lightheadedness the first day. Side effects would probably depend on the individual's tolerance to THC. Anyone who uses cannabis recreationally or for medical reasons could probably tolerate CBD with zero side effects from the tiny amount of THC.

Just based on my personal experience a full spectrum CBD is good for controlling daily chronic pain up to 5 on a scale of 10, and making pain levels of 6-7 somewhat more tolerable. It is not equivalent to opioids and won't replace the low strength stuff like tramadol and hydrocodone for pain in the 6-8 range.

Kratom *is* as effective as tramadol and hydrocodone but has its own set of pros and cons, so anyone considering using kratom for pain and anxiety should study up on it thoroughly. I'm hoping the active components can be studied, isolated and developed to produce alternative remedies for chronic pain and anxiety. But it's affordable, effective and generally safe for well informed consumers.

I've been told by someone in the Veteran's Administration health care system that they'll probably soon offer it as a prescription alternative to opiates. They've already done internal training to inform VA employees about CBD so that they don't associate CBD use with recreational/illicit marijuana use when dealing with veterans. Suits me, if it's the more effective full spectrum type. It'll save me some money, although the company I buy from already has the lowest price in the industry and offers a generous discount for veterans.

From a sports perspective, there's a study that indicates CBD may offer just enough pain relief without detrimental side effects that it may wind up being considered a PED. I suppose they have the notion that between two otherwise comparable or virtually identical competitors, the one who suffers less pain in an endurance event might have the edge. Not sure I agree with that notion, but the same argument could be made for any OTC NSAID.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-02-19, 02:25 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Remember the time when marijuana caused reefer madness? That was the result of the medical industries evaluation. I'm guessing some scientific studies aren't always as reliable as we'd like them to be. Especially when there's politics involved. Nevertheless, research is ongoing, so there is still more to be learned as to what it can and cannot do.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 08-02-19, 05:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"A fool and his money..."

Have you tried it?
A couple of things...

1. No, because no one has given me any, and I am not a fool to spend my own money on it.

2. If you want to bring attention to a question you have posed to a forum member you should either use the post quote function or the mention function. Not everyone returns to check every post in every thread he/she has posted in. Let me know if you'd like me to describe how to use the aforementioned functions.
Old 08-02-19, 06:13 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Assuming any of this is effective, I wonder if the CBD cream is more or less effective than the creams with THC.
Old 08-02-19, 06:21 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm sure CBD helps some with chronic pain and if it reduces dependency on opiates then it is a good thing.

To the point of this thread however, rest is the number one thing anyone can do for recovery. Take a nap.

Proper diet, rest, stretching, a good multi vitamin... CBD oil is way down the list of what someone should doing to recover, somewhere behind a full night's sleep, protein, vitamin C, Co-Q-10 and not eating so much fast/junk food.

The idea that CBD oil is going to "up your recovery game" assumes that one is doing everything else already.

-Tim-
Old 08-02-19, 06:24 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TimothyH
The idea that CBD oil is going to "up your recovery game" assumes that one is doing everything else already.
But have you tried it, or did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
Old 08-02-19, 06:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
FYI make sure if your using or taking any Marijuana products make sure they are legal where you are and where your going!

Where Marijuana is Fully Legal

Alaska

California

Colorado

Maine

Massachusetts

Michigan

Nevada

Oregon

Vermont

Washington

Washington, D.C.
Where Medical Marijuana Only is Legal

Alabama (CBD only)

Arizona

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia (CBD only)

Hawaii

Illinois

Indiana (CBD only)

Iowa (CBD only)

Kansas (CBD only)

Kentucky (CBD only)

Louisiana

Maryland

Minnesota

Mississippi (CBD only)

Missouri

Montana

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina (CBD only)

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma (CBD only)

Pennyslvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina (CBD only)

Tennessee (CBD only)

Texas (CBD only)

Utah

Virginia (CBD only)

West Virginia

Wisconsin (CBD only)

Wyoming (CBD only)

Where All Marijuana is Illegal

Idaho

Nebraska

South Dakota
Old 08-02-19, 07:20 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I tried CBD and Hemp products as an absolute skeptic, thinking it was all a bunch of hogwash.

I noticed an immediate reduction in overall tension and soreness. The stuff works. A scientific study to prove that might be nice, but I can see it with my own eyes. And I went into it fully skeptical, so it's not psychosomatic

In fact, I'm drinking one of these hemp energy drinks right now

https://www.amazon.com/Kona-Gold-Cal...ms&sr=1-1&th=1

Tasty stuff. Usually it's more of a midday drink, but I forgot my coffee this morning. Nice thing about this stuff is it doesn't make me hyper like coffee nor does it make me heart feel like it's going to explode like with a Red Bull. (Also it doesn't taste like Red Bull, which is a huge plus) It kind of picks you up mildly so you can both have energy and relax (weird duality, I know)
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 08-02-19, 08:07 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
A couple of things...

1. No, because no one has given me any, and I am not a fool to spend my own money on it.

2. If you want to bring attention to a question you have posed to a forum member you should either use the post quote function or the mention function. Not everyone returns to check every post in every thread he/she has posted in. Let me know if you'd like me to describe how to use the aforementioned functions.
That's one way of looking at it. Another is as a generalized idiom, which is how I interpreted it. Of course, there could be more to the interchange than what I read here? Sometimes statements aren't directed at any individual (which could explain the lack of a quote), but to bring attention to a way of thinking. Either could be true.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm sure CBD helps some with chronic pain and if it reduces dependency on opiates then it is a good thing.

To the point of this thread however, rest is the number one thing anyone can do for recovery. Take a nap.

Proper diet, rest, stretching, a good multi vitamin... CBD oil is way down the list of what someone should doing to recover, somewhere behind a full night's sleep, protein, vitamin C, Co-Q-10 and not eating so much fast/junk food.

-Tim-
I'm sure you mean well, but imagine being stabbed in the gut and told by your doctor to just get a good night's sleep. If others here suffer the same level of pain I experience on a regular basis, we're way past the solution of anything that superficial. Simply stated, operation > mediation > rest.

Not to imply I don't get your point -- I've seen many that look to a "magic" pill to solve all their ill without any regards to exercise or proper diet. Personally, I've never met a diabetic that wasn't overweight for example.

As for me, I go to the doctor only as a last resort. And only once all possible solutions I can think of and research have been exhausted. Or when there's a solution I can't access on my own, and without a medical professional's validation .
Old 08-02-19, 09:33 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by indyfabz
But have you tried it, or did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
Neither. I'm a computer network engineer.

RTFM

-Tim=
Old 08-02-19, 09:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I'm sure you mean well, but imagine being stabbed in the gut and told by your doctor to just get a good night's sleep. If others here suffer the same level of pain I experience on a regular basis, we're way past the solution of anything that superficial. Simply stated, operation > mediation > rest.

Not to imply I don't get your point -- I've seen many that look to a "magic" pill to solve all their ill without any regards to exercise or proper diet. Personally, I've never met a diabetic that wasn't overweight for example.

As for me, I go to the doctor only as a last resort. And only once all possible solutions I can think of and research have been exhausted. Or when there's a solution I can't access on my own, and without a medical professional's validation .

With all due respect, I explicitly stated that "I'm sure it (CBD oil) helps some with chronic pain."

My comment regarding getting enough sleep was specific to recovery, not chronic pain.

-Tim-
Old 08-02-19, 03:25 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Scientifically and medically CDB oils which are derived from marijuana plants has no detectable effect though it has been claimed to do everything from help building bodies 12 ways to stopping all arthritis pain to magically floating your boat. It is not supposed to contain THC which is the hallucinogenic part of marijuana but there is usually a tiny amount on most of the cheap preparations.

But forget anyone's advertisements - they are all false advertising.
Old 08-02-19, 03:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
CBD oil has roughly the viscosity of Phil's Tenacious Oil, doesn't it? (Guessing from related oils I saw decades ago,) Has anybody used it on their bike and reported back? Worth the money?
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-02-19, 04:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Doing scientific studies with a Federal class one substance and enough subjects to get meaningful results is a challenge. That's been very convenient for those who discredit it's medical use. Also, since the benefits have never been proved, obviously my credibility (and that of others) is zero. (I knew a woman who regularly got so sick from crises resembling sickle cell that she would have to go to the emergency room to be "fed" IV since nothing would stay down; not even the rice she grew up eating. With that illegal substance, she could eat like a horse. Huge, huge life improvement.)

Some of us knew of the medical benefits of marijuana long before any of our states legalized it.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-02-19, 04:23 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Scientifically and medically CDB oils which are derived from marijuana plants has no detectable effect
what? not only are there studies linked in this thread that show cbd oil has muy detectable effect, there's straight up people who have/do/are using it and it are telling you first hand that it helps their pain.

i never could wrap my head around why some boomer types are so scared of a plant and all it has to offer, especially when it can, and does, do the same job as a lot of terrible and addictive man made drugs. i can't help but think some of these people must have stock in poppy fields somewhere or something.
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 08-02-19, 04:31 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Originally Posted by sdmc530
FYI make sure if your using or taking any Marijuana products make sure they are legal where you are and where your going!
this made me laugh out loud.

YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!

for real though, the last thing i'm worried about when traveling is stuff like this. it's not like most people who use thc or cbd are out sitting on the curb smoking blunts.

ok, maybe sometimes - but usually only when putting in a long day of riding. this is oregon, it's expected of us long haired, beardy folk putting around on adventure bikes!
Likes For t_e_r_r_y:
Old 08-02-19, 04:44 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
this made me laugh out loud.

YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!

for real though, the last thing i'm worried about when traveling is stuff like this. it's not like most people who use thc or cbd are out sitting on the curb smoking blunts.

ok, maybe sometimes - but usually only when putting in a long day of riding. this is oregon, it's expected of us long haired, beardy folk putting around on adventure bikes!
It can happen:

https://reason.com/2019/05/21/a-69-y...rying-cbd-oil/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.