Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Cycler - Is it worth it to spend more to go with a 2019 Roubaix (at a discount)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Cycler - Is it worth it to spend more to go with a 2019 Roubaix (at a discount)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 05:01 PM
ytruhg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been learning a lot the past week as I am trying to narrow down what bike to go with.
I have narrowed it down to these four. As a beginner (on the northeast of the US with a real winter), what would you recommend?
  1. 2017 - Roubaix Elite Carbon. Disc Brakes, Mechanical Brakes, 105 - $1980 (supposed original list price 2800)
  2. 2019 - Roubaix Sport Carbon - Hydraulic Disc brakes, Shimano 105 7000 series - $2199
  3. 2019 - Roubaix Expert Carbon - Ultegra with Hydraulic disc brakes $2499
  4. 2019 - BMC Gran Fondo - Taigra with Rim brakes - $1499
I have no problem paying a bit more if I will actually help me and make me enjoy riding a bit more. But if it won't make a practical difference to me at my stage then I wouldn't want to.

Thank you
Old 08-08-19, 05:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Number one rule buying a bike, make sure it fits you properly. Much more important than the price you pay. For me , if it was the one I was the most comfortable on, it would be the BMC with the Tiagra. Paying more, while certainly feeding your ego, does nothing for actually enjoying the riding of the bike. Just my opinion.
Old 08-08-19, 05:30 PM
ytruhg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would go try them all.
Re comfort I was advised the roubaix has something to make bumps more comfortable
Old 08-08-19, 06:08 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Those all seem like a lotta bike for a beginner unless you're sure you're really going to be into cycling as a hobby. My wife wanted to give cycling a try a few seasons ago so we bought her a new bike. We were actually looking at the Ruby versions of those same bikes but ended up getting an aluminum/105 fuji for a lot less. Glad we did because I'd be surprised if she's ridden it a hundred miles total. She has ridden it this season exactly one time for about 10 miles.

If you're already sure you love cycling and are going to ride the heck out of it then get #3 . After you've ridden it a few thousand miles a year for a few years you'll completely forget about the extra couple hundred bucks it cost to move up from 105.
Old 08-09-19, 05:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Another vote for #3 . Small premium over the 105. You may also be getting nicer wheels.
Old 08-09-19, 05:53 AM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Assuming they fit and are comfortable to you, I'd pick #3 . But honestly only you will know. Considering the money your about to plunk down, I'd ride a bunch of bikes from different companies. Geometry makes a difference. Try the different types. You may be surprised what you like. Sometimes you think you know what you need or like spend the money only to find out after the sale that you really liked or needed something else. Just do your research and buy smart. Cycling is a money pit and you can get carried away. Dont forget to leave room in the budget for kit. That's another expense that must be considered for comforts sake.
Old 08-09-19, 06:39 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Didn't you already ask this question? You do not need to create a new thread for every question. You can update the old thread.