Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Is the Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 the most affordable Shimano 105 group fitness bike?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Is the Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 the most affordable Shimano 105 group fitness bike?

Old 06-03-19, 03:59 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts

Hi All,

So as some of you may know, I'm waiting for delivery on my Trek FX Sport 6. My LBS has given me an old Trek FX as a loaner until it arrives in a couple of weeks, and I've been riding it a lot. Also, I just got back into cycling after a 25+ year absence, so I am by no means an expert. In fact I joined this forum to get up to speed and learn from this wonderful community.

What I've also been doing recently is going to a bunch of different shops and riding a bunch of different bikes. One thing I've been hearing is that most employees say they have a less expensive bike that they ride around town to do chores vs. their enthusiast bike. While my $2K FXS6 isn't top of the line, it got me thinking that I would probably want a more affordable bike to ride around to do short errands.

While I have ridden a bunch of other brands in the past week or so, in addition to the FX nearly every day, and they all have their strengths and differences. I will say the one thing I'm discovering is that the ones I have liked the most (including the one I bought) all have the new Shimano 105 R7000 groupset. I just love the 11 gears in the back and the silky smooth and snappy shifting of it. I didn't even realize that was the one thing in common until I compared all the model numbers I had written down and looked online at their specs.

So if I do decide to buy a step-down bike from the FXS6, I'll probably cut the costs in the frame material (going from CF to AL) but I really would like to stay with the Shimano 105 groupset. While clicking around the web, the cheapest I've found is the Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 at $999 with that groupset. Is anyone aware of another model with that groupset for less?

Anyone else also feel like the groupset seems to be a big decider in how you feel about how a bike rides? Having tested now Cannondales, Specialized, etc. the models I liked best all had that in common. I'm not expert enough to be able to tell the other differences in the rides (like aerodynamics, etc.). Am I nuts?
Old 06-10-19, 09:36 AM
nforkbike

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I just bought a left over 2018 Fuji Absolute 1.1, with the Shimano 105, for $825, very happy with the purchase.
Old 06-10-19, 09:55 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by nforkbike
I just bought a left over 2018 Fuji Absolute 1.1, with the Shimano 105, for $825, very happy with the purchase.
May I ask if it's the older R5800 groupset vs the newer R7000? I looked on Fuji's site and judging by the pics on it, it looks like the old r5800 set (they changed the way the logos appear between the two).

Here's what the new r7000 set looks like. Note how on the crank there's a small Shimano and huge 105 on the underside of it, and how on the rear derailleur the small Shimano logo appears above a larger 105.

On the older r5800 version it only says Shimano on the crank (no 105) and it's on the top side of the crank, and the rear derailleur has Shimano to the left of 105, vs. on top of it.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-19, 04:22 PM
nforkbike

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute 1.1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I guess it is the older group set, as mine just says Shimano on the crank as you describe.
Old 06-11-19, 06:26 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by nforkbike
I guess it is the older group set, as mine just says Shimano on the crank as you describe.
Thanks for checking!
Old 06-13-19, 03:15 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Personally, I don't see a $1000 bike as being a "less expensive bike". Granted, it is cheaper than your FXS6, but it will still stand out at the bike rack compared to the others.

I'd suggest finding a <$200 good condition used bike to lock up while running chores.
Old 08-05-19, 07:33 AM
princeterry

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Hi All,

So as some of you may know, I'm waiting for delivery on my Trek FX Sport 6. My LBS has given me an old Trek FX as a loaner until it arrives in a couple of weeks, and I've been riding it a lot. Also, I just got back into cycling after a 25+ year absence, so I am by no means an expert. In fact I joined this forum to get up to speed and learn from this wonderful community.

What I've also been doing recently is going to a bunch of different shops and riding a bunch of different bikes. One thing I've been hearing is that most employees say they have a less expensive bike that they ride around town to do chores vs. their enthusiast bike. While my $2K FXS6 isn't top of the line, it got me thinking that I would probably want a more affordable bike to ride around to do short errands.

While I have ridden a bunch of other brands in the past week or so, in addition to the FX nearly every day, and they all have their strengths and differences. I will say the one thing I'm discovering is that the ones I have liked the most (including the one I bought) all have the new Shimano 105 R7000 groupset. I just love the 11 gears in the back and the silky smooth and snappy shifting of it. I didn't even realize that was the one thing in common until I compared all the model numbers I had written down and looked online at their specs.

So if I do decide to buy a step-down bike from the FXS6, I'll probably cut the costs in the frame material (going from CF to AL) but I really would like to stay with the Shimano 105 groupset. While clicking around the web, the cheapest I've found is the Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0 at $999 with that groupset. Is anyone aware of another model with that groupset for less?

Anyone else also feel like the groupset seems to be a big decider in how you feel about how a bike rides? Having tested now Cannondales, Specialized, etc. the models I liked best all had that in common. I'm not expert enough to be able to tell the other differences in the rides (like aerodynamics, etc.). Am I nuts?
checkout the CUBE SL ROAD RACE
Old 08-05-19, 06:27 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
The Giant Fastroad SL 1 has 105 this year, but with a Praxis crankset, for around 1,100 dollars.
Old 08-05-19, 07:57 PM
CarloM

Haha I could retire this thread now because I went in the opposite direction and bought a SuperSix Evo Di2 for my “other” bike. Now I have a great gravel bike and a great road bike. If I decide to get a Do Errands bike I’m okay with going way lower in spec since most markets I go to will be much closer than the distance I ride the FX and Super6.

To be honest I’m kinda digging these cruisers my LBS sells that come w fenders, racks and come in kitchen aid stand mixer colors. I think they’re called Electra Townies.