Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Am I SOL with my pre-2009 Sturmey-Archer X-RK8 and vertical dropouts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 09:57 AM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Apparently, the bike I am trying to put this on has the worst vertical dropouts in the world. No matter what I do I can't get this hub into a position where I can use the non-turn washers.

1) Is it possible to convert this older style ST hub to the newer style with the adjustable fulcrum lever?
2) I could come up with some ghetto solution, like using an 8mm wrench as a non-turn washer, but that is lame.
3) I have 10 mm torque arms from ebike build, maybe use shims with those??
4) I found non-turn washers with different angles, but I am not sure this will help, because the fulcrum lever is the problem. I want the axle to sit vertical but ST fulcrums from this era are either angled or horizontal example:

This is probably an obscure problem since this hubs haven't existed since 2009 but worth a try! I am considering selling the wheel I just built and buy something else, but I might end up with the same issue.
Old 07-31-19, 01:34 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Is it that the axle diameter is a bit too big to rotate freely in the slot? SA rear axles are typically 10.3 mm and the drop outs are expecting 10 mm. You could file the dropout slightly - shouldn't take much.
Old 07-31-19, 03:49 PM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Is it that the axle diameter is a bit too big to rotate freely in the slot? SA rear axles are typically 10.3 mm and the drop outs are expecting 10 mm. You could file the dropout slightly - shouldn't take much.
What do you mean by "rotate freely"? What happened is, I installed it initially with the non-turn washers, but they don't hold the axle in place properly because there is no place to put them so they "lock". So, under force, the entire axle slipped in my dropouts.

Oh, are you saying file the drop so I can insert the axle flats horizontally? Hmm ya I can do that but then I'd need the horizontal washers. The only place they can go is if the tab is on the bottom.
Old 07-31-19, 05:53 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
OK, I think I made some assumptions about your issue that resulted in an incorrect visualization. After some thought I think I've got the picture now. Forget about filing. Although that would align the fulcrum lever correctly, you'd still (as you pointed out) have to find appropriate anti-rotation washers. I think your only options are to either fabricate a new fulcrum or modify the one you have. The modification I'm thinking of is to rivet a thin piece of stainless over the axle hole, then drilling and filing a new axle hole with flats at the right angle for your dropouts. Making a new one may not take that much more time.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-19, 09:26 PM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
OK, I think I made some assumptions about your issue that resulted in an incorrect visualization. After some thought I think I've got the picture now. Forget about filing. Although that would align the fulcrum lever correctly, you'd still (as you pointed out) have to find appropriate anti-rotation washers. I think your only options are to either fabricate a new fulcrum or modify the one you have. The modification I'm thinking of is to rivet a thin piece of stainless over the axle hole, then drilling and filing a new axle hole with flats at the right angle for your dropouts. Making a new one may not take that much more time.

Good luck.
Well, actually, your post did help because for some reason I didn't think about orienting it in the horizontal position. After some trial-and-error I managed to position one of the torque arms to possibly do the job, and horizontally I was able to position two lock washers on the other side, one on both sides of the dropout. So it might just be ok like this (though I ordered some vertical dropout washers as well).

The dropouts are wide enough that the flats fit in there ok, so will have to test. Here's a pic:

Pre-2009 X-RK8 torque arm

When I get the vertical washers I will add them in. Sucks that like no one in Canada seems to sell Sturmey-archer! I always have to order from US or Europe.
Old 08-01-19, 12:51 AM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Actually, the largest Canadian wholesaler, livetoplaysports, recently picked up Sturmey-Archer. They carry 5-speed and 8-speed hubs and parts. Have a look at the listings on their site.
Old 08-01-19, 09:00 AM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Numerozero
Actually, the largest Canadian wholesaler, livetoplaysports, recently picked up Sturmey-Archer. They carry 5-speed and 8-speed hubs and parts. Have a look at the listings on their site.
Oh cool, thanks for the tip. They don't seem to have anyone listed as dealers yet but maybe in time.
Old 08-02-19, 09:40 AM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Nearly every LBS in the lower mainland is a Live to Play Sports dealer. None of them stock Sturmey Archer parts. Just ask them to order what you need.
Old 08-03-19, 12:11 AM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It's all good. I already ordered the shiz from UK. I am in Okanagan, the reason I don't go to most bike shops is the extreme overpricing compared to Europe. Shimano gets away with it due to monopoly. Really, that was pissing me off a lot recently. Like why should they dictate where I can buy something? Isn't that the definition of a cartel? Lol.
Likes For Aquakitty: