Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need some Recommendations For Floor Pump or Air Compressor

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-13-19, 12:32 PM
CricketUSA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone

I am looking for an inexpensive quality floor pump or an electric air compressor that can handle Schrader valves well and pump tires up to at most 120 psi.

I am thinking of getting a floor pump.... but on the other hand, a small portable electric air compressor that I can plug into a wall outlet and that uses 120 volt AC current would also be nice... as I can also use it on the tires of my car if needed.

Does anyone have some recommendations? I see some inexpensive compressors available at Home Depot but not sure if these would fulfill my needs.

Cricket
Old 08-13-19, 01:02 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I picked up at Lowe's a couple of years ago. Works great on the car or bike as well as motorcycles and ATVs. I also use it for a few pneumatic nailers I use from time to time. But since it's noisy and I usually ride before anyone else in the house is awake I normally just air my bicycle tires up with a cheap Bell floor pump. It has both Schrader and Presta valve connections. I think it was $15 at Academy. It's worked flawlessly for almost a year now.

-Matt

Bell pump
Old 08-13-19, 01:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Floor pumps build upper body strength for cyclists.
Old 08-13-19, 01:34 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
I have a small pancake compressor but find myself usually using a floor pump for my bike tires. I find it easier to get to the desired pressure. Plus, I don't have to wait for it to build up pressure before I can use it.
Old 08-13-19, 04:07 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
I've got two compressors, one a cheapo from Harbor Freight, the other a DeWalt:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-...sor-61615.html

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWFP55...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The Harbor Freight one is kept in the basement for a hobby I'm involved in. The DeWalt one is significantly less noisy and a better unit all around (should be costing about 4 times more than the Harbor Freight one). The DeWalt is in the garage where the bikes are. Like Ogsarg, it's a rare time that I use it for the bicycles. I usually use the floor pump for that. By the time I weave my way to the other side of my wife's car to the DeWalt, change the attachment to fit a presta and then hang that 30 feet of hose back up, I could have been already finished with the floor pump.
Old 08-13-19, 04:18 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Topeak Joe Blow
Old 08-13-19, 04:33 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
What are you running that has a schrader valve and needs 100+ PSI?
Old 08-14-19, 06:11 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Topeak Joe Blow
That's a good recommendation. I also like anything from Lezyne. I have two Lezyne pumps, and their screw on chucks are actually easier than many clamp-on varieties.

My Specialized pump has the most stable base of any pump that I have, and I like the air-release button built into the handle. The clamp-on chuck is a kind of stubborn to deal with though.
Old 08-14-19, 06:50 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
If you didn't have a car, I'd definitely recommend a manual floor pump.

Since you have a car, you might as well get an air compressor. It sure is nice to top off all the tires you have with something you have at home.

About two years ago, my stepson moved away for a year so I bought him a cheap pancake compressor as seen below. Only hits 100 psi, which was more than enough for his car and his bicycle with schraeder valves.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ANVIL-2G...SABEgJ4qvD_BwE
Old 08-14-19, 07:13 AM
teejaywhy

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
That's a good recommendation. I also like anything from Lezyne. I have two Lezyne pumps, and their screw on chucks are actually easier than many clamp-on varieties.

My Specialized pump has the most stable base of any pump that I have, and I like the air-release button built into the handle. The clamp-on chuck is a kind of stubborn to deal with though.
My LBS that hosts group rides has a Specialized pump that they bring out so everyone can top off their tires. It is solid and was was under consideration but I ended up getting the Topeak with a REI 20% coupon.

Whichever, I recommend a steel one vs. plastic.

Agree, a compressor is a valuable tool for the garage and I have one, but it's sometimes quicker and easier to use the floor pump.

I also have the Lezyne Road Drive hand pump that is good quality.
Old 08-14-19, 07:24 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
... I ended up getting the Topeak with a REI 20% coupon.
I had a Joe Blow for a while and was pretty happy w/it. I like that Topeak makes it easy to buy replacement chucks and hoses. I had put a double length of hose on mine, and I really liked having it extra long like that. So much easier when the bike is high up in the workstand.
Old 08-14-19, 07:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I think for general use for bicycles a floor pump is far more convenient than an air compressor. I have both, and I never use my air compressor for my bike. Heck, I’ve never even needed it to set up tubeless.

But if you ARE going to get a small compressor, I cannot recommend this one highly enough: Makita MAC700

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/MAC700

It is small, but puts out a respectable amount of airflow for it’s size. It is oil-lubed (as opposed to oil-less), so it is MUCH quieter than most small compressors. It also seems to draw less power on start up. Even with questionable electric feeds it has never bogged down or trips a breaker on me.

I used to be a carpenter by trade, and have used many different small, portable compressors. This has been my favorite one by far

The only downside to it is that it is fairly heavy, due to the cast iron cylinder head. But if you are not driving it around job sites ( which I no longer do), it’s really a non-issue.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-14-19 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 08:13 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I am a huge fan of Joe Blow Sport, the yellow one. I have had two of these, one at my shop and one at home, for 3 years or so with no problems. Very easy to get accurate high pressure and a lot quieter than an air compressor. I have a large industrial air compressor I use at my shop , but not for bike tires. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 08-14-19, 04:31 PM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I have a big compressor and a park tool inflator head. But I rarely use it. I find myself going to my specialized floor pump. Just handier. About $60.
Old 08-14-19, 07:15 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I have a two decade old Silca which I retrofitted with a Topeak Smarthead that has worked great for 20 years, is silent, portable, reliable and takes up next to no room in the garage. It also works great for topping off the car tires when needed. About 20 pumps per 1 psi but I look at it as good exercise.
Old 08-14-19, 08:26 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I got a 6 gallon pancake compressor. Plug it in and let it fill to capacity. Then I unplug it and carry it to each car tire. Has enough capacity to keep 4 truck tires topped off. Sometimes use it for the beach bikes, Mostly use a Leyzene floor drive for the road bikes.

https://www.craftsman.com/products/6-gal-air-compressor
Old 08-14-19, 08:45 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have had good service from my Topeak Joe Blow Sport floor pump since it's the quickest option for bike tires I also have a small compressor from Home Depot in a rolling suitcase style housing that actually helps with the noise. I use it for car and motorcycle tires and a blow gun but I;m thinking of getting a Prestaflate because I'm getting old.
Old 08-14-19, 09:40 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I got a 6 gallon pancake compressor. Plug it in and let it fill to capacity. Then I unplug it and carry it to each car tire. Has enough capacity to keep 4 truck tires topped off. Sometimes use it for the beach bikes, Mostly use a Leyzene floor drive for the road bikes.

https://www.craftsman.com/products/6-gal-air-compressor
And that's how I do it with my 7.5 gallon compressor on wheels. Plug it in, let it fill up, top off 6 bicycle tires and at least 10 car tires, including spares.

Point being, if I plug in my compressor, I'm filling up many tires at a time and I do it about every two weeks.
Old 08-15-19, 08:59 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Specialized

I picked up a floor pump after being dissatisfied with the effort required to use the 12v portable compressor I keep in the car. It's a Specialized brand, and I picked it up because it topped out above the 110 psi I use in my 23c tires, and has a dual head design for Schrader and Presta valves. The gauge is a little hard to read while you're pumping, but there's a dial indicator you can set so you get the gauge needle in the neighborhood. It takes me less than half the time, is silent (I try to get out while the kiddos are still sleeping), and it cost under $40 at a LBS. I could have spend more for more pressure, but I don't ride tires that need it. I think the other benefit is a better dial. I didn't see the utility in another $30 for a nicer dial and pressures I don't need.
Old 08-15-19, 10:05 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Another vote here for a Topeak Joe Blow. Love mine, I honestly never even bother firing up my compressor. The hand pump is faster, quiet and has a gauge.
Old 08-15-19, 12:10 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
My LBS that hosts group rides has a Specialized pump that they bring out so everyone can top off their tires. It is solid and was was under consideration but I ended up getting the Topeak with a REI 20% coupon.

Whichever, I recommend a steel one vs. plastic.

Agree, a compressor is a valuable tool for the garage and I have one, but it's sometimes quicker and easier to use the floor pump.

I also have the Lezyne Road Drive hand pump that is good quality.
I have one from Specialized, and have been using it for the past eight years. It has held up very well. I use it for the bikes, motorcycle, and two cars.

I also have a small air tank, but don't use it often anymore, the Specialized floor pump get more use. The air tank gets filled at a gas station, using their compressor, then can be used to inflate tires. Unfortunately, the gas station I got air at, is no longer there. Others in the area have the paid air compressors, so it isn't worth it for me anymore.

Last edited by phughes; 08-15-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 06:00 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think for general use for bicycles a floor pump is far more convenient than an air compressor. I have both, and I never use my air compressor for my bike. Heck, I’ve never even needed it to set up tubeless.
I have both too. My compressor is used primarily for pneumatic tools and paint spraying. I do use it to fill up my portable air tank with which I top up my car and trailer tires. For me, it's just so much simpler to grab my floor pump hanging in the garage. Even if I have to switch the head around for a particular valve I can very quickly bring my bikes up to the right pressure. If I were to use my compressor, I would have to turn it on and let it come up to pressure, take my bike over to where the hose is, find my air chuck (and the presta to shraeder adapter if necessary), find my tire gauge (which I would have to use several times during the process) and basically waste 15 minutes of riding time.

I think having a compressor is a fine thing, but justifying its purchase for filling up bike tires is a stretch. On the other hand, if you buy one you may find other uses. My wife asks me to blow the dust out of her vacuum cleaner every time she changes the bag.
Old 08-15-19, 06:06 PM
teejaywhy

Wondering if they make a floor pump better suited to low pressure / high volume mountain bike tires? more suited than the Joe Blow which sure takes a lot of strokes to pump up my 29x2.3 tires.
Old 08-15-19, 07:17 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

But if you ARE going to get a small compressor, I cannot recommend this one highly enough: Makita MAC700

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/MAC700

It is small, but puts out a respectable amount of airflow for it’s size. It is oil-lubed (as opposed to oil-less), so it is MUCH quieter than most small compressors. It also seems to draw less power on start up. Even with questionable electric feeds it has never bogged down or trips a breaker on me.
I have multiples of both floor pumps and air compressors. I virtually never use the air compressor on bike tires. I only used it once to seat some tubeless fatties, and that was only because I was in a rush to get them mounted.

My favorite pump is an ancient Silca Pista that has been rebuilt too many times to count. But this would be my last choice for Schrader valves. Of my other pumps only my Scott or the Topeak Joe Blow would be my choice for Schraders.

I've never been happy with any of the inexpensive air compressors. Most are extremely noisy, and don't last long, even in light use. I like my Bostitch compressor but absolutely love my California Air Tools compressor. Powerful yet quiet enough to run in the basement without my wife complaining or needing hearing protection. It's a little more expensive but oh so worth it.
Old 08-15-19, 08:03 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Floor pumps build upper body strength for cyclists.
Especially when pumping up car tires...... Whew !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.