Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Learning how to repair.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Learning how to repair.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-23, 09:25 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
A Modest Proposal:

Get on Facebook or Craigslist and buy an unloved, higher quality road or MTB from the late '80s/early '90s - very solid bikes. Instead of screwing up your finicky modern bike or trying to perfect something junky, get something of very solid quality that will definitely "tune up" to a very high degree. Spend like $100-200. Try to get it working like new. Look for Deore, XC, 105, RX100, GPX, Cyclone, EX, GPX, etc.
Good suggestion, IMO.

That's a relatively easy introduction to basic bike maintenance, right there. A simple build-up of a bike. Starting with something that's all there, but which really needs a bit of maintenance and possibly a bit of refurbishing. Can worry about alterations later.

Myself, I occasionally take such bikes and have the bike shop do the install of the bottom bracket, crankset, possibly headset. Then I fiddle with the cabling, chain, derailleur adjustments, and the brakes, . A decent shop handles any wheel building, spokes and truing. My own preference is to not have all of the "special" tools for the whole shebang; but a handful of basic quality tools can accomplish this short list. A co-op in my area can fill in "the blanks" where I'm missing something basic and could use some hands-on guidance. Works well. But requires me to get the basic jobs done in order for the bike to be tuned and working properly, though it starts out functional. Good place to begin. And with the write-ups at Shimano (ie, the maintenance/service guides), Park Tool (their tips and how-to videos), and a couple others, it's fairly straightforward to get these basics done.
Old 03-29-23, 05:14 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Paper repair manuals are great. I have many of them dating back decades. However, Park Tools' YouTube channel is even better because you can watch Calvin show you how to do the repair. He is excellent and explains everything and why he does it the way he does. And, they have videos on just about any repair, adjustment, tuning, replacement and assembly on a bike. Couple those videos with the Park repair manual and you should be covered.

Oh, the Park videos are free.......
Old 03-29-23, 07:47 PM
whm1974

Bikes: 26" Diamondback DBW 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 49 y/o, and yes I need to do better at posting. Didn't get my first bike until 30 y/o. Stop riding for a while once I gotten HUD housing and disability. Am making changes to my life I should have done before.
Old 03-29-23, 08:06 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Paper repair manuals are great. I have many of them dating back decades. However, Park Tools' YouTube channel is even better because you can watch Calvin show you how to do the repair. He is excellent and explains everything and why he does it the way he does. And, they have videos on just about any repair, adjustment, tuning, replacement and assembly on a bike. Couple those videos with the Park repair manual and you should be covered.

Oh, the Park videos are free.......
Even as an "advanced user", I find videos alone a pain because there always some specific detail easily missed that you have to rewind and rewind. Read it on a page and you can easily review it.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-29-23, 08:14 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Even as an "advanced user", I find videos alone a pain because there always some specific detail easily missed that you have to rewind and rewind. Read it on a page and you can easily review it.
Something we agree on…