Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I swear I'm not trolling.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-10-19, 10:51 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

I'm 64 and have been riding since March. I got my first road bike in May and recently upgraded to a stock 2009 Cannondale Six 5. I went on first my first ever group ride last Saturday and had no trouble keeping up with the slower of the two groups, mostly middle aged guys and a few women of varying ages. I rode with them again on Thursday night after a 40 mile morning/afternoon solo ride and again had no trouble keeping up, and was the fastest on most of the descents and the hardest climbs. Last night I untaped my bars and adjusted my left brifter location back down about a centimeter because it got knocked out of place at a bathroom stop on my solo Silver Comet ride the day before when I let my bike fall over. I woke up late this morning and knew I couldn't make the five mile ride to the start point on time, I'd be about five to ten minutes late so I told the group on What's App I was on my way. I pedaled like mad to get there but saw them pulling out as I was getting near the start point, I guess they didn't feel like waiting for me. I again pedaled like mad and caught the group after about about a quarter mile of huffing and puffing. I rode with them for five miles and when they made the turn to go up a fairly brutal section I just had to stop. I was spent. I sat down on traffic box and drank some water and watched as three or four stragglers made the turn up to the big hill (Martin's Landing/Six Branches). I figured I'd wait until they came down - this part is a loop - and just skip this part for today because I wasn't myself. After about ten minutes I was considering going home solo, about ten miles, when my slow group showed up; I had tagged on to the fast group by mistake. I did the big hill with my slow group as well as the next fifteen miles but was feeling a bit depressed that I was having a hard time keeping up, was getting passed on descents, which just doesn't happen. Descents and short steep climbs really are are my thing. I train on them every day on a 2.7 mile lap with 250 feet of elevation gain that encircles a golf course near my house. At an intersection less than a mile from the start/finish where I peel off to go home it somehow dawned on me that my front wheel was almost completely locked up. I guess moving the brifter the night before had tightened up my front brake. I usually pump up my tires before a ride but I was running so late I hadn't so that's why I didn't catch it before I headed out. It wasn't rubbing, it was locked. You could turn it with your hand but it took some force. I flipped the release lever and the wheel was still rubbing pretty badly so I had to loosen the adjuster nut a few turns to get it to spin freely. When I got back on my bike it felt like I was flying. It really was the most incredible feeling. It was like upgrading to a superbike, or even an e-bike. Anyway, this is where things get a bit troll-ey.
I set 6 PR's on Strava and tied for fastest in either group - still fastest of the day at 12:50 - 30.8 mph on "Dogwood to Riverside Sprint For Checkered Flag" on one the segments. All of this on locked up front brakes. I know none of this makes any sense, but it happened. A 64 year old newbie on a ten year old bike with a locked up front wheel was the fastest of the day on one segment and did pretty well on a bunch of others (of the people using Strava that have uploaded so far) on a group ride with some pretty serious riders. Let the flames begin!

Last edited by audiomagnate; 08-10-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-10-19, 11:26 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Incoming wet blanket: a rubbing brake is going to cost you some watts, but it's not going to grind you to a halt. A locked up brake won't allow the wheel to rotate. Ending a 28 mile ride at just over 14mph with 26 PRs just means you haven't been at it very long, and frankly, aren't very fast. I've only been at this a few years, but I've nevertheless covered some segments 200+ times. I've put in 172 miles in 10 hours so far this week, and netted just eight Strava PRs-- two 1sts, one 2nd, and five 3rds. This morning was 20.4mph for 26 miles-- no PRs at all.

Ride more. Speed comes with miles ridden. And obviously, check your bike over before heading out on group rides.
Old 08-10-19, 11:59 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Yup, getting segment PR's while ALSO maintaining 18-20+ mph for the entire ride is a lot more difficult, and a lot more rewarding, IMHO. And investing in a power meter will allow you to reap the rewards of a rubbing brake.
Old 08-10-19, 12:04 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Does PR stand for "paragraphs"?
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 08-10-19, 12:55 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As a natural-born editor, that would be the pilcrow, ¶. And yeah, that opening paragraph would have some serious markup on it. Red pen and everything.
Old 08-10-19, 01:19 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I don't know; I assumed "personal records"; but I don't know what "Strava" references, nor do I care either (bike computer, phone application, etc.?, I'll not be researching it). I only use a bike computer to determine distances on an unknown stretch of pavement/trail for a reference on a future ride if I plan to repeat it, which is rare for me. "Power meter" what's that? Sounds like more weight that won't keep me hydrated! I know I'm out of the normal cycling loop of information/vocabulary since I only require a functioning bike to do my thing. Group rides have always gone poorly, and I tend to go where I want in an "unscripted" manner at an "unscripted" pace. Adventure and exploration always triumph when I'm riding. Even races (except TT's) have not gone well; thus solo rider I guess until I die.
As far as "locked"/rubbing brakes; I'd notice that in less than 1/4 mile by feeling it, certainly hearing it. I'm bothered by any bike noise even the proper ones (I "mute" my freewheels). Always do a pre-ride check; primarily for safety concerns.
Old 08-10-19, 01:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Spin each wheel before every ride. Takes two seconds.

#brevityFTW
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-10-19, 01:48 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Why would we think you were trolling?
Old 08-10-19, 02:11 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
I don't know; I assumed "personal records"; but I don't know what "Strava" references, nor do I care either (bike computer, phone application, etc.?, I'll not be researching it). I only use a bike computer to determine distances on an unknown stretch of pavement/trail for a reference on a future ride if I plan to repeat it, which is rare for me. "Power meter" what's that? Sounds like more weight that won't keep me hydrated! I know I'm out of the normal cycling loop of information/vocabulary since I only require a functioning bike to do my thing. Group rides have always gone poorly, and I tend to go where I want in an "unscripted" manner at an "unscripted" pace. Adventure and exploration always triumph when I'm riding. Even races (except TT's) have not gone well; thus solo rider I guess until I die.
I rarely go on unscripted rides, use as much tech on the bike as possible (Di2, power meter, GPS route navigation), do lots of group rides, and log onto Strava after every ride to check for PR's. To each his own.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-10-19 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-10-19, 03:29 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by audiomagnate

I'm 64 and have been riding since March. I got my first road bike in May and recently upgraded to a stock 2009 Cannondale Six 5. I went on first my first ever group ride last Saturday and had no trouble keeping up with the slower of the two groups, mostly middle aged guys and a few women of varying ages. I rode with them again on Thursday night after a 40 mile morning/afternoon solo ride and again had no trouble keeping up, and was the fastest on most of the descents and the hardest climbs. Last night I untaped my bars and adjusted my left brifter location back down about a centimeter because it got knocked out of place at a bathroom stop on my solo Silver Comet ride the day before when I let my bike fall over. I woke up late this morning and knew I couldn't make the five mile ride to the start point on time, I'd be about five to ten minutes late so I told the group on What's App I was on my way. I pedaled like mad to get there but saw them pulling out as I was getting near the start point, I guess they didn't feel like waiting for me. I again pedaled like mad and caught the group after about about a quarter mile of huffing and puffing. I rode with them for five miles and when they made the turn to go up a fairly brutal section I just had to stop. I was spent. I sat down on traffic box and drank some water and watched as three or four stragglers made the turn up to the big hill (Martin's Landing/Six Branches). I figured I'd wait until they came down - this part is a loop - and just skip this part for today because I wasn't myself. After about ten minutes I was considering going home solo, about ten miles, when my slow group showed up; I had tagged on to the fast group by mistake. I did the big hill with my slow group as well as the next fifteen miles but was feeling a bit depressed that I was having a hard time keeping up, was getting passed on descents, which just doesn't happen. Descents and short steep climbs really are are my thing. I train on them every day on a 2.7 mile lap with 250 feet of elevation gain that encircles a golf course near my house. At an intersection less than a mile from the start/finish where I peel off to go home it somehow dawned on me that my front wheel was almost completely locked up. I guess moving the brifter the night before had tightened up my front brake. I usually pump up my tires before a ride but I was running so late I hadn't so that's why I didn't catch it before I headed out. It wasn't rubbing, it was locked. You could turn it with your hand but it took some force. I flipped the release lever and the wheel was still rubbing pretty badly so I had to loosen the adjuster nut a few turns to get it to spin freely. When I got back on my bike it felt like I was flying. It really was the most incredible feeling. It was like upgrading to a superbike, or even an e-bike. Anyway, this is where things get a bit troll-ey.
I set 6 PR's on Strava and tied for fastest in either group - still fastest of the day at 12:50 - 30.8 mph on "Dogwood to Riverside Sprint For Checkered Flag" on one the segments. All of this on locked up front brakes. I know none of this makes any sense, but it happened. A 64 year old newbie on a ten year old bike with a locked up front wheel was the fastest of the day on one segment and did pretty well on a bunch of others (of the people using Strava that have uploaded so far) on a group ride with some pretty serious riders. Let the flames begin!
Curious what your elevation gain was for this ride. Seeing the map of your ride was an eye-opener for me. We used to live in that area about a year ago. Can see our street lol. Did a fair about of riding there, and if there is one thing to say about it, is that you are constantly climbing. Even after finishing a nice descent, there is another large hill to greet you. Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the effort.

Dave
Old 08-10-19, 04:01 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
To each his own.
I fully agree. I use technology every ride; my bike.
Old 08-10-19, 04:45 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
You shouldn't have disclosed this to the public. Now people will be riding your segments and stealing your PRs..........just to be spiteful.
Old 08-10-19, 06:32 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You shouldn't have disclosed this to the public. Now people will be riding your segments and stealing your PRs..........just to be spiteful.
How would one steal someone's personal record?
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-10-19, 06:38 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
stealing your PRs
Hey, this link might be helpful!

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...07-Get-Started
Old 08-10-19, 06:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
IKR, I couldn't (be bothered to) read it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-10-19, 07:05 PM
seypat

I'm wondering why we even need to hear about it. The OP could just look in the mirror and congratulate himself. Pat himself on the back a few times and be done with it.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-10-19, 07:22 PM
bonsai171

Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
How would one steal someone's personal record?
Was thinking the same thing. This isn't possible. You can get beat for the all time record or yearly record. If you're interested maybe the daily record.

Dave
Old 08-10-19, 08:05 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Was thinking the same thing. This isn't possible. You can get beat for the all time record or yearly record. If you're interested maybe the daily record.

Dave
I meant to say Strava segments. My bad.
Old 08-11-19, 09:48 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Yup, getting segment PR's while ALSO maintaining 18-20+ mph for the entire ride is a lot more difficult, and a lot more rewarding, IMHO. And investing in a power meter will allow you to reap the rewards of a rubbing brake.
I am able to maintain 20-22mph on flat stretches and I’m way overweight for a cyclist so anyone will pass me up on hills including grandmamas. I swear I’m not trolling.

And why why would anyone think the OP is trolling. He’s a noob and his brake didn’t start rubbing until the very end of the ride obviously. For some reason he thinks it was that way the whole ride.

Last edited by MyTi; 08-11-19 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-11-19, 03:07 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
I am able to maintain 20-22mph on flat stretches and I’m way overweight for a cyclist so anyone will pass me up on hills including grandmamas. I swear I’m not trolling.

And why why would anyone think the OP is trolling. He’s a noob and his brake didn’t start rubbing until the very end of the ride obviously. For some reason he thinks it was that way the whole ride.
How old are you and how overweight?
Old 08-12-19, 01:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
But did you have fun?
Old 08-16-19, 10:24 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I added some paragraph breaks for anyone who wants to actually read this without killing their eyes.

tl;dr version: Guy is struggling because he doesn't realize his brakes are rubbing. Once he realizes it, he feels like he's flying. Somehow gets a bunch of Strava trophies despite the brake rub.

Actually kind of a fun story, but seriously paragraph breaks are your friend

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I'm 64 and have been riding since March.

I got my first road bike in May and recently upgraded to a stock 2009 Cannondale Six 5. I went on first my first ever group ride last Saturday and had no trouble keeping up with the slower of the two groups, mostly middle aged guys and a few women of varying ages.

I rode with them again on Thursday night after a 40 mile morning/afternoon solo ride and again had no trouble keeping up, and was the fastest on most of the descents and the hardest climbs.

Last night I untaped my bars and adjusted my left brifter location back down about a centimeter because it got knocked out of place at a bathroom stop on my solo Silver Comet ride the day before when I let my bike fall over.

I woke up late this morning and knew I couldn't make the five mile ride to the start point on time, I'd be about five to ten minutes late so I told the group on What's App I was on my way. I pedaled like mad to get there but saw them pulling out as I was getting near the start point, I guess they didn't feel like waiting for me.

I again pedaled like mad and caught the group after about about a quarter mile of huffing and puffing. I rode with them for five miles and when they made the turn to go up a fairly brutal section I just had to stop. I was spent.

I sat down on traffic box and drank some water and watched as three or four stragglers made the turn up to the big hill (Martin's Landing/Six Branches). I figured I'd wait until they came down - this part is a loop - and just skip this part for today because I wasn't myself. After about ten minutes I was considering going home solo, about ten miles, when my slow group showed up; I had tagged on to the fast group by mistake.

I did the big hill with my slow group as well as the next fifteen miles but was feeling a bit depressed that I was having a hard time keeping up, was getting passed on descents, which just doesn't happen. Descents and short steep climbs really are are my thing. I train on them every day on a 2.7 mile lap with 250 feet of elevation gain that encircles a golf course near my house.

At an intersection less than a mile from the start/finish where I peel off to go home it somehow dawned on me that my front wheel was almost completely locked up.

I guess moving the brifter the night before had tightened up my front brake. I usually pump up my tires before a ride but I was running so late I hadn't so that's why I didn't catch it before I headed out. It wasn't rubbing, it was locked. You could turn it with your hand but it took some force.

I flipped the release lever and the wheel was still rubbing pretty badly so I had to loosen the adjuster nut a few turns to get it to spin freely. When I got back on my bike it felt like I was flying. It really was the most incredible feeling. It was like upgrading to a superbike, or even an e-bike.

Anyway, this is where things get a bit troll-ey.

I set 6 PR's on Strava and tied for fastest in either group - still fastest of the day at 12:50 - 30.8 mph on "Dogwood to Riverside Sprint For Checkered Flag" on one the segments. All of this on locked up front brakes.

I know none of this makes any sense, but it happened. A 64 year old newbie on a ten year old bike with a locked up front wheel was the fastest of the day on one segment and did pretty well on a bunch of others (of the people using Strava that have uploaded so far) on a group ride with some pretty serious riders.

Let the flames begin!
Old 08-16-19, 11:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
That's a lot of words, even with the paragraphs!