Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

1976 Raleigh Sports as a daily commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-02-19, 11:49 AM
msptotus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm in the market for a new commuter and noticed this: Tucson[.]craigslist[.]org/bik/d/tucson-great-condition-raleigh-commuter/6937268159.html. I have experience using 3-speeds as my daily rider (have had a Motobecane Union-Savoy and an old Raleigh Superbe) but never with a particularly long commute. Have two questions I thought you all could help with:

1. $200 seems like a lot for a Raleigh Sports. Is it?

2. Am I going to regret a three speed as a commuter? I have a flat 10 min ride on potholed roads 5 days a week with an extra five miles or so in the foothills with some steep climbs and a lot of downhill once a week.

What do you all think? $200 seems like a lot but I've discovered bikes are expensive in this part of the world.
Old 08-02-19, 12:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by msptotus
I'm in the market for a new commuter and noticed this: Tucson[.]craigslist[.]org/bik/d/tucson-great-condition-raleigh-commuter/6937268159.html. I have experience using 3-speeds as my daily rider (have had a Motobecane Union-Savoy and an old Raleigh Superbe) but never with a particularly long commute. Have two questions I thought you all could help with:

1. $200 seems like a lot for a Raleigh Sports. Is it?

2. Am I going to regret a three speed as a commuter? I have a flat 10 min ride on potholed roads 5 days a week with an extra five miles or so in the foothills with some steep climbs and a lot of downhill once a week.

What do you all think? $200 seems like a lot but I've discovered bikes are expensive in this part of the world.
I owned a 1972 Raleigh Sports 3 speed for 30 years and it served me and my daughter well for daily commuting up to 10 miles each way in Philadelphia, Oregon and Germany.

Note the saddle has actually been downgraded from the original Brooks B-72 model. I doubt you can find a more reliable commuter bike at any price. Short hills shouldn't be a big problem, long ones call for more gearing and/or sweat.

FWIW I paid $82 for mine, new in 1972. If you can find a better commuter for less buy it.
Old 08-02-19, 01:58 PM
msptotus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. I noticed that about the saddle as well. A shame, too, since I like Brooks saddles and they're kinda spendy.

I'm mostly worried about a 3-speed on hills. The places I've lived before were all in the midwest/northern Europe and here I actually have some decent sized hills to climb.
Old 08-02-19, 10:42 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
For $200 and hills I’d find a good used mtb or hybrid with a triple. I got my Trek 700 Multitrack for $25 off c-list. It was admittedly a steal at that price, and needed some work, but I have way less than $200 in it. I guess around $200 total including the extra wheel set I bought as a backup, and ended up using to switch back and forth between street tires and studded tires last winter. Riding a heavy 3 speed upright like that up hills sucks, in my experience. I’d rather put a 3 speed hub on a light, quick frame with drop bars. Tire selection not great in that size anymore either, 26x1-3/8, ISO 590. Maintenance on a hybrid or mtb isn’t that expensive or difficult, and replacement parts are cheap. 7-8 speed stuff IMO is best bang for your commuting buck if you’re going to have a derailer drivetrain. Edit: my hybrid is comfortable enough for an hour or so at a time. It might be a little more comfortable with a better saddle. But it’s not a light bike, 38 lbs with rack and fenders and lights and spares and everything. For a commute longer than about 10 miles I’d usually say like a touring bike is a nice option, a little lighter and better handling than a hybrid. It will take patience and persistence, but you can get a vintage touring bike for less than $200. My touring bike is 8 lbs lighter, which doesn’t make much of a difference until around Wednesday afternoon. By Friday, it’s a big difference. Fortunately I can telecommute often, my commute is 12 miles one way to the office.

Last edited by Phamilton; 08-02-19 at 10:50 PM.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 08-02-19, 10:53 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Oh yeah, and the steel rims and brakes on that Sports would be awful downhill, especially if there’s water on the road. Nuh uh.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 08-03-19, 07:08 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...937268159.html

Non-original brake levers, too. Chain guard missing. Otherwise condition not bad. It's a nice vintage bike; however I wouldn't offer more than $100. I have an early 1970's Sports that I occasionally used on my commute (20-30 minutes). I found it to be a nice ride, but as I had another purpose built, all-weather commuter, I only used it on nice days when I was feeling mellow.

I don't think you will regret buying it (if <$100). Your commute is short and you could probably figure out how to handle the hills. That said, there are likely other bikes better suited to your requirements. Have you considered that you may need a commuting bike AND another just for the weekend?
Old 08-03-19, 09:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Thanks for the advice. I noticed that about the saddle as well. A shame, too, since I like Brooks saddles and they're kinda spendy.

I'm mostly worried about a 3-speed on hills. The places I've lived before were all in the midwest/northern Europe and here I actually have some decent sized hills to climb.
You could change the rear sprocket on the Hub. The standard size is 18 teeth. 22T sprocket is available for $5 online. https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...p-245383-1.htm.

There are also 24t sprockets to fit S-A hubs. It is an easy modification. The only downside is you can't pedal as fast on downhills; no big deal except to would-be speed racers.
Old 08-03-19, 09:39 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Phamilton
Oh yeah, and the steel rims and brakes on that Sports would be awful downhill, especially if there’s water on the road. Nuh uh.
Not a problem in Tucson.
Old 08-03-19, 09:41 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
I agree with most other posters here. I would not use it as a daily commuter. I use mine (with a Wald basket on the front) for short errands around town. It's not fun on hills, or long stretches.
Old 08-03-19, 09:54 AM
msptotus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I don't think you will regret buying it (if <$100). Your commute is short and you could probably figure out how to handle the hills. That said, there are likely other bikes better suited to your requirements. Have you considered that you may need a commuting bike AND another just for the weekend?
The thought had crossed my mind I've had bad bike theft luck lately (two stolen in three months) and am a little cash poor with going back to school so I was thinking this might be a good tide-over for a year or so until I can afford to buy or build a touring bike.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 08-03-19, 09:56 AM
msptotus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phamilton
For a commute longer than about 10 miles I’d usually say like a touring bike is a nice option, a little lighter and better handling than a hybrid. It will take patience and persistence, but you can get a vintage touring bike for less than $200.
I've discovered Tucson craigslist/used shops are pretty barren after looking on and off since May, unfortunately. I miss the used bikes of the Midwest!
Old 08-03-19, 02:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...941010178.html

https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...940486748.html

https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...932573699.html
Old 08-03-19, 02:43 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Yeah, looks like Tucson actually has a pretty rich c-list market for used bikes. Here’s your touring bike, just an example, no idea if it’s your size:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...941768991.html
Old 08-04-19, 10:58 AM
davelloyd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems expensive for a 43 year (!) old bike. I would keep looking for something newer
Old 08-04-19, 11:46 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I suspect someone may be expecting a premium price for a "vintage" bike, especially if it's missing some of its original parts.

I've commuted on 3 speed bikes for years. It's basically one gear for cruising, and an extra gear for moderate hills. Sheldon Brown suggests changing the gearing so that the high gear is the cruising gear, and you have 2 climbing gears, but I've never bothered to try that out.

On the other hand, I'd skip that bike unless you're in love with 3 speeds and willing to put up with the shortcomings of a vintage bike: Steel wheels (40 spokes in back, hard to find new rims), and a cottered crank. At the very minimum for a practical bike I require aluminum rims.
Old 08-04-19, 06:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
OClearly people did commute on these, for half a century. The range on the 3 speed, though, is just too short for me. If I wanted this kind of bike I’d prefer one of the many “modern take” versions with an 8 speed hub and built with current, easily serviced, Japanese-standard, Chinese-made parts.

if I did really want vintage I also might want to find an equivalent 1970s Schwinn which would have an Ashtabula crank which comes apart with a crescent wrench and maybe easier to find 27 inch tires.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-04-19 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 08:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
OClearly people did commute on these, for half a century. The range on the 3 speed, though, is just too short for me. If I wanted this kind of bike I’d prefer one of the many “modern take” versions with an 8 speed hub and built with current, easily serviced, Japanese-standard, Chinese-made parts.
Nothing was easier to service than an S-A AW 3 speed hub; add a drop or two of oil every decade or so and forget about it. Perhaps change the shifting cable once or twice after a decade of use.
Old 08-05-19, 06:08 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

CL posting has been deleted. I wonder if @msptotus bought it.
Old 08-06-19, 09:56 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I've discovered Tucson craigslist/used shops are pretty barren after looking on and off since May, unfortunately. I miss the used bikes of the Midwest!
Don't know how tall you are, but this Cannondale looks great. Still looking.

ETA: Either of these two would work, especially the Crossroads. I really like that Crossroads.

I'm a big fan of vintage steel mountain bikes. I own two; one as a road cruiser/commuter and the other as an off-road ride. They're inexpensive, rugged as anything, and extremely versatile. Still looking.

ETA: This Motobecane Cafe Noir looks pretty good too. Ooo, and this Rockhopper. Y'know, for not having any bikes, I keep finding some pretty nice ones. If my stable wasn't full...

Last edited by Korina; 08-06-19 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 04:53 PM
msptotus

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I should have specified that I was having trouble finding other stuff in a larger frame size.

I ended up going with the Raleigh but talked them down a little in price. I've done the longer commute once so far on it and it was alright. I didn't break any records going uphill but it honestly didn't feel like that much more work that the Cannondale that I had before and I managed to bike home (downhill) at 100 degrees without being completely drenched in sweat, which was an unexpected plus. It's also been really pleasant for the shorter flat commute in town where the roads are pretty rough.
Likes For msptotus:
Old 08-07-19, 07:56 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

That Peugeot touring bike is now $100, and a 60cm (24”) frame. If you’re too tall for that frame, don’t I recall that Raleigh Sports biggest frame was a 23”? I guess if there was a 25” and you got it then great. I think I remember seeing some 25” Raleigh Sprites, 5 speed ones. Hopefully the Raleigh meets your expectations. There’s a whole thread on C&V devoted to English 3 speeds. I love ‘em, just would not be the vehicle of my choice for the commute you describe.
Old 08-08-19, 11:06 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I should have specified that I was having trouble finding other stuff in a larger frame size.

I ended up going with the Raleigh but talked them down a little in price. I've done the longer commute once so far on it and it was alright. I didn't break any records going uphill but it honestly didn't feel like that much more work that the Cannondale that I had before and I managed to bike home (downhill) at 100 degrees without being completely drenched in sweat, which was an unexpected plus. It's also been really pleasant for the shorter flat commute in town where the roads are pretty rough.
Good for you. Enjoy!
Old 08-08-19, 08:59 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 972 Posts
I’ve been commuting about 4-5 miles each way in Manhattan on a 66 Sports. It takes a licking on NYC streets, and with modern brake pads dry stopping is respectable. Wet takes caution. I added a sprung Brooks saddle and a larger rear cog to get a lower low. Otherwise this is a stock bike that’s ready for another 50 years. Enjoy!

Likes For ascherer:
Old 08-08-19, 09:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by ascherer
I’ve been commuting about 4-5 miles each way in Manhattan on a 66 Sports. It takes a licking on NYC streets, and with modern brake pads dry stopping is respectable. Wet takes caution. I added a sprung Brooks saddle and a larger rear cog to get a lower low. Otherwise this is a stock bike that’s ready for another 50 years. Enjoy!

What size tires are mounted on your bike? They look larger than the standard 37 x 590mm EA3 26" tires.

Your bike looks very nice and I am sure will be fine for another 50 years of NYC commuting; just don't forget to add a drop of oil every 10 years or so.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-08-19 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 09:49 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What size tires are mounted on your bike? They look larger than the standard 37 x 590mm EA3 26" tires.

Your bike looks very nice and I am sure will be fine for another 50 years of NYC commuting; just don't forget to add a drop of oil every 10 years or so.
Good eye. They’re Panaracer Col de la Vie 650As. Terrific tires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.