Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

shimano free hub replacement?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 09:21 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I bought a used wheelset that has shimano deore fh-mt525 rear hub. I noticed there was play in the free hub. Greasing the bearings did not help, so it appears the free hub body needs to be replaced, unless there's an adjustment I'm missing. They do sell m525 free hub bodies for pretty cheap, but I'm wondering if there are better alternatives out there that would fit on there.
Old 08-12-19, 09:27 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Is the cassette body loose on the hub, or does it somehow have loose bearing in the freewheel part?
Old 08-12-19, 09:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Shimano likely has a "higher grade" unit that will fit the hubshell interface, they've used the same lobed design for many decades. But one challenge with replacing freehub bodies with non spec ones is the resulting changes to the RH axle bearing location, it's sealing design and how to blend the new and old to end up with a working set up. It's not uncommon to need to change the RH cone and/or spacers to do this.

Regardless of the grade of the freehub body it will wear and, if used and maintained as before, have much the same expected life span. Why? Because the wear/stressed parts will still be steel as before. Andy
Old 08-13-19, 01:46 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Is the cassette body loose on the hub, or does it somehow have loose bearing in the freewheel part?
idk, but the hub bearings are well greased and properly tightened. but there's still some lateral play in the cassette. it likely won't affect shifting very much in the bike i'm running, but still something i'll have to address one of these days.
Old 08-13-19, 01:48 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Shimano likely has a "higher grade" unit that will fit the hubshell interface, they've used the same lobed design for many decades. But one challenge with replacing freehub bodies with non spec ones is the resulting changes to the RH axle bearing location, it's sealing design and how to blend the new and old to end up with a working set up. It's not uncommon to need to change the RH cone and/or spacers to do this.

Regardless of the grade of the freehub body it will wear and, if used and maintained as before, have much the same expected life span. Why? Because the wear/stressed parts will still be steel as before. Andy
replacement in kind would be the easiest thing to do. I'm just wondering if later deore designs are compatible with the m525, assuming that the engineering of the free hubs in the alter designs are better and make them longer lasting.
Old 08-13-19, 01:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've used a variety of Shimano freehubs.

As far as I can tell, the bearing races are good in all of their freehubs.

I haven't had any issues with the freehub internals.

Pretty much any 8/9/10 speed Shimano freehub should fit. Don't get 11 or 12 speed.
Old 08-13-19, 10:09 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I've taken apart standard 7 and 8 speed freehubs and a Titanium one. There is almost no discernable difference.
Old 08-13-19, 03:36 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
idk, but the hub bearings are well greased and properly tightened. but there's still some lateral play in the cassette. it likely won't affect shifting very much in the bike i'm running, but still something i'll have to address one of these days.
Yeah well, you want to find out... It's more likely the cassette body is loose on the hub, which is an easy fix, but you better get into it before the hub is destroyed.

If it's play in the cassette body itself, it is possible to disassemble it and remove a shim or two, but you need to make a tool to engage the slots in the bearing cup.
Old 08-13-19, 04:04 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
How much play, in mm?