Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bikes on Bridges

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bikes on Bridges

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 10:48 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ Interesting how each new generation of span is both wider and higher above the water than its predecessor.

So is that span going parallel to the river flow some sort of temporary span for access to the site?
The changes in bridge design and specs become obvious in a picture like this!
The new arched span is structurally simpler than the old spans, at least in terms of the number of structural members and rivets. Probably will be easier to inspect and maintain??

I'm not sure that it is higher above the water, but the photo does suggest it. Pics taken from the side suggest the deck will be about the same height as the old spans (which will be appreciated by cyclists).
Not sure why the bridge is so wide. At a glance, it looks wide enough for 4 or 5 lanes. On the plus side, that should permit routing bi-directional traffic on it, in the event that the north span (the remaining old span) is closed for some reason.

The structures extending downriver are where the arched span section was constructed. It was recently floated by barge into the position shown in the photo above.
I'm not sure why it was constructed adjacent to the bridge instead of integral with the bridge... maybe it was just easier and safer?
Here's a shot from a location downstream when the arched span was almost complete....

and a shot from the same location after it was fitted to the bridge....

After the new span is completed, the old two-lane bridge is supposed to be dropped into the river. I hope to be around to watch that.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-22-23, 11:03 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
After the new span is completed, the old two-lane bridge is supposed to be dropped into the river. I hope to be around to watch record that.
Fixed it for ya.

I'll bet a view from directly downriver would be cool, with the contrasting shapes/curves of the three spans lined up and centered on one another. History expressed as geometry.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 12-22-23, 02:03 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts

Late fall

Same path, a couple of months before, after a heavy rain.

This hole wasn’t there when I started my ride but on the way back home, the path looked a little different. Hopefully no bicyclist lost their bike or head in it.

Adding a photo of other users of this bridge:

Other users of bridge

Last edited by Alan K; 12-28-23 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Other users of bridge
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-22-23, 02:17 PM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 94 Posts
10 years ago in Michigan. Still have the Bianchi.

Likes For cegerer:
Old 12-22-23, 02:54 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 384 Posts
Since we have some nostalgia ^^^^. Here's me 40 years ago with the Triborough Bridge (now named the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge) in the background. Unfortunately, the '82 Guerciotti I'm sitting on died in an accident in '87.

Old 12-27-23, 07:46 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 249 Posts
Metropark MUP

Graffiti & my Gunnar
Old 12-27-23, 08:06 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-28-23, 06:50 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
Crossing the Monocacy River aqueduct on the C&O canal towpath

Likes For cjefferds:
Old 12-29-23, 09:27 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
The Bob Michel bridge in downtown Peoria is the only way for bikes and pedestrians to get across the Illinois bridge.
It has been getting resurfaced this year, and an isolated MUP was added on the north side of the bridge. During the work, bikes and peds have been shunted to whatever part of the bridge wasn't being worked on at the time. It was good of them to keep the bridge open to us, since the cars had to find another bridge to use.
I think the work was supposed to finish up this year, and they are near the end... but not there yet.
Today the south portion of the bridge was open to bikes and peds, so I got to enjoy the new pavement!

a mile or two upriver, a new span is being built for the McCluggage bridge. This is the very wide span shown below. It will replace the old east-bound span, which is shown as the center span in the photo below. The new span will have a bike/ped path, which I expect to use. If nothing else, it will let me avoid the downtown traffic and the erratic pedestrians on the Bob Michel bridge.

Steve in Peoria
I love the Bob Micheal and I think the new mccluggage might be just the ticket for bike rides to Chicago.
Old 12-29-23, 10:21 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I love the Bob Micheal and I think the new mccluggage might be just the ticket for bike rides to Chicago.
I'm waiting to see how the multi-use path on the Bob Michel works out... I did appreciate the old arrangement where bikes were on the shoulder and pedestrians were on the sidewalk. Not every cyclist will have this opinion, of course. Hopefully the new MUP will have less glass than the old shoulder did!

Is there any info on how the bike path on the new McCluggage span will terminate on the east side yet? Will we get dumped onto a busy 4 lane road, or will there be some reasonable way to get to the roads and streets with less traffic? I'm not expecting too much, but hoping that someone has thought this through.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-30-23, 02:44 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

I'm waiting to see how the multi-use path on the Bob Michel works out... I did appreciate the old arrangement where bikes were on the shoulder and pedestrians were on the sidewalk. Not every cyclist will have this opinion, of course. Hopefully the new MUP will have less glass than the old shoulder did!

Is there any info on how the bike path on the new McCluggage span will terminate on the east side yet? Will we get dumped onto a busy 4 lane road, or will there be some reasonable way to get to the roads and streets with less traffic? I'm not expecting too much, but hoping that someone has thought this through.

Steve in Peoria
I don't know anything yet, I will say I finished a tour going down cat trail one year and it was harrowing. I need more frontage roads or shoulders or something.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 12-30-23, 05:00 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

Visiting my parents in FL
Old 01-03-24, 07:49 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
There's a stop midway on the Manhattan Bridge, in the middle of the East River; the trains run down the middle, joggers/walkers on the right and cyclists on the left. This is from Manhattan to Brooklyn.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 01-16-24, 10:36 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 01-17-24, 08:50 AM
cooperryder

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,509 Times in 409 Posts
I rode over the new Northaven Trail Pedestrian Bridge in Dallas, TX
again recently before this cold snap hit and took a few more pictures.

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 01-17-24, 04:59 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 174 Posts
Our newest bike bridge is no technological beauty but a needed link in the new pathway under construction. Check out the roaring ditch water!
Due to open this year, path is mostly rideable already but leave the 20mms at home.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 01-17-24, 09:46 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
I have a riding buddy 70 yrs of age, who has developed a fear of riding over bridges the past 5+ years.
He goes out of his way to bypass bridges even when driving his car.
Aging is a weird process.
The guy is still a better cyclist than I, but I slyly chalk that off to his youth.
Old 01-19-24, 10:20 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by bironi
I have a riding buddy 70 yrs of age, who has developed a fear of riding over bridges the past 5+ years.
He goes out of his way to bypass bridges even when driving his car.
Aging is a weird process.
The guy is still a better cyclist than I, but I slyly chalk that off to his youth.
that's a shame.

There are bridges that give cyclists second thoughts. One that comes to mind is the former bridge across the Mississippi at Savannah, Illinois. It had a metal grate deck, so you could look down and see the water below while sort of slipping around on the metal. It also had a low side rail that wouldn't keep you from flipping over it.
On a popular local club ride, more than a few folks chose to walk their bikes over that bridge...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-19-24, 02:19 PM
daywood 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
that's a shame.

There are bridges that give cyclists second thoughts. One that comes to mind is the former bridge across the Mississippi at Savannah, Illinois. It had a metal grate deck, so you could look down and see the water below while sort of slipping around on the metal. It also had a low side rail that wouldn't keep you from flipping over it.
On a popular local club ride, more than a few folks chose to walk their bikes over that bridge...

Steve in Peoria
The yearly Bridge Pedal event in Portland crosses the Hawthorne Bridge, which also has a steel grate deck. The organizers cover it in sheets of corrugated cardboard that are duck-taped together. This seems like a huge undertaking for a one-day event, but I suppose it avoids slip-sliding that could become massive pileups. On normal traffic days there is a concrete bike/walking lane that has adequate capacity to keep you from having to use the car lanes.

Likes For daywood:
Old 01-19-24, 02:40 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by daywood
The yearly Bridge Pedal event in Portland crosses the Hawthorne Bridge, which also has a steel grate deck. The organizers cover it in sheets of corrugated cardboard that are duck-taped together. This seems like a huge undertaking for a one-day event, but I suppose it avoids slip-sliding that could become massive pileups. On normal traffic days there is a concrete bike/walking lane that has adequate capacity to keep you from having to use the car lanes.

You're not kidding that's work! Respect.
We have open grate decks on a few Delta bridges and diamond plate on some others. There's crossing them, then there's crossing when wet, which is a whole different level of eek.
None of them is a hundred+ feet over the water. That would have me rethinking my life choices. This bridge right here? I do not know nor care if it has a ped-bike lane. I am not riding it, because it even gives me the Willies just driving a car across. My least-favorite bridge.

Just you and the sky
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 01-19-24, 03:00 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Got another one for ya, same bridge but a different bike.

Surf City bridge on a 1984 Schwinn MTB, High Sierra. Heavy beast but great around the beach and looks cool on an old Jeep!

Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 01-28-24, 06:45 AM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
Near Lincoln Woods State Park in R.I.

NorthEast Bikepath Rides

Likes For FrozenBiker:
Old 02-01-24, 07:38 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

size matters?

This little bridge joins a park to an elementary school. It’s pretty short, but the design and patina appeal to me.
And, is a SteamRoller a classic yet? I think Surly is ending production. Maybe a classic and not yet vintage… Feel free to report me if I’m breaking the rules…😬
Likes For mrv:
Old 02-02-24, 08:06 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by mrv

This little bridge joins a park to an elementary school. It’s pretty short, but the design and patina appeal to me.
And, is a SteamRoller a classic yet? I think Surly is ending production. Maybe a classic and not yet vintage… Feel free to report me if I’m breaking the rules…😬
I think you'll be just fine. Cool pic!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-02-24, 09:15 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I think you'll be just fine. Cool pic!
thanks!
about two iPhone updates ago, I noticed a little 0.5x on the camera. iPhone already have a nice "wide angle"-ness to them. The 0.5x bends the edges of the image, which I really like. Been having a lot of fun with it.
Likes For mrv:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.