Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What is the hottest weather you ride in?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 01:53 AM
SPECELIZEDRIDER

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being you're car free and don't have a lot of access to a car, hot hot of temperature do you ride in?
Old 04-29-13, 04:41 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
100+ degrees 90%+ RH. I ride in places like Savannah, Charleston and Mobile. I do avoid riding during the peak heat of the day, if I do have to ride I plan shady routes, wear light clothing and ride S-L-O-W.

Part of it is acclimation, I have spent much of my life in the deep south so the heat and humidity doesn't bother me as much as someone from a different climate.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-29-13, 07:04 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I lived near Palm Springs I rode in temperatures up to 120 F. The big rules for me, were, take it easy, drink lots of water, find shade first if you have to fix a flat and pick up the bike at stoplights so the tires don't melt.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-29-13, 08:16 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't usually get much over 90F here. I only really get hot when I stop and lose the breeze.
Old 04-29-13, 09:15 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Not car free but will chime in anyway. In the last few years I believe the hottest temp was 117°F, low humidity. I'll take that over high humidity anyday but it was still HOT!

BTW: My car doesn't have AC so it aint much better in the summer.
Old 04-29-13, 09:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Whatever the highest temperature is where I happen to be. Hottest so far, Iraq at 135°.
Old 04-29-13, 10:31 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I have never been much above 90. I live in a temperate climate, although it is very humid here in the summer. Last summer was really bad. It went up to 100 for only the first or second time around here.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-29-13, 10:53 AM
FatherAlabaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't ride over about 90-95F. Even that is pushing it. Heat bothers me far more than cold. As much as I despise the subway, it's nice to have the option...
Old 04-29-13, 11:05 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
100+ degrees 90%+ RH. I ride in places like Savannah, Charleston and Mobile. I do avoid riding during the peak heat of the day, if I do have to ride I plan shady routes, wear light clothing and ride S-L-O-W.

Part of it is acclimation, I have spent much of my life in the deep south so the heat and humidity doesn't bother me as much as someone from a different climate.

Aaron
I got used to the heat and humidity here after a while (95 and 90+ in the summer). The only issue is going out in it for more than an hour. At that point I have to use supplements, like endurolytes or eletes, and keep drinking and supplementing after I'm done. I also have to remember not to sit down for very long for a few hours after, to avoid cramps. I'll go just a little bit slower, but not by much.

"Shady route"--that's a good one. Scorched earth landscaping seldom leaves that option here, although my old commute was through the historic parts of Rockledge and Cocoa. 100 years ago, people understood that they might want a shade tree near the house, porch, sidewalk or street in Florida.
Old 04-29-13, 11:08 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I grew up in Louisiana where heat and humidity are the only constants. I used to think that warm water was part of the fun of bike riding and then camel backs came along (one of the two greatest inventions for bike riding, the other being lycra). Still there comes a point where the swimming pool sounds better than being on a bike . . .
Old 04-29-13, 11:27 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

What is the hottest place in the universe? Possibly the left turn lane of a wide intersection, where you're standing with your bike, hot sun beating on your head, no breeze, surrounded by internal combustion engines, and waiting for a green arrow that's on a four minute cycle.

One nice thing about a bike is that you have built in ventilation...as long as you keep moving!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-29-13, 11:36 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SPECELIZEDRIDER
Being you're car free and don't have a lot of access to a car, hot hot of temperature do you ride in?
So stinking hot and humid that it is hard to even breath! Why? Because riding through it is better than sitting on a lawn chair sweating through your eyeballs complaining about it. When the weather really sucks, go for a ride!
Old 04-29-13, 12:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
...waiting for a green arrow that's on a four minute cycle.
...as long as you keep moving!
You already have the solution to your problem of overheating while waiting for release by a traffic signal, soon as the traffic allows, keep moving.
Old 04-29-13, 12:15 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
Not car free but will chime in anyway. In the last few years I believe the hottest temp was 117°F, low humidity. I'll take that over high humidity anyday but it was still HOT!

BTW: My car doesn't have AC so it aint much better in the summer.
It's worse. All that metal soaking up all that sunshine. When riding in the summer, I'd pity the folks driving with their windows down. They had to be roasting.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-29-13, 07:33 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the merc passes 95F, I start to question it. But I haven't really skipped a ride due to heat. I just ride a little slower.
Old 04-29-13, 09:10 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Whatever the highest temperature is where I happen to be. Hottest so far, Iraq at 135°.
Wow ! Hottest for me was about 105F last summer. In Des Moines.
Old 04-29-13, 11:20 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not sure what the hottest place I ever rode in was. Likely Cambodia but while I carried a thermometer (attached to my compass) I never really bothered to check. It probably never got much hotter than 110 but with extreme humidity. Northern India was also disgustingly hot but again I think the humidity was worse than the heat.
Old 04-29-13, 11:49 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by zeppinger
Not sure what the hottest place I ever rode in was. Likely Cambodia but while I carried a thermometer (attached to my compass) I never really bothered to check. It probably never got much hotter than 110 but with extreme humidity. Northern India was also disgustingly hot but again I think the humidity was worse than the heat.
How did you get through such extreme heat, especially when you were probably trying to cover the miles pretty quickly?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-30-13, 12:14 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I got caught going out late on a solo 50 mile ride on what turned out to be one of hottest days on record here, I think the report said 106F in the general area but I passed a bank where the digital sign read 118F in the parking lot. Dry heat fortunately. But still, you couldn't stay hydrated no matter how much water you took in, and your eyes dried out. I took a nap under a tree for a couple of hours, slow poked home. What I thought was going to be a 3 hour ride lasted about 6 hours.
Old 04-30-13, 05:05 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I'm car light and I have commuted in 105F on the way home.
Old 05-16-13, 05:17 PM
Baytree

Bikes: Unknown model Giant MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
However hot it gets. Usually at least a few days per summer at 110+ I'd rather bike in hot weather than walk... the wind is refreshing and you get there much faster.
Old 05-16-13, 06:27 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The hottest I think I've every ridden in is 98º. It was dry so it wasn't a problem. I wouldn't want to do it daily.
Old 05-16-13, 10:14 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SPECELIZEDRIDER
It doesn't get too hot here in Seattle, so it's not much of an issue when I'm at home, but if I ride elsewhere, I'll ride no matter how hot it is. I just ride slowly and drink tons of water. However, at temps above 90 F, the helmet comes off; when it's that warm, the threat of heat stroke is greater than the threat of a head injury.
Old 05-20-13, 09:58 AM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
92°F, but its only spring and I just started riding again in March. We'll see how it goes when it starts hitting 105°F. But it's a dry heat

I'd take 105° in Albuquerque over Phoenix/Tucson any day. Here the breeze actually cools you off. There it only feels like someone opened the oven. I guess a few thousand feet of air density decrease makes a big difference...
Old 05-20-13, 12:46 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
It rarely gets above 100F here, and it's pretty arid. I've seen 1% humidity reported. It probably doesn't get above 20-30% humidity most of the time here. I ride all summer, commuting and road riding. It's much easier to get on a bike in the heat then to get into a car that's been baking in the sun all day.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.