Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel-timed clicking noise in certain gears

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 07:58 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts

Kinda new (2,000 miles) Domane SLR6 with Bontrager Paradigm Comp clincher wheels. Clicks once per wheel revolution while peddling, but the odd thing is that the clicks go away when I shift down to the next larger cog and return when I shift back to one of the middle cogs. I do solemnly swear that the clicking is in time with the wheels and not the crank, that the spokes are all equally tensioned, that the valve stems are screwed down snugly, that the magnet is not touching anything, and that cleaning and lubing the freehub (though without replacing the bearings) had no effect. Help me and I'll buy you a high-alcohol-content IPA.
Old 07-27-19, 09:32 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I had a similar issue - a clicking noise when I pedaled. I couldn't recreate it on the stand so I couldn't figure it out. Brought it in to the shop and they found the bearings in the bottom bracket were shot and replaced them. Problem solved. But your bike seems to be too new to have this problem.
Old 07-27-19, 09:35 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Drivetrain noises are F - U - N to diagnose! A little more detail might help. Can you pinpoint where the wheel clicks in the revolution? I'd want to say you have something stuck to your tire, but you say it's only under pedaling. I wouldn't be so quick to say it isn't your rear mech, since that by definition is coupled to the wheel as long as you're pedaling.

Since the cassette is external, look over the cogs carefully, maybe you have something stuck or bent that's hitting the frame once per revolution.

Can you put it in a repair stand or trainer to listen closer? What hubs are you using?
Old 07-27-19, 09:54 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Thank you Mr. Practical. I should have made this more explicit--the click sound occurs once per WHEEL revolution while I'm pedaling, so it can't be coming from the bottom bracket, but I am holding out the hope that the cause is the rear wheel bearings. I'll look for you at the next Kelly Brush Century ride.
Old 07-27-19, 09:59 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Thanks, Mr. Sam! I'll obsess over the wheel location of the click on this afternoon's ride.
Old 07-27-19, 01:29 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Check to make certain that the lock ring is clamping the cassette properly and that there are no missing/misplaced spacers. It is possible that the cogs which are clicking are the un-attached ones and the quiet ones are fastened together on a carrier. Also check to be certain that the rear derailleur or its shift wire are not hitting something like the magnet or other wheel part in certain gears and not others.
Old 07-27-19, 04:17 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I once had a wheel magnet sensor innards break loose. This made the once-per-rotation click most but not all the time. Tried gluing it back together but no luck. A new sensor solved the problem. Try tapping the sensor to listen for loose parts or take it off. Open up the battery cover as well and check inside. A long shot but worth checking.
Old 07-27-19, 04:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
Another set of ears riding with you to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from might help. It is really hard to figure out where a noise is actually coming from while riding. Too much other noise and not able to focus long and hard enough to figure it out for sure. Those kind of clicking noises can drive you crazy.
Old 07-28-19, 09:01 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Well, after fifty miles today, I determined that the clicks occur once per wheel revolution only when I am pedaling in one specific cog, the fifth largest one (out of 11), in either chain ring.

More research tomorrow.
Old 07-29-19, 09:04 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
It's probably your skewer or through axle. Remove, clean, lube and torque through axle to spec. If QR, make sure it's tight.
Old 07-29-19, 09:14 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Derailleur hanger straight?
Cassette lockring tight?
Cassette tooth bent?
Rear shifting tuned perfectly?
Old 07-29-19, 12:25 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
Derailleur hanger straight?
Cassette lockring tight?
Cassette tooth bent?
Rear shifting tuned perfectly?
Hanger rub is continuous, not what OP described.
Messy shifting sounds like messy shifting, not a once per wheel rev click.

Tooth bent? Lockring loose? Maybe. A bad press link job or missing link would be every chain rev. Bad pulley bushing/ bearing is usually a rattle and easy enough to diagnose. Debris in the cassette could be hitting the chain only in the 5th cog, but that's easily checked.
Old 07-29-19, 12:53 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Electronic shifting?

Moishe,

I want to confirm that your bike is using the Di2 system. I have no experience with it, though someone may have.

I noticed Di2 rear derailleur clicking under power search results on other forums, sadly with no posted solution. Those posters tried reindexing, other cassettes and wheels, new hangers, but the closest i saw to a fix was top swap for the right cassette or file the sticky cog tooth so it doesn't catch.

Here's a similar thread:
Clicking/ ticking Ultegra 6800

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 07-30-19 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 01:31 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Hanger rub is continuous, not what OP described.
A bent hanger can definitely cause bad shifting in one (or a few cogs) anywhere on the cassette. In this case, it’s likely that the chain is hitting a cassette shift aid once per wheel revolution. On Di2 or eTap, the shifter can be microadjusted to quiet that cog. With mechanical derailleurs, the best bet is to straighten the derailleur hanger.
Old 07-30-19, 09:45 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Clicking mystery solved! Replaced by a market mystery!

It turns out that the clicking was caused by the space between the fifth and sixth largest sprockets on my Ultegra 11-speed cassette being narrower than between all the other intersprocket spaces. The built-in spacer on the 20-22 tooth combo unit (the fourth and fifth largest sprockets) was too narrow by a millimeter or two. When I replaced this combo unit with the 20-21 tooth combo that originally came on my Dough-main slr6, the intersprocket spaces were equal and the clicking was gone.

This raises the market mystery. I can’t imagine that Shimano’s quality control is poor enough to produce this defective two-sprocket combo unit. Are there such things as counterfeit Ultegra 11-speed cassettes out there in the Gray Market? I wouldn’t think that a counterfeit manufacturer could make enough money peddling bogus cassettes. Some Taiwan e-Bayer is selling these 20-22 tooth units, which are otherwise hard to find—is there a chance they’re genuine?