Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 04:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Back on the Zwift this morning. AQI is currently over 300 here, so not even commuting.
Old 11-14-18, 05:55 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Back on the Zwift this morning. AQI is currently over 300 here, so not even commuting.
I built a box-fan filter for my garage and rode zwift this morning. Sucks to keep the door closed, though.
Old 11-14-18, 11:29 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Two days at Fiesta in a row. Yesterday, sprinters warmup and then 3x10' 30/30 on the TT bike and today 50 minutes of tempo no stops just constant power on the road bike. Today, I alternated tops, drops and standing in the drops. Beautiful weather both days with normal wind. The NorCal smoke situation sounds terrible.
Old 11-15-18, 12:01 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I retore my meniscus injury at the beginning of last week bending down to pick something up, so had to take more days off. I'm ramping back up again, all things considered i don't seem woefully out of shape, but the next month of clawing back fitness is going to be annoying af.
Old 11-15-18, 03:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
Tucson training week update:

Tuesday: 5.5 hrs out to Madera Canyon and back. Windy.
Yesterday: 3.5 hrs on the MTB, mainly Saguaro East and Fantasy Island Park
Today: A hair under 3 hrs of tooling around "The Loop" bike paths, and the bottom few miles of Mt Lemmon
Tomorrow: 2.5 of MTB before the El Tour convention and Platinum start meeting
Sat: El tour, should be good for 4 and change

Today I had penciled in a full Mt. Lemmon ascent, but I took it easy instead. The last two days have been bigger than planned, and it's been cold! I have to get my dad at the airport soon so starting later wasn't an option today. Next time I'll give myself ample time for Mt. Lemmon in the event of cold mornings, and maybe plan it sooner in my trip.
Old 11-15-18, 04:25 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Beautiful weather both days with normal wind. The NorCal smoke situation sounds terrible.

Man, I am so done with this. I haven't not ridden outside this long when I've been healthy in a decade. It's brutal. My kids are 2.5 and today one went to open the sliding glass door and I said he couldn't go out and he whined "I miss outside. I want to play. I miss my bike."

Like I'm about to cry just remembering it. We're at a full week now, with it looks like another week to go.
Old 11-16-18, 09:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Hang in there @Ygduf. That sucks. Also the twins are 2.5!!! Time flies.
Old 11-16-18, 09:25 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Didn't ride yesterday; the AC guy showed up during my lunch break and the electrician kept extending the time he'd arrived until he finally said he couldn't make it at 7:30. My legs could probably use the rest anyway.

First time on Zwift in awhile. It’s fun, but dang I have to wonder where all these 4.2w/kg riders are in the real world.
My w/kg on my Vectors is 4.3, on my Tacx Neo its 4.2, on my Elite Direto its 4.7. I was getting podiums on the Direto in races with 200 people in it, on the Neo I'm lucky to get top 20.

Pretty sure the Direto is the accurate one.
Old 11-16-18, 10:36 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I am starting to like Zwift more. I can choose my power measuring device/trainer and use the one that gives me the best W/kg and then declare it is the most accurate - priceless.
Old 11-16-18, 10:52 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I have a quarq dfour on the way. Hoping I get a few free watts switching to crank based power for the same reason!
Old 11-16-18, 11:08 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I am starting to like Zwift more. I can choose my power measuring device/trainer and use the one that gives me the best W/kg and then declare it is the most accurate - priceless.
People were doing this without zwift.

Had a followup with the dr today for my knee since it reallyisn't getting better like i want. Ultrasound revealed that it seems I've just built up a ton of scar tissue and it's preventing full range of motion. Glad it's not a tear or other bad injury, but my family has this tendency to over produce scar tissue (to a fault, it's caused some pretty chronic pain for my Mother). FINALLY going to PT later today. I'll report back.
Old 11-16-18, 11:19 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Another day on the Zwift. I'm in the basement, but my almost 20 year old Nashbar fluid trainer is so loud that my wife hears it on the 2d floor. So I have a feeling that this is how I"m going to get a new trainer for Xmas.
Old 11-16-18, 03:15 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
At the end of the day it was a bummer finding out the numbers were wrong and my FTP wasn't in the 300's. I always ride the Neo on Zwift, but if someone wanted to race for money then well.....

(I'd probably do the Neo still cus I'm not scummy)

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
People were doing this without zwift.

Had a followup with the dr today for my knee since it reallyisn't getting better like i want. Ultrasound revealed that it seems I've just built up a ton of scar tissue and it's preventing full range of motion. Glad it's not a tear or other bad injury, but my family has this tendency to over produce scar tissue (to a fault, it's caused some pretty chronic pain for my Mother). FINALLY going to PT later today. I'll report back.
IMO, scar tissue is a very under diagnosed and mistreated issue; something I learned after re-tearing an achilles tendon. I've been mocked here in the past for it, but I have some Graston tools I use to clear up scar tissue and it really helps. Definitely get a few Graston or ART sessions to clear it up.
Old 11-16-18, 03:28 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Another day on the Zwift. I'm in the basement, but my almost 20 year old Nashbar fluid trainer is so loud that my wife hears it on the 2d floor. So I have a feeling that this is how I"m going to get a new trainer for Xmas.
I hated the trainer so much. Now I hate is a little. kickr smart trainer makes a lot of difference. Being able to build an interval workout on zwift with both power and cadence and stuff like that makes it easier and kind of fun. Being able to adjust down the watts because it's way too ****ing hard is nice as well.
Old 11-16-18, 05:40 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by furiousferret
IMO, scar tissue is a very under diagnosed and mistreated issue; something I learned after re-tearing an achilles tendon. I've been mocked here in the past for it, but I have some Graston tools I use to clear up scar tissue and it really helps. Definitely get a few Graston or ART sessions to clear it up.
Doc used one of those on me today. It felt oddly good. I might get myself one to use if they're not too spendy. Gave me some stretches and strengthening exercises to do as well. I tend to trust him based on the conversation we had. I think my main motivating factor to actually get my ass to the dr today was seeing how close ski season is getting. Can't ski with a bum knee.

Got hoome and hopped on the kickr for an hour with 52 minutes of sweet spot throwin in there. I bumped my ftp up about 3% and it's still not overly hard. Liking this "less volume + strength work" plan I've put myself on. It's nice to not be tired all the time.
Old 11-16-18, 06:22 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
A massive change: Nations redefine the kilogram

Well, this is going to **** things up, isn't it?
Old 11-16-18, 07:48 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I heard that story on NPR this week. I couldn't find the experimental setup, but if it makes me have a higher w/kg then I'm happy
Old 11-16-18, 08:19 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Good grief...Graston tools look like something from a Jame Bond movie that Spectre would like to use on Bond.

Old 11-17-18, 03:05 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Not a bad day. Lift heavy in the morning (Leg day!), play video games all afternoon, then watch a movie while I suffer ruthlessly trying to do an over-under workout on tired legs.
Old 11-18-18, 02:46 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Only 3 workouts this week, pretty short too. Had a nice roll through my old neighborhood while getting the car inspected. 230w NP for about 75min. A good bunch for me, maybe not you guys. I think one area the power feels way way up is in the mid-range. A year ago I could not cruise mid-200's w for that long at a time, especially in between harder efforts.

Also, an easy cruise used to be around 150w. Now I can go 180 to 200w as "easy".

Right at 19mph at about 100 feet elevation per mile riding through the old neighborhood. Our A group ride isn't that fast over that elevation (our area's definition of A anyway).

Hopefully the kiddo is well tomorrow and my day off can be riding instead of at home babysitting. Had wanted a solid 6 hour road ride tomorrow. We'll see.
Old 11-18-18, 03:10 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Tried to zwift race instead of my sweet spot workout this morning. That went awfully. My legs are real tired from the week of training.I'm also 3 weeks into this block so it starts to make sense that the fatigue is building. Gonna write it off as a miss and move on.
Old 11-18-18, 07:55 PM
caloso

I love how realistic they've made Zwift. It even has guys who jump on your wheel while you're trying to do intervals, just like in real life!
Old 11-19-18, 06:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Tried to zwift race instead of my sweet spot workout this morning. That went awfully. My legs are real tired from the week of training.I'm also 3 weeks into this block so it starts to make sense that the fatigue is building. Gonna write it off as a miss and move on.
Take solace. You were probably only beaten by a 250 lb dude who claims his Zwift weight is 145 lb and is using some kind of crap estimated power from an old $45 mag trainer with a screwed up speed sensor.

That's all.
Old 11-19-18, 09:47 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

4 hours of endurance total for Saturday and Sunday with two threshold climbs on Sunday.

Edit: It was 4 hours total not 4 for each day.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-19-18 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 09:57 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Nice @Hermes that's a lot of riding.

Yesterday I got back from Tucson. I logged ~17.5 hrs of pedaling for the 5 days, a bit less than expected which is mostly due to me flatting out of El Tour de Tucson 35 miles in. It was totally my fault, had a slit in the rear (with bulging inner tube) that I didn't inspect before the ride, and I was carrying this old/backup CO2 inflator that just didn't work anymore. I called in and got picked up.

Frustrating as it was, I was over it pretty quick and just shrugged my shoulders over it. It was a great week of riding and all is well that ends well. I got home, hopped on my MTB and did some urban assault on my way to the finish line in downtown twice: once to see my SDBC buddies finish the 100 miler, then again later to watch my dad and Tio finish the 25 miler. I rode my MTB just long and hard enough to remin myself that I was really tired and that it had been a great week.

Overall it was a great week, and I look forward to spending a full week out there again next year leading to El Tour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.