Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Ritchey Adjustable Stem vs Bontrager Elite, 31.8mm clamp, Blendr compatible

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-13-19, 11:53 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I am interested in Quality : I have the Bontrager on currently 110 at 7 degrees :

It's on an FX=3 and I don't need much : Thought about raising the riser , But The Shims are all underneath now :

Concerned with maintaining quality
Old 08-13-19, 01:33 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53

I am interested in Quality : I have the Bontrager on currently 110 at 7 degrees :

It's on an FX=3 and I don't need much : Thought about raising the riser , But The Shims are all underneath now :

Concerned with maintaining quality
Ritchey is quality, IMHO better than Trek house brand
Old 08-13-19, 03:29 PM
drb372

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience on the Ritchey adjustable stems but I did install their Ritchey Comp 30° stem black stem on my DS3. The stem seems to be at least equal in quality to the Bontrager it replaced. It feels very solid with no noise or flexing even while climbing .
Old 08-14-19, 06:00 AM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
I'm not sure which Ritchey adjustable you're asking about. If it's one like this https://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-Rise-...ateway&sr=8-15 then I don't have a clue.

I think you're asking about this Ritchey https://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-16053...gateway&sr=8-4
I have one of those I bought about a year ago. It is rock solid and in use, about as solid as a one piece. It has no flex, makes no "creaky" noises even under torque and hasn't even come close to slipping out of position. I originally bought it so I could figure out which solid one piece I wanted. After about 2000 miles on it, I've decided not to replace it at all. If I didn't know I wouldn't think it was an adjustable.

If there's a downside to it, it is making angle adjustments. One of the things that makes it solid is the beefy two screw clamp that lets you adjust the angle . Those angle adjustment screws serve two purposes, one for the adjustment of the angel and the other to clamp it to the steerer... just like on a one piece stem there are 4 screws total. Thing is to adjust the angle, unlike a one screw design, you have to loosen the whole stem. That makes it more than a 30 second job like with a one screw adjustable. IMO, it's worth the extra effort because you end up with a rock solid, no flex, no creaky noises adjustable as the reward for it being a bit harder to adjust.