Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Heron Has Landed! - '73 International 650b Super-Conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Heron Has Landed! - '73 International 650b Super-Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 07:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Very cool bike, and I like the side discussions. I like my International as much as I thought I would and more. It's a work in progress, and 650b is on my mind but won't be soon. Mine is a 1974. I'll measure the chainstays. It feels like a long, low bike to me. I know pedal strike will be a hazard, but I can refrain from pedaling around corners.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-30-16, 08:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I've definitely thought about it, and there are some local community ed classes available. I thought I might have had a possibility with an MIT mechanical engineering staff member some years back, but that fell through (not enough interest to run a class!). I even bought a cheap tube bender from Harbor Freight!
I started with just a book and the internet. You can get by brazing silver alloys with MAP gas for $50. Flux and silver will set you back $40. A bike's worth of typical braze on's is under $50. Then it's practice, practice, practice. Racks are especially gratifying to build, and will be a lot cheaper than the same quality off the shelf - and they'll fit perfectly on the bike they were designed for.
Old 07-30-16, 08:37 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Well, there you have it. Clearly Raleigh shrank the chainstays every year, little by little, saving pennies worth of metal and rt the same time could claim there bikes were lighter than last years model...😜
Let's not be too jaundiced about it. Remember, this was a time when the market was going "sporty"; all bikes verged toward being racing bikes. Well, the Mustang and T-bird were moving toward being nothing but family cars, but that wasn't bikes.
Old 07-30-16, 09:15 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Let's not be too jaundiced about it. Remember, this was a time when the market was going "sporty"; all bikes verged toward being racing bikes. Well, the Mustang and T-bird were moving toward being nothing but family cars, but that wasn't bikes.
Old 08-03-16, 10:19 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
Thanks for th CS length info and other commentary, All.

I was able to squeeze in some decent progress over the past couple of days. I'm reusing the old cables & bar tape until I get the fit dialed in, but this is feeling pretty good as-is according to some doorway balancing... Need to address brakes and see if I'll need to find a solution for quick releases (probably QR straddle cable yokes). Hoping to get this out on the pavement and dirt for a quick shakedown before the weekend. Fender line and other details are in-process.

Old 08-03-16, 11:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Looking good!

Take one of those wooden half moons I sent as protection for the fenders and tap then in the fender with a mallet to shape the insides of the fender areas that have too much of a gap (show too much tire).

Looks like you figured out the pump trick!
Old 08-03-16, 11:56 PM
Sir_Name 

Looking good!

Take one of those wooden half moons I sent as protection for the fenders and tap then in the fender with a mallet to shape the insides of the fender areas that have too much of a gap (show too much tire).

Looks like you figured out the pump trick!
Ha! Exactly the reason I saved all of those. Thanks.

I have a few gift certificates saved up for the local shop - a generator hub and wheel build will be the next step here along with a front light. Any recommendations anyone? The SONdelux SL wide looks about right, but this is my first time looking into this tech. Same with the Edelux II, which is top of the pile for lighting options. Priorities are beam shape/visibility and longevity. Don't want to sap too much power, either.
Old 08-04-16, 06:38 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,675 Times in 2,607 Posts
I've been really happy with my Shutter Precision, SP, dyno hub (I have two running, actually) and pretty much any B&M IQ front lights (xx.cycle in France usually has the best prices). I've done a few overnight rides the last couple of years, and a single front lamp has been all I need.
Old 08-04-16, 08:44 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I've been really happy with my Shutter Precision, SP, dyno hub (I have two running, actually) and pretty much any B&M IQ front lights (xx.cycle in France usually has the best prices). I've done a few overnight rides the last couple of years, and a single front lamp has been all I need.
+1

The SON wide bodies are technically attractive with the wide body, but the SP hubs provide the same performance at half the price. B&M IQ front lights are what I'm running as well. I can't speak to the Edelux lights, but they seem to have equivalent performance.
Old 08-04-16, 08:45 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
What is the rear derailleur?
Old 08-04-16, 10:49 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Looks like a suntour XC MTB derailleur to match the front. A nice choice
Old 08-04-16, 12:16 PM
Sir_Name 

Thanks for the link. That's a good amount of options.

+1

The SON wide bodies are technically attractive with the wide body, but the SP hubs provide the same performance at half the price. B&M IQ front lights are what I'm running as well. I can't speak to the Edelux lights, but they seem to have equivalent performance.
Thanks - glad to hear about both the SP and B&M options.
Old 08-04-16, 12:20 PM
Sir_Name 

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Looks like a suntour XC MTB derailleur to match the front. A nice choice
Yup - XC Pro front and rear. I ran Deerhead on the Windsor most of the time, switched over to these maybe a couple months ago. So far I'm liking these a lot more than the Deerhead, though there's something about those I really like as well.
Old 08-04-16, 08:27 PM
Sir_Name 

LI Sound in the distance.

Post-ride snacks...

What a blast - I got out for about an hour earlier and am beyond pleased with this thing. First impressions are that it has a great lively ride feel, and calm predictable handling. Just lean and look where you want to go. The brakes are fantastic; much, much better than the Windsor. The bike feels faster and more controlled as well. I found myself climbing familiar hills in the next gear or two up from what was typical on the Windsor, and on descents worked up to having no reservations about getting tucked and just letting it roll. It corners beautifully with perfectly stable and surefooted manners. Can't wait to get back out on it soon. The fit is a definite improvement over the Windsor as well. There are still some tweaks to be made and new cables to be installed, almost there.
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited by Sir_Name; 08-04-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 11:18 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

So glad she's got a good home! Just a few months ago:

Old 08-05-16, 09:17 AM
Sir_Name 

Nice bike! Glad you offered - can't wait to wear out the 38s a bit more and switch to 42s.
Old 08-17-19, 10:57 PM
Sir_Name 

Build 2.0 begins...

The rough plan is FSA SLK Adventure 46/30 with 11-42 11sp in the back. Ultegra rear hub and most likely an SP dyno in front with B&M lighting. Brevet or Belgium+ rims. DT Revolution spokes, Competition DS rear.

The current build is 3x7 Accushift+ with an IRD freewheel. 46/36/26 x 13-32.

The Accushift gear works pretty well with the IRD/Shimano freewheel spacing, but it's touchy and needs to be tuned 'just right.' The bike was cold set to 130mm before I got it, so it's only right to jam a few more sprockets back there. The current 126 mm wheel set (now with +4 mm spacers) came from another bike, and I had most of the current build on-hand back when. The plan had always been to eventually rebuild with a dynamo and more modern components, it's just taken a while to bite the bullet. I grabbed the correct '71 waterslide decals a couple years ago, will finally getting around to swapping them in once I collect parts and rebuild.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 08-17-19 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 01:02 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
Neat bike, nice story, interesting project!