Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-19, 05:03 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I couldn't agree more to a lot of the sentiments if they were legitimate. Not every ride has to be about 100% about fitness, and I don't need a 120 bpm heart-rate to ride a mile to the curb market to pick up some fruit. Nor do I need to work up a sweat if I'm commuting in to the office. Thing is though, people can be masters at making up excuses and presenting the semblance of truth.

When I go to there gym its full of people, but only a handful are even in decent shape. Why do you think that is? A few moments of observation and you'll notice the largest of them spending a great amount of time sitting on the bench texting and very little actual working out.

Later you hear them boldly proclaim, they spend 2 hours at the gym every night. See now how you can fulfill a commit, and yet not fulfill it?

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-25-19 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 04-24-19, 12:25 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Some exercise is better than no exercise? Well, yes. On the other hand, some might say that's an old fallback excuse.

The thing is, when it comes to cycling, an e-bike defeats the purpose. And the more you ride one, the less incline we are to return to a standard non-motor assisted bike. That's just the nature of human behavior.
fallback excuse?....It's not an excuse if it's a fact and works for you. Then again I really don't care what others think so much about that any way.

...ebike defeats the purpose...Defeats what purpose? Many reasons to ride a bike. There is no single purpose to riding a bike no matter what kind it is.

About your last statement; Only true if the person using one has that intent. Not everyone thinks alike. Believe me, If I feel comfortable riding a normal bike I have no qualms about riding a normal bike. I want very much to be able to return to riding a normal bike. That said, at my age and health limitations that might not happen. In the mean time I have a new way to still enjoy cycling and perhaps get myself back in better shape. If that happens I'll be a happy camper.
Likes For 01 CAt Man Do:
Old 04-25-19, 12:11 AM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by errymo
As title. Ebike becoming a trend these years. What do you think??
I live in tropical humidity mid Pacific. Ebikes climb the hills and assist leg muscle use thus minimizing sweaty smelly clothes and expenditure of energy. I'm refreshed somewhat, but not tired.

If one lives in a flat land, one may not need an ebike. An ebike is a need or desire to some people depending on musculature, age and health activity choice.
Likes For lkoyanagi:
Old 04-29-19, 01:20 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
I prefer to have the right tool for the job: when I am working out I prefer a pedal bike with a good fit and the right gears. If I am going to commute (19 miles each way, 200 feet of hills either direction) I am going to have to get en ebike in order to make it in a timely manner and still have a life. Just because I get an ebike doesnt mean I am going to start riding it on weekends for pleasure. It just means I will get about 100 more rides a year than I get now.
Not everyone would prefer to ride a normal bike if they could. It is called personal preference and freedom of choice, since the ebike became available.

I have had to ride my hybrid uphills commuting home with a load since my ebike has been in the shop waiting for a controller. My knees and thighs burn and I have to stop and rest several times on the way home while sweating. I have to shower and rest the rest of the day. Sometimes I climb more than once in a day. I dont own a car. I'm 73 years old, but have a drivers license. My hills are even tough for my ebike. Therefore, the battery lasts 10 miles, but rated for 30 miles. I may buy a backup battery for those 40 mile rides. Afterall, ebiking opens doors to more commuting and recreational riding per week. Normal bikes prevent that in my case and keep me from prolific pleasurable biking. The result of ebiking is more biking. Greater effort in biking means less biking, pleasure, exercising, happiness and exploring. I know.
Likes For lkoyanagi:
Old 04-29-19, 02:04 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lkoyanagi

I have had to ride my hybrid uphills commuting home with a load since my ebike has been in the shop waiting for a controller. My knees and thighs burn and I have to stop and rest several times on the way home while sweating. I have to shower and rest the rest of the day. Sometimes I climb more than once in a day. I dont own a car. I'm 73 years old, but have a drivers license. My hills are even tough for my ebike. Therefore, the battery lasts 10 miles, but rated for 30 miles. I may buy a backup battery for those 40 mile rides. Afterall, ebiking opens doors to more commuting and recreational riding per week. Normal bikes prevent that in my case and keep me from prolific pleasurable biking. The result of ebiking is more biking. Greater effort in biking means less biking, pleasure, exercising, happiness and exploring. I know.
^^....I like how this guy thinks. Particularly his last statements
Old 04-29-19, 12:28 PM
ging

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am very interested in your conversions, do you have any pictures, was it very difficult to convert?
Likes For ging:
Old 04-29-19, 01:44 PM
Roccorides

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For me, the better question in most cases is why do I prefer an ebike to a car/motorcycle/Uber/commuter train/city bus/ferry. The great thing about ebikes is they fill the gap and provide options between bicycles and all these other things.

Last edited by Roccorides; 04-30-19 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 02:18 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Not everyone would prefer to ride a normal bike if they could. It is called personal preference and freedom of choice, since the ebike became available.

Then for you, the correct tool is an e-bike. Simple enough. I will be happy to be alive at 73 much less still biking.
Old 04-29-19, 04:50 PM
jiw71

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. I don't see much use for fit person who rides pavement. However, all mountain, downhill and enduro riders would definitely benefit from an e-mtb Fitness is a non-issue. These bikes are just much more fun simply due to the fact that the rider can stay out longer riding technical trails and climbing elevations (to get to the good stuff) because less stamina is used. Mechanical advantage (gears, etc) is good but the electrical pedal assist trumps all.
Old 04-29-19, 04:52 PM
jiw71

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. I don't see much use for fit person who rides pavement. However, all mountain, downhill and enduro riders would definitely benefit from an e-mtb. Fitness is a non-issue. These bikes are just much more fun simply due to the fact that the rider can stay out longer riding technical trails and climbing elevations (to get to the good stuff) because less stamina is used. Mechanical advantage (gears, etc) is good but the electrical pedal assist trumps all.
Old 04-29-19, 05:07 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ging
I am very interested in your conversions, do you have any pictures, was it very difficult to convert?

My commuter
Old 04-29-19, 05:48 PM
USN

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Youtube has many DIY electric bikes, some are very simple
Old 04-30-19, 12:48 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
Then for you, the correct tool is an e-bike. Simple enough. I will be happy to be alive at 73 much less still biking.
At 45-50 start taking baby aspirin, if ok with your MD, to min. or avoid stroke, and follow MD recomm. for foods and snacks. Retire as soon as you can before 65 by notifying your current certified financial planner you want to retire early.

That's how to live long, if you want. Stress is the brain and heart killer and food is the organ and vascular killer. Your body is hosting killers, fast and slow. In the end your body will kill you from genetics, food, stress, lack of activity, underlying old age or a combo.

Bike riding and walking are my universal life extension activities I've chosen. They are work, not fun. Fun is interactions and
scenery. Let life be mind blowing no matter how you bike. Free country, free of derisive opinions. Be kind.
Old 04-30-19, 07:37 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I'm getting an ebike for longer commutes so I have a back up if I run out of human power. Mostly to extend my range. Why not it's one of the most efficient and cheapest commute vehicles.
Old 04-30-19, 07:21 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by ging
My last conversion. Bike was pulled out of neighbors trash with two flat tires. . Motor kit was $200. Small battery in the bag. Good for riding around neigborhood and errands to drugstore and library. I do lock it up.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 04-30-19 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 08:54 PM
Doc_Wui

I live in tropical humidity mid Pacific. Ebikes climb the hills and assist leg muscle use thus minimizing sweaty smelly clothes and expenditure of energy. I'm refreshed somewhat, but not tired.
But you live in Aloha land, ikoyanagi. It might be a bit expensive, but still a island paradise no? We're probably looking at a farming crisis here. So much rain and cold, they'll be late getting the seeds planted.

Old 05-01-19, 10:06 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
But you live in Aloha land, ikoyanagi. It might be a bit expensive, but still a island paradise no? We're probably looking at a farming crisis here. So much rain and cold, they'll be late getting the seeds planted.

Doctor, you're funny from the Pan Am days. Any state or country can be chided, even yours from its prejudices and misinformation. Remember,three fingers point back at you.

Being a scientist, it is surprising you haven't done due diligence in agronomy in the United States and what Hawaii is about.

Watch out for the next "Pineapple Express" which originates in Asia.
Old 05-01-19, 04:42 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
. Retire as soon as you can before 65 by notifying your current certified financial planner you want to retire early.

I had a kid at 42. The retire early ship has sailed.
Old 05-01-19, 05:13 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
For millennials and the upcoming Generation Z e-bikes may be much more popular. You have generations which are more focused on sustainable transport and moving away from fossil fuels, and there is also the fact millennials in particular can't afford cars as easily as preceding generations. An e-bike with panniers or a little trailer will accomplish almost anything, and then the only need for an automobile arises when you have big jobs. In which case you just rent a truck for a day.
Old 05-02-19, 05:58 AM
Doc_Wui

Doctor, you're funny from the Pan Am days. Any state or country can be chided, even yours from its prejudices and misinformation. Remember,three fingers point back at you.

Being a scientist, it is surprising you haven't done due diligence in agronomy in the United States and what Hawaii is about.

Watch out for the next "Pineapple Express" which originates in Asia.
Who is chiding wonderful Hawaii? Not me. The Pineapple Express doesn't reach to Illinois. We get the Polar Vortex. And the dog is willing to trade.

Old 05-02-19, 06:09 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
If I was a regular commuter, I might consider one for that purpose. For recreational riding, I may one day see the need but at just over 60 I'm hoping I've got another 20 years before it's necessary.
Old 05-06-19, 10:33 PM
Saburo10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute to work on my bicycle. I used to do it without a motor. I just enjoy riding my bike. It's my stress reliever. When I first switched to an e-bike, I was riding 20 miles each way with a lot of hills, 40 miles per day with an 8 hour shift of physical labor in the middle of that. I have done the trip many times without a motor. In the hot days of summer, it's nice to have a little assistance. I rarely use the throttle. I like the pedal assist option.
These days my commute is shorter, only 13 miles each way=26 miles per day. I still get plenty of exercise. An e-bike is a good option for people who enjoy riding a bicycle, and want to enjoy riding it further, or want to show up for work not too drenched in sweat on the hottest summer days. An e-bike is also good for those times when I have to be in traffic. I avoid riding in traffic for most of my commute but there are times when it can not be helped. When in traffic, I have found that it's safer to go fast. By using the motor in combination with pedaling, I can maintain a good safe speed when I have to. I always tell people that I do NOT recommend an e-bike for people who don't like riding a regular bike because there will be times when the bike will have problems and then you will be left pedaling a potentially heavier bike without any help from the motor. My own motor stopped working nearly two months ago so I am just using my own leg power until I get that fixed or replaced. Currently examining my options there.
Old 05-12-19, 10:27 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
I'm riding up mountains that I gave up on, years ago on a normal MTB
Old 05-14-19, 11:59 AM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I love my "standard" bicycles - I should, I've got about 68 of them! From an 84 year old racing bike to the latest carbon lightweight and most things in between! HOWEVER, three years ago aged 59 I was struck by a serious illness and the life-saving treatment I received has left me with CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) - it's way better than the alternative, but distressing to be unable to ride any of my bikes.

Then my wonderful wife bought me an e-fat bike for our 40th Wedding Anniversary. Now I can ride again and enjoy the fun I've experienced since I was a child of 4. Hopefully the assisted pedalling will enable me to gradually do more until I can return to riding my bikes. Meanwhile, the e-bike just creates the hugest grins!
Old 05-14-19, 12:01 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.