Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Cannondale CAAD3 F700 - road wheels?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-19, 01:40 PM
Jefain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just picked up a Cannondale CAAD3 F700 MTB. The wheels say 26x1.5/559. I’m looking to replace the mtb tires with either road or less knobby hybrid wheels since most of my riding will be on pavement. Before anyone criticizes me for this, after 15 years in the military and 6 combat tours my back is not doing well so I can’t bare the impact from the stiff riding road bikes in my price range. Can someone help me pinpoint a good affordable set of tires to purchase? Also, I paid $200 for the bike in gently used condition and would welcome input as to whether I got a good buy or not. Thanks kindly!
Old 08-17-19, 02:43 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Sounds like a good buy to me. I've used Specialized Nimbus tires (don't know whether they've replaced with a different name) in sizes from 1.0 - 2.0 X 26" and all were excellent. Thanks for your service and good luck with the bike. If you need to, don't hesitate to raise the bar(s) some more for additional comfort if not the most aero position. Like, who cares?
Old 08-17-19, 08:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It was a $1000 bike in the late 90's.

There are tons of slick (or at least lightly treaded) tire options from most companies. Most of them will have cruiser tires at 2+" and commuter tires at 1.5-1.75".

The fork might or might not have hydraulic damping, depends on the year. If you wanted to replace the fork with a current one there are still a few options at 26" and rim brakes, and you can find an adapter for the extra large Cannondale head tube. There might be a few places that still have parts or upgrades for the one you have, too. Or you can just crank down the preload until it's topped out most of the time.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-18-19, 07:00 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
First of all thanks for your years of service.

Parts for the C-dale headahocks are no longer made but there are a few places with old stock if you look hard enough. I believe the shock is some kind of elastomers and have limited life. No issues with road wheels on old mtbs as long as it fits. I actually know someone riding across the US right now on an old steel hardtail.

First of all, does the shock appear safe and free of excessive play?
Old 08-18-19, 07:53 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Edit to above looks like its an air spring design see the service manual here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1566136198099

Also I found that Performance had rebuild kits for $10 and Bikewagon has some NOS parts if you need them. Cool bike but don't dump too much on the bike.
Old 08-18-19, 09:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Edit to above looks like its an air spring design...
Some Head Shoks were air and oil, some coil and oil, some coil and rubber.

If you look at the spec for this bike in 1997 (the CAAD3 year) it was MC60 which had a coil around a rubber part that provided a progressive spring rate, and a sliding nylon damper. Not as good to ride but nothing to leak. After 20 years I expect it's all worn out except the coil, but at the same time wearing out does not render it dead.

Researching this stuff is a nostalgic rabbit hole. More than anyone should care to know at this late date:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cannond..._manual_en.pdf

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-19-19 at 12:31 AM.