Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Lightest Aluminum XC - trail bike?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-09-19, 02:22 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts

Who makes the lightest aluminum bikes that are XC oriented but could still be a comfortable bike for trails and single track? Likely looking at a Hardtail but might consider a FS if it is light enough and climbs incredibly well. I won't be doing the really extreme jumping or rough technical trails. More fast rough dirt roads with pot holes and mud than jumping boulders. Think logging roads closed for 20 years but lots of climbing and just distance travel rather than get to the top just to ride down fast.
Old 08-09-19, 08:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I don't think you are going to get much response to your question without giving an idea of how much you want to spend. I am assuming it is not al lot, or you would be asking about CF since you want the lightest bike.

Many companies make Aluminum HT frames that weight within a wet fart of each other, and it is mostly the components that determine which is lightest. And that comes down to how much you want to spend.... and you can spend a LOT.

Also, choosing a bike strictly on weight is pretty silly IMO, so it is hard to give good advice. Getting the right geometry for you, along with better performing suspension, the right tires, brakes, and drivetrain all mean a whole lot more than a pound or two.

Regarding FS... what is "light enough"? They generally weigh a few pounds more.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-10-19, 07:33 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Who makes the lightest aluminum bikes that are XC oriented but could still be a comfortable bike for trails and single track?
The major brands will all have something. The Specialized Chisel is worth a look. You might also look at gravel and all-road style bikes like the Kona Dew.

If light weight is the priority, you'll find that you get into carbon these days at a lot lower price point than would have occurred 10 or 15 years ago.
Old 08-10-19, 09:21 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
The major brands will all have something. The Specialized Chisel is worth a look. You might also look at gravel and all-road style bikes like the Kona Dew.

If light weight is the priority, you'll find that you get into carbon these days at a lot lower price point than would have occurred 10 or 15 years ago.
With that in mind.is there a preferred company for Carbon? Might go as high as $3000 on this new bike.
Old 08-10-19, 06:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/niner-air-9-27.5-2-star-gx-eagle-complete-mountain-bike-2018?skidn=NNR006O-BLA-M&ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6TW91bnRhaW4gQmlrZXMgJiBGcmFtZXM6MToyMjpjY0NhdDEwMDE2MA==

Look around for sales and clearance bikes.

Here is a nice xc Trek if you want to spend 3k.

https://www.helenscycles.com/product...m#.XU9jVEd7nIU

Or, a Specialized which you might be able to find a deal on someplace.
https://www.incycle.com/product/spec...p-344643-1.htm

Last edited by big john; 08-10-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 04:57 AM
RH Clark

Appreciate the input and listings guys. I am a newby and I bought a Trek Marlin 5 a while back. I got a 2017 model in good shape for just $200. I only bought it so I could learn enough to see what I needed in an expensive bike. My plan is to learn what I like and want on this bike and try as many new bikes as possible before spending big money. I am so green though that I don't even know which bikes to be researching into or the discount places to order one. I so appreciate the links.
Old 08-11-19, 02:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Just keep riding and enjoying your bike and in the meantime you can read and learn about that other stuff. I've been riding road and off road for a long time and I had a really hard time deciding what to buy last year when I replaced my 10 year old mtb. I'm hard to fit so I studied geometry charts for months and still couldn't decide what style bike to get.
I saw some super deals on carbon fiber hardtails but ended up with an enduro-type thing.

https://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2018-k...-6600-plus-18/
Old 08-12-19, 11:39 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
I'm not sure which Marlin you have but a medium one according to the internet weighs about 33 pounds, with pedals, water bottle and anything else will put the bike easily over 35 pounds.
So how light do you want to go? The Scott Spark that Nino races is about 20. Lightest aluminum? Which parts you have will probably matter more to the final weight.

I'll use Niner bikes as an example:

Here's a Niner Air9 (aluminum) 2 star build at 28 pounds for 2K (5 pounds less than your Marlin)
https://ninerbikes.com/products/air-9
Not super light but respectable.

Here's a Niner Air9 RDO (carbon) 2 star build at 25 pounds for 3K ($1000 for 3 pounds less than aluminum)
https://ninerbikes.com/products/air-...18629643534434
Is it light enough?

Here's a Niner Air9 RDO (carbon) 5 star build at 22 pounds for 7K ($5000 for 6 pounds less than aluminum)
I hope that's light enough

Actually the entry build for their XC bike the RKT is only 28 pounds for 4K and much lighter than your Marlin
Yes you can build a very light weight aluminum bike, but how much are you willing to spend? If I wanted a light hardtail, I'd only look at a carbon frame.

Also as Big John noted, find a bike that fits you. For example a large Niner Air9 has a ETT of 630mm and Reach of 441mm, Santa Cruz Highball ETT = 638 and Reach = 450, Ibis ETT = 628 and Reach of 422
Notice the Santa Cruz is proportionately larger than the Niner, but the Ibis is not proportionately small than the Santa Cruz. The Niner vs Ibis will feel very different even if you get a longer stem for the Ibis due to other frame geo differences.
Before you spend the bigger bucks, ride the Marlin till it limits you and figure what's worth spending. Save your money for the carbon if you still want light.
Old 08-12-19, 05:00 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by qclabrat
I'm not sure which Marlin you have but a medium one according to the internet weighs about 33 pounds, with pedals, water bottle and anything else will put the bike easily over 35 pounds.
So how light do you want to go? The Scott Spark that Nino races is about 20. Lightest aluminum? Which parts you have will probably matter more to the final weight.

I'll use Niner bikes as an example:

Here's a Niner Air9 (aluminum) 2 star build at 28 pounds for 2K (5 pounds less than your Marlin)
https://ninerbikes.com/products/air-9
Not super light but respectable.

Here's a Niner Air9 RDO (carbon) 2 star build at 25 pounds for 3K ($1000 for 3 pounds less than aluminum)
Is it light enough?

Here's a Niner Air9 RDO (carbon) 5 star build at 22 pounds for 7K ($5000 for 6 pounds less than aluminum)
I hope that's light enough

Actually the entry build for their XC bike the RKT is only 28 pounds for 4K and much lighter than your Marlin
Yes you can build a very light weight aluminum bike, but how much are you willing to spend? If I wanted a light hardtail, I'd only look at a carbon frame.

Also as Big John noted, find a bike that fits you. For example a large Niner Air9 has a ETT of 630mm and Reach of 441mm, Santa Cruz Highball ETT = 638 and Reach = 450, Ibis ETT = 628 and Reach of 422
Notice the Santa Cruz is proportionately larger than the Niner, but the Ibis is not proportionately small than the Santa Cruz. The Niner vs Ibis will feel very different even if you get a longer stem for the Ibis due to other frame geo differences.
Before you spend the bigger bucks, ride the Marlin till it limits you and figure what's worth spending. Save your money for the carbon if you still want light.
Thanks partner. Your suggestions are exactly where I am headed. I won't be buying soon and will likely need some professional fitting to know what I need. I basically wanted some bikes to start researching- drooling over while I am saving and getting more experience. It does look like I want Carbon but I know I would agonize over hurting it unless it is a lifetime warranty frame. I may not need anything except aluminum. I will know more when I ride some different bikes . Best I can tell my Marlin 5 in large 19.5 inch 2017 model weighs about 35 lbs if I weigh myself holding it on a bathroom scale. Accuracy is likely no better than 2 lbs.

It's not that I need lighter so much as I wanted as light as I could get for the money since I do more XC than downhill stuff. I like it all but have more country to explore than rocks to jump off. LOL