Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I need help dealing with the rain!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I need help dealing with the rain!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 06:19 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
My bike has fenders and mudflaps, wearing a rain poncho I don't get wet from any "side" if I ride slowly. Strong winds can be a problem, though.
Old 09-03-14, 07:33 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rain = getting wet

Some tricks: rain jacket, plastic bag over helmet, waterproof booties, fenders, rubber gloves, long lycra leggings or actual rain pants. But, nothing works perfectly if its a downpour. Best you can hope for is staying warm.
Old 09-03-14, 07:34 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FedericoMena
Waterproof shoes are nice. Some people swear by tying plastic bags around regular shoes, but I've never tried that
I put plastic bags over my cycling shoes and then my booties over top to keep the bags in place. I then put a velcro pant band around the tops of the booties to prevent rain from getting in from the top (not perfect but better). My feet generally arrive dry.
Old 09-03-14, 08:45 PM
TrekNerd

Bikes: Trek Domane 2.0, Trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been bike commuting for about a year and the best equipment I have used for dealing with rain is as follows: rain jacket, fenders, and lights. No matter what you do you will get wet. I also learned to adjust my braking points as I travel along busy roads with curves. Highly reflective tape will help as well.
Old 09-03-14, 08:54 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I just don't mind getting wet as long as the temp is over 55 or so.

Below that I have a vented/breathable J&G jacket that I paid about $100 for. It's lasted years, I wear it all winter as a windbreaker/top layer. bicycleclothing.com

With various things under that, that takes me all the way down to below zero.

Below about 40 I start wearing rain pants as well, from the same source, about $80. Also very long lasting. Above that I just let my legs get wet.

I have booties but I find them a gigantic pain in the ass and I would rather just let my feet get wet than to deal with them.
How do you like your J&G jacket, strictly as a rain jacket? I'm thinking of getting one soon.

Does to keep the rain out fairly well? Does it breathe fairly well? I don't wanna make my own gravy (read: sweat) too badly.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-14, 11:57 PM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
I've found that if you ride in the rain,you get wet.....Either from the inside or the outside,take your pick.

If it's a warm weather storm,I just get wet...If it's a cold weather storm,I get wet and work on staying warm.
I live in Vancouver, BC; similar climate to the OP. I generally have the same philosophy for summer rains when it's warm; I just wear quick drying clothes and have an extra set of socks with me in case they don't dry completely during the day at the office.

That said, I do have a (relatively expensive) Showers Pass Elite 2.1 jacket with pit zips and other good venting features that I wear when things start to cool off; when it's 5 degrees C (41F) and rainy, I wear a thin Merino shirt with my super breathable Elite jacket (you do get what you pay for) to keep me dry & warm.

When it's cold & dry or just a light drizzle, I just wear a thin layer or two of Merino. Even if it gets wet, it keeps you warm. And only needs to be washed once a week, regardless of the sweat
Old 09-03-14, 11:59 PM
HydroG33r 

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
As far as safety is concerned, use lights and take it easy on the turns.
Great advice. Lights are ESSENTIAL. Loads of lighting posts out there, but I use a bar light, a seat post light, and a L&M Vis 360 Plus helmet light. Even when it's sunny.

As others have indicated, fenders are a worthwhile investment, more to keep the mud off you & the drive train.
Old 09-04-14, 09:12 AM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Yeah, I have a showers pass jacket, it was the best I could find, but around 60 degrees it's ability to "breathe" gets oversaturated I start sweating - if I'm biking hard. If not biking to hard, temp range is higher.

Best I could find for warmer weather was a rain vest - didn't trap as much heat in. Arms got wet, but they dried easier than the rest of the body.
In Portland we don't usually have rain when it's over 60. It's definitely the case that in temps that warm the rain coat is going to be too warm. I find the showers pass coat works great with temps in the 50's and if you add some wool underneath well in the 40's and 30's. I usually don't ride if it's below freezing.
Old 09-04-14, 09:20 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ratell
In Portland we don't usually have rain when it's over 60. It's definitely the case that in temps that warm the rain coat is going to be too warm. I find the showers pass coat works great with temps in the 50's and if you add some wool underneath well in the 40's and 30's. I usually don't ride if it's below freezing.
Yeah, it works pretty well in the winter to, as it's "windproof" but it still breathes. It's what I wear for winter biking in Minnesota. I've been pondering trying out Gore "windstopper" to see if it breathes more, as the Shower's Pass breathes but could use something a *little* better, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 09-04-14, 09:35 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've been fortunate the past few weeks and missed every storm and most of the rain. I think that number one on dealing with rain is timing, watching the radar and picking the window.

Beyond that, wearing synthetics and not caring about getting wet. Except the shoes. I hate getting my sneakers soaked so I'll either bag them or wear different shoes if it's raining when I start out.

Cold rain, or freezing rain, is where you need to do something different. In my opinion. But I've reached the point where I don't go to any extremes there either, with regards to clothing. Multiple layers just like you'd normally wear at 32°F, plus a water-resistant windbreaker. And something to keep the hands warm. No Gore-Tex, Showers Pass or anything like that, just a cheap windbreaker. I'll still get wet, maybe completely soaked, but if I'm blocking the wind it's OK.
Old 09-04-14, 10:27 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The best rain jacket is made right in your area, the Showers Pass Elite. The problem with most rain jackets is they do not ventilate well, so you get just as wet from sweating as you would from the rain. The SP is excellent in that regard, providing multiples avenues for increased ventilation. However, I don't even bother with the SP if temps are higher than 60 F. Any jacket would be too warm in higher temps unless it starts hailing and temps drop rapidly.
Old 09-04-14, 11:17 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
The best rain jacket is made right in your area, the Showers Pass Elite. The problem with most rain jackets is they do not ventilate well, so you get just as wet from sweating as you would from the rain. The SP is excellent in that regard, providing multiples avenues for increased ventilation. However, I don't even bother with the SP if temps are higher than 60 F. Any jacket would be too warm in higher temps unless it starts hailing and temps drop rapidly.
With a rain poncho or cape you don't get wet from the inside if riding easy. It also protects your feet somewhat too.
Old 09-04-14, 03:45 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been blessed and been able to commute in all kinds of weather and on different latitudes! I have tried to keep dry on rain for the most part, but my rain and cold ridding gear have evolved to this.

Temperature higher than 60*, spd sandals and hat with brim to keep the rain out of the glasses. Then I carry dry clothe with me on trunk or small panniers to change as necessary. Keep hair short, so it dries quick, and carry toiletries with me to clean up when I get to where I'm going (work, Dr. Appointment, church, friends house, etc). Purrell sanitizing wipes, or any other kind, go a long way making you feel clean without a shower.

Temperature 60*-40* same as above but use a wind breaker and wool socks with the sandals.

Less than 40* rain pants and jacket with layers under it, according to how cold it is. This is where a good rainproof jacket with adjustable ventilation would shine!

For short rides 1-2 miles, I have used a poncho, ride slow and arrive pretty dry!

Fenders keep dirt out of you and bike, making it possible to re use the riding cloth once you go back on the rain. No fenders, I would carry extra riding cloth.

Double O
Old 09-04-14, 04:10 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I've been commuting year round for about four years now and that includes some very rainy winters!

- Like many others I wear synthetic riding gear for the ride and change to street clothes at work. I hang everything up to dry and wear it home again.
- I will wear a waterproof rain jacket when it's really nasty out. There's no question that I'll still get wet from sweating, but I'll take that over the colder winter rains.
- I have some Goretex shoe covers that work pretty well. Even so, I always bring a change of socks because I *hate* having wet feet. I also keep a couple of pairs of shoes at work so I've always got something dry to throw on.
- I usually wear wool gloves which help keep my hands warm even though they get wet. I've got some neoprene gloves that I'll wear if it's a torrential down pour.
- I use lights full time when riding in heavy rain. Visibility is poorer and it's harder for drivers to see cyclists.
Old 09-04-14, 04:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've adopted to having a cycle rain cape by having mudguards on the bike and placing the lights low on the bike to not have the cape draping over them .

light rain pants since the cape does most of the shielding the legs , and LL Bean Rubber shoes... helmet and helmet cover if you wish .

cape draping over the bars does a lot in keeping my hands dry..

bike cape is conic, poncho a flat rectangle with a hood in it.

poncho will flap. My Cape really does not , because it is using heavy material https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ar1.htm

they mis-use the term 'poncho' too ... Californians

The best rain jacket is made right in your area, the Showers Pass Elite
they too get sewn off shore , Now, imported and distributed through Portland OR no longer sewn here.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-28-14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 05:18 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Poncho/cape warm weather, showers pass Elite and light rain pants for cooler or cold rain . But you will get wet in any case.
Like others I can change and shower at work.
Old 09-04-14, 05:25 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fenders + J&G's Rain Cape
Old 09-04-14, 05:38 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Heh.

If it starts hailing I'm going to have bigger worries than just getting wet.
Old 09-04-14, 05:53 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For your shoes if they get soaked...take the insole out and stuff with newspaper. A trick i learned backpacking in the scouts. I've been licky and only have had the rain on my way home (who am i kidding...i havent hotten to work by bike if it is raining in the am) - living in the soutj i welcome a good rain. I don't have fenders yet but if it rains i am going to get wet anyway. All of my stuff goes into panniers that have been quite waterproof so far. I would check out clothesade for backpackers as well as cyclists sonce staying dry can be essential in cold, wet weather.
Old 09-04-14, 08:45 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in a back office where casual clothing is basically the "uniform," so I don't have to worry too much about appearance. I make it a game with myself to ride to work in regular clothing and just go inside to my desk. To accomplish that, I use a helmet cover, rain jacket, and rain pants. On the feet, I wear Red Wing waterproof hiking boots, high enough to that the pants go over the top. They can be a bit warm, but they are extremely comfortable and they really are waterproof. They are a bit expensive, but so high-quality that I suspect I never will buy another pair because these will never wear out. If the rain is really heavy, I will wear some long rubber gloves from the hardware store, with cloth liners if it is cold. The rain jacket sleeves hang over the tops of the gloves. If the temperature is low, I can ride at a reasonable speed and not sweat more than usual. If the temperature is warm, I ride slowly and tolerate the perspiration which still is not excessive in my case. With this getup I have ridden in pouring rain with no problem (other than some guy passing in a car and calling me insane). It really was a bit of fun to walk into the office building with the biking gear and the pouring rain. People seemed to think it was some big deal, I was totally dry under the outerwear and had just finished a leisurely bike ride to work.
Old 09-05-14, 06:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Deleted. Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by tarwheel; 09-05-14 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-05-14, 07:53 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Lots of good advice here. You never stay completely dry just dry enough. Definitely helps to change at work. Regarding sweating under water proof jacket and pants, the most you can do is slow down a bit and try not to work up such a sweat and ventilate as much as you can. Getting a little damp is no big deal, you'll soon be dry at work and when it's time to head home your rain gear should be dry as well so you can get them wet again.
Old 09-05-14, 08:09 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
You mentioned you need fenders. IMHO that first and foremost is the #1 priority for rain riding. Without them I find I get much wetter from the rain coming up versus the rain coming down. Plus the rain coming down is relatively clean. The water coming off your tires is much less so.

Get fenders as they're going to make the biggest impact. After that worry about rain specific clothing.
Old 09-05-14, 06:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
You're lucky you don't get downpours as we do in the east. I've ridden in your kind of rain, and it can be nice. It gets annoying when I get totally drenched. When it's cold, it can be bad. You don't get much very cold weather, which is why so many manage to commute on bike all through the winter.

You definitely can get used to riding in the rain! Practice.

When it's warm, I wear as little as possible, so it's a short sleeved shirt, shirts, and sandals. My body dries faster than clothing does.

Yes, keep a change of clothes at work. Make it a complete set, including socks and shoes. You may need a spare belt. While you're at it, include a jacket and tie, even if you're not in a jacket-and-tie kind of job, because it's nice to be prepared for the most extreme "needs."

If you take advantage of your spare clothes, be sure to bring in a dry set the next day.

Definitely install fenders on your bike. They won't keep you dry in all circumstances, but they will make a big difference in marginal circumstances. You will appreciate them deeply. Get the longest fenders you can get, preferably with flaps at the back ends. Those abbreviated fenders are nonsense. Longer is better! Even longer is even better!

How long is your commute? If it's not too long, you won't get drenched often, and as I said, you learn to tolerate it. Sometimes, you will enjoy it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-06-14, 10:11 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wore out two Showers Pass Elite 2.0's in a span of seven years of year round commuting. I had zipper issues with both jackets.I'm now using the J&G waterproof, breathable rain jacket. Made in Oregon. Half the price of the SP Elite and just as comparable. Good venting. Works great in a downpour. Good zipper. It has big side pockets instead of the rear pocket & MP3 pocket on the SP. Haven't used it in frigid temps yet. But I'm confident It'll perform as well as the SP in cold weather. For the $$ it can't be beat. IMO. I've used the O2 rain pants (the black ones) for seven years. Great rain pant for the $$. I use the Showers Pass touring shoe covers in heavy rain. They keep my un-clipped feet totally dry in heavy rain. Too bad they don't carry them anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.