Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

CD disc changer... any recommendations?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 08-08-19, 05:03 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6683 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 86 Posts

Yeah, I know, who listens to CDs these days... SIGH...

So I am looking on Amazon, there are quite a few 100, 300 and 400 disc changers out there, many "discontinued by manufacture," no doubt due to the itunes/mp3 craze... but screw that... I own hundreds of the damn discs.

So any particular recommendations? Seems a few of the Sony models have a tendency to break a belt... and I have never been a huge Sony fan.

So beyond Sony, anyone have a unit they really like? No doubt discontinued by manufacture, and probably available for cheap, these days.
Old 08-08-19, 05:53 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
... but screw that... I own hundreds of the damn discs.
So? Rip them to MP4.

Big job but worth it.
Old 08-08-19, 06:19 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
So? Rip them to MP4.

Big job but worth it.
MP3 can't be as good of quality as the CD, unless you have a gazillion terabyte hard drives to hold it all. Fine for crappy audio systems, but noticeable if you have the audio bug in your ear and have a decent setup.
Old 08-08-19, 06:29 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
MP3 can't be as good of quality as the CD, unless you have a gazillion terabyte hard drives to hold it all. Fine for crappy audio systems, but noticeable if you have the audio bug in your ear and have a decent setup.
Sorry meant mp3

And it is not noticeable at all. At least not to me. Every once in a while you get a bad rip then it is noticeable.
Old 08-08-19, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9030 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 410 Posts
Funny. Just last night I was contemplating the existence of the 5 disc changers I have in my bedroom. I think it's a Kenwood. I haven't used it in forever. I listen to CDs on the first floor using my DVD/CD player, which is a Sony and only holds one disc at a time. It's not a Blu Ray so I don't watch videos with it. What I lack in modern electronics I make up for with a kick-ass vacuum.
Old 08-08-19, 08:47 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3865 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 236 Posts
I do have multiple cases of plastic relics from the '90s-- probably over 300 CDs in total. Not a single one of them has seen daylight in nearly a decade.

I had a Pioneer 100-Disc for many years, and have nothing really nice to say about it. It worked, but disc changes were slow, and it predated any fancy features, so it required manually logging disc locations with pen and paper. It is long gone.

I signed up for Pandora right around the time I got into cycling, and have used my iTunes (with around 12k songs in it) just a handful of times since.

Start ripping those CDs into FLAC or Apple Lossless (ALAC.) Or even just 320kbps mp3. Storage is so damn cheap today-- my media server for movies has around 400 movies on it and is ~1/3 full. You could fit every CD you've ever owned at high bitrate for under $100.
Old 08-08-19, 08:59 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 142 Posts
I went through this about 7-8 years ago. Copied all my CDs to MP3 and have never regretted it. Occasionally I'll notice some sound quality issues but overall not really. If I was a super picky princess-and-the-pea audiophile I'm sure I would hate it but I'm not. Most of the time I'm listening to music in my car or on my bike so there's plenty of ambient noise that super high quality isn't really an issue.
Old 08-08-19, 09:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8501 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 264 Posts
I digitized my music and got rid of those oversized coasters.
Old 08-08-19, 10:34 AM
genec
genec

Ahhh you guys...

Yeah, I want quality audio.

I already stream... Oh never mind.
Old 08-08-19, 11:13 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
CD's are dead. You should get one of these:

Holds 300 songs!!!
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-08-19, 11:38 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
From what I can recall of the larger format disc changers was that they were mostly problematic. I think the best bet is to go with something like a carousel changer. I had a Yamaha that performed wonderfully for the purpose until it was stolen in a robbery. I just never bothered to replace it afterwards.

If you have the time, patience, and ability I would also recommend digitizing the music. Personally, if I had it to do over again I would choose to go lossless as it's just a better quality of sound. MP3 compresses the music even at high bit rates and with (some) of your titles you will definitely be able to tell a difference if listening on a quality system. If you are playing through average headphones or the "all in one" stereo/computer speakers I would say it won't matter.

I would recommend keeping the CD after burning such that when/if you suffer a data loss of corruption of files you can go back to the source to re-burn. I didn't heed that advice and lost a great collection of music that I still haven't fully recovered from in titles as well as quality.
By and large however, I think that with the streaming services available out there now I would not go backwards (insomuch as actually purchasing physical disc/record) at this time.
Old 08-08-19, 11:48 AM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I started ripping my 3000 CD collection, but gave up after about 100. Way to0 time consuming.
At home I have no issue finding a CD and playing it. Not sure why I'd want or need instant access. But for portable music mp3 is essential.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 08-08-19, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Quoted: 9030 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I started ripping my 3000 CD collection
I only have a couple hundred.

When you are looking for one do you ever see others and think "What was I thinking when I bought that?!?!"?
Old 08-08-19, 02:08 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I have few albums I wonder why I bought. I find I still dip into much of my library. I also find I pick CDs to play more often that pick from one of the 100 or so albums I have digitized since I've overplayed those in my car/bike/traveling. I need to rip a new batch soon.
Old 08-08-19, 02:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 135 Posts
Ahhh you guys...

I'm with you. I ripped all my music to lossless format and I stream it. I also use CD players. It tough to beat a yamaha disc player especially if you get a manufacturer's refurbished one:

$200 refurbished from accessories4less:

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...xchange/1.html

I buy pretty much all my audio gear refurbished and I've had a really good experience with this outfit. Heck they have the Onkyo 6 CD player at $89.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-08-19 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 02:47 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 74 Posts
We bought a used 200 disc Sony changer for the office years ago and used it for several years before we sold it to a friend that had a huge collection of CDs. He used it for several years too before he passed away, and I wonder if it'd going to outlive the rest of us.
Old 08-08-19, 04:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
CD's are dead. You should get one of these:

Holds 300 songs!!!
You picked the wrong example. That's the 30-gB Zune player. Up to 7,500 songs!
Old 08-08-19, 04:48 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
Time to upgrade my Zune!
Old 08-08-19, 05:37 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
At what quality... itune or MP3. Heard any cymbols crash realistically, lately.

And besides... I ALREADY OWN a huge collection of CDs.
Old 08-08-19, 05:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8501 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 264 Posts
Ahhh you guys...

Hire musicians to come play for you?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-08-19, 05:47 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 74 Posts
I moved 6 months ago and still haven't unpacked my CDs yet. I had more of them than space, and just haven't had the desire to deal with this yet.
Old 08-08-19, 06:58 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I triple checked to make sure this was not a really old thread someone brought back from the dead

Rip to FLAC. They are lossless unlike mp3 and any other of the compressed formats. A lot of portable devices that can play mp3 also play FLAC. 1000 CDs would be about 350-450 GB total or about 350-450 MB per CD. Buy a second portable USB drive as a backup for your time, you still have the original CD. Another option if you don't want to spend all that time ripping is I think I see CD changers at Good Will every other time I go, not a 100 carousel as often though. I'd do a FLAC backup anyway. Worst case if you damage a CD you can make the best possible replacement audio CD from the FLAC. Unrelated but my first choice when I want to buy something is a used CD online. They are far better quality and is usually cheaper than buying the compressed version from iTunes, Amazon, Google, Pandora etc... And you can rip/convert it or do what you want with it.

With my home music setup and with my portable and headphones I am a huge fan of lossless and can notice artifacts on many familiar songs with any bitrate with compression. I did a test a few years ago with "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" with probably 25 different MP3 conversions of various bitrates, options, and different versions of MP3 encoders and was never really happy. That being said 256 vbr is what I use when I need an MP3 and for most music in most situations I am fine with that. Many tracks of "new" to me music I've never heard an uncompressed version so I guess I don't know what I am missing but I can point out flaws, for all I know it could be a bad master or source mix and the uncompressed original CD won't be much better. Listen to 3:00-3:20 of Zeppelin "Whole Lotta Love" for an example. No vinly, CD, or rerelease remaster CD version can fix that way overdriven studio master

Last edited by u235; 08-08-19 at 07:33 PM.
Likes For u235:
Old 08-08-19, 09:00 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Crutchfield still sells them (crutchfield.com). I bought one from them about a 3 years ago (NAD brand), a single-disc player, and run about 3-4 CDs through it per week. So far no problems. I just cant see the point in transferring all my CDs (maybe 500?) to a digital format when I got it good with the CD player, amp, and great headphones to listen to it.

BTW: I desperately need some good floor speakers. my old BIC Venturi-5's went wonky (the separation electronics failed), the 10" bass speakers were torn so I replaced with some from a guitar cabinet, but the sound is less-than-ideal.
Old 08-09-19, 03:18 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I only have a couple hundred.

When you are looking for one do you ever see others and think "What was I thinking when I bought that?!?!"?
I have over 800 LPs, hundreds of 7" in 33 and 45 rpm, dozens of factory recorded 7" reels, laserdiscs, CEDs, VHS, BETA and I gave all my 78s to a friend's late mother years ago, she enjoyed them a ton. I just don't have a working standalone DVD player, all of those get watched on my computers.

Pioneers are probably faster than an AMI/Rowe or Seeburg jukebox though and I don't care about the disc changing speed. I have some of them ripped to hard drives and optical discs as well but I tend to do this on an as-needed basis. I make mixes and Christmas albums that way and I also recommend a program called Audacity to clean your files up and such (you'll have to download a LAME encoder separately for MP3s because that allows Audacity to be a free program).

Hint: It will fix a lot of horrid audio for videos if you want to record them, you'd be surprised how some simple techniques rescue bad audio, but I do this for my own purposes, not commercial.

It made cassette recording more fun, that's for sure.

Mind you I just play it. I don't care what format or how.

PS One thing you may have forgotten is that Pioneer and Sony had a version of universal system link (basically using a 3.5mm male-male stereo cable to patch components together for central control (so you could dub tracks to a cassette in whatever order, or turn components on and off from the receiver/control center).

Sure, I may have never really used it but it's still a neat idea.

Also keep in mind that the Pioneer changers will probably be the most abundant and longest-lived. The six-disc cartridge players are not as desirable anymore, however, they are too much trouble to service IMO.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!

Last edited by Rollfast; 08-09-19 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 05:44 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Hire musicians to come play for you?
Don't have to hire them. My wife IS a musician, and we regularly have others over for jam and practice sessions.

This is one reason I have great speakers around the house, and play CDs. They tend to be critical of MP3s.

Look, we all enjoy a "quick fix" of a beloved song... but for serious listening... well, ya wanna do it right.

And frankly, some of these folks also bring their own latest studio CDs... so "ripping it" is kinda out of the question. "Oh sure Dave, let's hear track 5... as soon as my PC finishes with it."

I may go with two CD players... one a 5 disc unit for quick changes, the other, maybe a 100 disc juke box... especially if I can link that to an ipad for music selection.

Right now we have a single disc player... I just want to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.