Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1990) BIANCHI Project-7 (700C) vs BIANCHI Grizzly (26")

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-24, 08:31 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,000 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 02-16-24, 11:44 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
That just makes me wonder what would have happened if Bianchi had had access to a supply of Bruce Gordon's Rock and Road tires while they were building the Project 7... (and if they'd gotten the proper head tube angle!)
Old 02-16-24, 02:43 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 833 Posts
Paleo-29ers.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-17-24, 07:44 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,495 Posts
I couldn't read this last night, long tough day at work and kept nodding off, but I always like the Project 700c Mountain bikes. I never had the chance to really give my Project 3 a true off road workout, I took a headder once riding alone and decided to be less aggresive when alone off road. The few times I did exercise her on the Single Track course we used to use for MTB time trials up in Wompatuck St Park, she was fast and sure footed on the factory 700x41 tires even pumped up hard on the frozen ground.

I think part of the reason they didn't catch on them was they didn't have much to set them apart from the more expensive hybrids so people couldn't really understand why a $1200 Project 7 was any better than the $400 Advantage. or an $800 Rockhopper for that matter.

mhespenheide I'm sure they could have easily gotten fatter tires but then might have bumped up against some MTB import tax at the time. I forget if it was the show for the '90 models or '91 I remember the salesrep talking about tire size and even chainstay clearance being limited due to a tariff to protect domestic MTB bikes. I thouhgt it was kind of funny as most the domestic MTBs and even ATBs they were trying to protect were reaching unobtainium prices even then. I'm not ever sure Trek was building the 800 series in the US then.

Other than the show I never got to see the '90 Project 7 or many of the projects. I don't think any of these MAX tubed Signature bikes were imported.

The Project 5 appeared in '92

'92/93 was the hayday of the Projects with 7,5, and 3 but by '94 it was the 5,3 and they bowed out in '95 with just a 3 and 1. They were however serious pioneers in what became '29ers and Gravel Grinders.

My 'Project 3 is curretly set up for Urban, or more likely Suburban/ Cul de Sac riding with some ancient Avocet FasGrip 700x32s and coold Woody's Fenders.

Brake booster to help keep the long stays from flexing too much.

The frame is Tange Infinity and rides very nice on the roads and performed well the few times I was off road

I actualkly found these NOS in 2003ish and while they don't many miles it might be time to replace them. They performed well on the hardpacked Rail Trail in lower York Country PA.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll: