Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help upgrading wheelset

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help upgrading wheelset

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 08:22 PM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Help upgrading wheelset

I'm thinking of putting some money into a new wheelset instead of scratching that itch to get a new bike. My problem is just my inexperience on the subject. I'm trying to research wheels that will improve the performance of my bike of course, but then I start seeing options that I just don't know what they are. Campag Freehub, Shimano Freehub, 6 Bolt, Centre Lock, QR 6 Bolt, 12mm Thru Axle 6 Bolt, 12mm Thru Axle Centre Lock, QR Centre Lock??? What the heck??

I have a 2017 Fuji Sportif 1.5 as seen here and it currently has the stock wheels shown https://archive.fujibikes.com/2017/F...ortif-15-disc2

So I am very open to suggestions on better quality wheels, and I would also ask for help on what options I am supposed to choose from those I listed above.

Here is an example of some wheels I looked at which listed those options. And I don't understand the difference in these 3 wheels. These are just one example of a wheelset. I use these as an example but I hadn't decided on any particular wheelset. I do have disc brakes btw.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...ontent=Default

Old 07-24-19, 06:40 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Whether you choose 6 bolt or centrelock depends on your rotors, although you might decide to ditch existing 6 bolt rotors in favour of centrelock.

Shimano or Campy freehub depends on whether your cassette is Campy.

The other option depends on what axles your frame uses; traditional QR axles or the beefier through-axles developed for disc brakes, like motorbikes use.

Looking at the link for your bike, you definitely want the Shimano freehub. Looks like QR axles, just like a rim brake bike. As for the rotors, can't see. They probably have 6 bolts, right?
Old 07-24-19, 06:51 AM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Whether you choose 6 bolt or centrelock depends on your rotors, although you might decide to ditch existing 6 bolt rotors in favour of centrelock.

Shimano or Campy freehub depends on whether your cassette is Campy.

The other option depends on what axles your frame uses; traditional QR axles or the beefier through-axles developed for disc brakes, like motorbikes use.

Looking at the link for your bike, you definitely want the Shimano freehub. Looks like QR axles, just like a rim brake bike. As for the rotors, can't see. They probably have 6 bolts, right?

Thank you so much for the help! I believe 6 bolts is correct as the below is what I found on the current wheels.
  • Aluminum rim
  • Vera Corsa double-wall aero alloy clincher
  • Bike type: Road
  • Size: 622 x 17; 700c n
  • Type: Clincher
  • Rim material: Aluminum
  • Rim depth: 25mm
  • 22mm OD
  • Brake compatibility: 6 bolt disc 160mm
  • Front wheel specs:
    • # spokes: 24
    • Hub model: Oval Concepts
    • Axle size: 10mm thru
    • Hub width: 100mm
    • Weight: 1475g with tire and tube
  • Rear wheel specs:
    • # spokes: 28
    • Hub model: Oval Concepts
    • Axle size: 10mm thru
    • Hub width: 142mm
    • Freehub compatibility: 9-11 speed; 9/10 require spacer, not included
    • Weight: 1645g with tire and tube
  • Color: Black and green
  • Total weight: 3120g
Old 07-24-19, 08:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
6 bolt vs centerlock is solely dependent on the wheel, the only reason you would have to get 6 bolt is if you wanted to swap your stock rotors over. My stock wheels are 6 bolt, but I went centerlock on my second wheelset and bought new rotors for them (that way I could just swap wheels back and forth easily).
Old 07-24-19, 09:48 AM
bradyweb

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
6 bolt vs centerlock is solely dependent on the wheel, the only reason you would have to get 6 bolt is if you wanted to swap your stock rotors over. My stock wheels are 6 bolt, but I went centerlock on my second wheelset and bought new rotors for them (that way I could just swap wheels back and forth easily).

Thank you. Now act like I know nothing about this...because I don't. If I choose centre lock, does that mean I HAVE to buy new rotors? Or let's look at it another way; should I buy new rotors anyway because it would be advantageous to the performance of the bike since I am upgrading the wheelset?
Old 07-24-19, 10:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Six-bolt rotors can be adapted to centerlock hubs.
Old 07-25-19, 05:49 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Center lock is just nicer than 6 bolt; there's no performance advantage except how long it takes to for and remove them.

But what's this about 10mm through-axles? That seems weird. The wheels you're looking at have the normal 12mm.
Old 07-25-19, 06:20 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
At that price point, you should be looking at sub 1600g wheelsets or deeper rims. Or spend a tad more for Light Bicycle carbon wheels.
Old 07-25-19, 06:31 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Center lock is just nicer than 6 bolt; there's no performance advantage except how long it takes to for and remove them.
Performance advantage or advantage in general?

I was under the impression there is a slight breaking performance difference with center lock. Is that not correct?

Not having to adjust break calibers from time time to time, because of it getting a tad out of alignment with 6 bolt would be a nice advantage. I have had to stop plenty of times to loosen the screws on my calipers, pull the grip, and retighten them to recenter them in the middle of riding because of a sudden rub. That's a lot of unnecessary man hours over the course of your life that you could be further along in time and space instead.
Old 07-25-19, 07:07 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer

I did the same thing. Two wheelsets, one 6 bolt, one center lock, one 28mm tires and one 32mm tires. But I also have a 3rd wheelset, unbranded original from a bike and I have 37 mm on them now but also have a set of 33 knobbies I can switch to.
Old 07-25-19, 07:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bradyweb
Thank you. Now act like I know nothing about this...because I don't. If I choose centre lock, does that mean I HAVE to buy new rotors? Or let's look at it another way; should I buy new rotors anyway because it would be advantageous to the performance of the bike since I am upgrading the wheelset?
You don't absolutely have to, you could use an adapter and move your current rotors to your new wheels. But you don't really want to do that. New wheels deserve new rotors and a new cassette. There will be a time when you want to ride your old wheels, too. Your new ones might be feeling under the weather, or you might want to ride in nasty conditions you don't want to subject them too. It's really nice to have a spare set.
Old 07-25-19, 07:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Performance advantage or advantage in general?

I was under the impression there is a slight breaking performance difference with center lock. Is that not correct?

Not having to adjust break calibers from time time to time, because of it getting a tad out of alignment with 6 bolt would be a nice advantage. I have had to stop plenty of times to loosen the screws on my calipers, pull the grip, and retighten them to recenter them in the middle of riding because of a sudden rub. That's a lot of unnecessary man hours over the course of your life that you could be further along in time and space instead.
Centerlock turns your hubs into heat sinks. Not important either way to most people, but if you live near mountains and brake a lot on the way down that can be a big deal. Heat won't affect your tires/tubes like in the old days, but you can overcook your fluid. If that happens, you can still use your brake, but you lose basically all modulation, the lever becomes an on/off switch. Around here it's about $50 per line for a bleed.
Old 07-25-19, 07:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
ProWheelBuilder Signature Alloy Disc Wheel Set

Under 1,600g for the set, extremely well built, the Kinlin hoops are tough.
Old 07-25-19, 08:14 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Centerlock turns your hubs into heat sinks. Not important either way to most people, but if you live near mountains and brake a lot on the way down that can be a big deal. Heat won't affect your tires/tubes like in the old days, but you can overcook your fluid. If that happens, you can still use your brake, but you lose basically all modulation, the lever becomes an on/off switch. Around here it's about $50 per line for a bleed.
Interesting. I did not know that at all. I am a hills guy too with tons of steep descends. That's good to know because I was having buyers remorse on 6 bolt wishing I got center lock for the exact placement of the rotor between the calipers each time. Glad I brought it up.
Old 07-26-19, 04:38 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The centerlock discs on my road bike are that Shimano “Ice” thing and seem to be insulated from the hub by a polymer spider.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-26-19 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-26-19, 07:36 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Having to stop mid ride to fix pad gap shouldn't be happening, and I can't see centrelock fixing it. It'll be disc warp diet to heat and/or poor pad alignment, most likely culprit being sh0nky calipers. What brand are they?

Lol, even h0nky is censored.
Old 07-26-19, 07:38 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The centerlock discs on my road bike are that Shimano “Ice” thing and seem to be insulated from the hub by a polymer spider.
That'll be aluminum.
Old 07-26-19, 07:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

That'll be aluminum.
Ah. Anodized black?

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-26-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-26-19, 09:30 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Fo sho