Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frames and Framebuilding (1990) Richard Sachs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-24, 08:17 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 01-11-24, 09:13 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
one of my favorite articles from the late-but-esteemed Bicycle Guide!

I wonder how much it helped Richard's sales, or if he already had a years long waiting list at that time??

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-11-24, 09:44 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
This pic cracks me up:

(Ooh, he's got the same Columbian vise as me, cool.)

The pose is a variation on the one he ran as an ad in bike magazines for years. I believe it's an in-joke, which no one will get unless they've seen the inside of one of those lugs. His Samson lugs are minimalist everywhere, but especially right there where his file is resting, they are below the minimum there IMHO, so it's the one place you must never file. A file as coarse as the one he's holding would ruin that lug with one stroke.

Sorry about the poor focus, the pic is from Sachs's website, with red arrows added by me. Can you make out how the part of the head tube bore, between the DT bore and the outer edge (shoreline), is only about a millimeter? Nothing to spare.

The other reason I know he doesn't really file there: the simple fact that all the edges on a Samson lug are perfect, as delivered. You can't improve them with a file anywhere, much less right there.
Old 01-12-24, 06:38 AM
e-RICHIE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Mark

Always happy to make you laugh.

The article was a result of three full days of photography in my studio by Michael Furman. Every single image was staged by him and his assistant, not unlike (I’m assuming) food stylists do when shooting for a recipe book. The magazine only printed seven pages so you can imagine how many hundreds of pictures ended up on the cutting room floor.

I still use that vice daily at work.

Originally Posted by bulgie
This pic cracks me up:

(Ooh, he's got the same Columbian vise as me, cool.)

The pose is a variation on the one he ran as an ad in bike magazines for years. I believe it's an in-joke, which no one will get unless they've seen the inside of one of those lugs. His Samson lugs are minimalist everywhere, but especially right there where his file is resting, they are below the minimum there IMHO, so it's the one place you must never file. A file as coarse as the one he's holding would ruin that lug with one stroke.

Sorry about the poor focus, the pic is from Sachs's website, with red arrows added by me. Can you make out how the part of the head tube bore, between the DT bore and the outer edge (shoreline), is only about a millimeter? Nothing to spare.

The other reason I know he doesn't really file there: the simple fact that all the edges on a Samson lug are perfect, as delivered. You can't improve them with a file anywhere, much less right there.
Old 01-12-24, 07:53 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Boom.
It gets no better than this.
P6206842 by Doc Mertes, on Flickr
IMG_7306 by Doc Mertes, on Flickr
Old 01-12-24, 08:19 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
A couple of fine machines, Doc!
Old 01-12-24, 08:45 AM
steelbikeguy

One of my take-aways from this thread is just how much Bicycle Guide emphasized excellent photography... even if it drove the subject a bit crazy or ate up a lot of time.
I suppose the photographer might have gone a bit overboard at times, emphasizing the composition and drama of a photo at the expense of depicting the actual truth of what was being photographed.
What's that old saying... "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"??

I poked through my scanned articles from Bicycle Guide and there were a few articles on the subject of framebuilding. One was titled "The Art of Steel", in the April 1996 issue. The purpose of the article was to look at the differences between lugged frames, fillet brazed frames, and tig'ed frames. It included photos of Peter Weigle and John Slawta (of Landshark). These photos don't look to be as heavily staged as those of Mr. Sachs... but I'm still curious if Mark B. or others can comment on where the photographer took liberties to make it look more dramatic.

The title page of the article:

Mr. Weigle at work:

Mr. Slawta doing his thing:

and a nice comparison of the internal details of the three techniques:

Bicycle Guide was an excellent bike magazine, and I do appreciate their fine work!

Steve in Peoria
(the full article is on flickr. Just search for "the art of steel")
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-12-24, 08:46 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
This is a great article for anyone who does old school work with our hands. I don’t know much about frame building but I used to visit my friend in Oxnard who built frames in his small bike shop where I bought my first light weight bike. I would sharpen his cutters for him or get stuff made for his jig at our huge tool room where I was an apprentice. I still make cutting tools the way I was trained to do 50 years ago on manual machines that are more like extensions of my arms and hands. I had CNC machines that I produced mass quantities of surgical tools and other cutting tools but it wasn’t very rewarding ….actually more like work! I have since sold off the CNC’s and now doing custom work on my manual machines and it is very rewarding , even after over 50 years of grinding. Hand work , like this article exemplifies, is like art and jewelry creation.
Old 01-12-24, 08:53 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by rccardr
Boom.
Extra points for the yellow flowers in the background! Nicely done.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-12-24, 09:28 AM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 372 Posts
2005 NAHBS - several pinned frames.
Old 01-13-24, 09:05 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
let me tell you, it comes thru in the ride. My RS 25th Anniversary model is so darn straight, you can feel it. The bike tracks like a laser.

/markp

Old 01-13-24, 09:57 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Above and beyond. One day I'll get on of these:

Then I can save my Campy bolt for whatever.

Last edited by Classtime; 01-13-24 at 10:01 AM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 01-13-24, 10:13 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

e-RICHIE e-RICHIE - do you recall any discussions with (or visits ?) a friend / frame builder Jack Marchetti from western PA / Pittsburgh area ?
Likes For t2p:
Old 01-13-24, 10:29 AM
e-RICHIE

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Sadly, it's not a name I recognize.

Originally Posted by t2p

e-RICHIE e-RICHIE - do you recall any discussions with (or visits ?) a friend / frame builder Jack Marchetti from western PA / Pittsburgh area ?
Old 01-13-24, 11:44 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
The comment about lugs, investment cast versus stamped, is an interesting one. I remember well how we all wanted frames with investment cast lugs when they first arrived on the scene. Now that investment cast is dominant, many collectors are looking for the earlier frames with the stamped lugs from the high prestige builders such as Mr. Sachs, DeRosa, and Masi, more for reasons of aesthetics and rarity than for the benefits described by Mr. Sachs.
Brent

Old 01-14-24, 10:10 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
File type?

Great article! Thanks for posting and for all the comments, I love learning about these things.

A question: What type of files are shown in the first page? The round file that I learned as 'rat tail's style looks like it's toothed as I have used.

But the flat files look to have a pebbly surface, like a coarse Emory cloth. I've never used files like that, always with cut-slotted teeth. Mine is admittedly very limited metalworking experience...but I'm curious!

How are those made? Used? Sharpened?

Or is it a digitization artifact of the photo?
Old 01-15-24, 04:23 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Boom.
two very fine and nice bikes
Old 01-20-24, 09:03 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
Any excuse to show off my '82 Strada Immaculata. It now has a C-Record crank, not that there's anything wrong with the Chorus in the photo. Built when RS still had a young man's hair. I would have built it up with proper SR group, but a previous owner had divers' helmets brazed on where the shift levers should be.

Old 01-20-24, 09:56 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
I would have built it up with proper SR group, but a previous owner had divers' helmets brazed on where the shift levers should be.
That's certainly a commitment to bar end shifters.

(Same sbarner as the regular commentator on BSNYC?)
Old 01-21-24, 02:47 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
That's certainly a commitment to bar end shifters.

(Same sbarner as the regular commentator on BSNYC?)
No telling when it was done, or why. The person I bought it from was at least the second owner, and he didn't pass any info about it along. All I know is that Richard said it didn't leave his shop that way. At some point someone clamped shifters just above the stops, but I stuck a Campagnolo decal over the munged paint.
Likes For sbarner: