Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Cyclist down in Irvine.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 12:39 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Assuming the witness comments are legitimate in the user comments, it paints a very unfortunate picture with poor decisions made on the part of the deceased. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the deceased of course, and if the story painted is true I really hope that the driver isn't traumatized by this as well.
Old 02-16-12, 02:48 AM
lowlife1975

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
OK, I wasn't trying to start a helmet-no helmet debate or argument (really) but it seems odd that the status of his helmet was the only thing the story really covered. Lots of conflicting information floating around, it seems.
anytime there's a report of a bicycle accident, in any paper in the US, you will find a blurb about whether the rider was wearing a helmet or no helmet. i agree with you, its not that important of a detail to me. we all know that its a personal choice. i'm more concerned about the actual details of who might have been at fault. its always a tragedy when someone passes, but somehow i feel just a tiny bit safer on the roads when i know it was the rider's fault.
Old 02-16-12, 09:59 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lowlife1975
anytime there's a report of a bicycle accident, in any paper in the US, you will find a blurb about whether the rider was wearing a helmet or no helmet. i agree with you, its not that important of a detail to me. we all know that its a personal choice. i'm more concerned about the actual details of who might have been at fault. its always a tragedy when someone passes, but somehow i feel just a tiny bit safer on the roads when i know it was the rider's fault.
This is a very bold and honest statement to make and one I agree with 100%. When I was a private pilot I would read through every NTSB accident analysis and if I could somehow trace the accident back to poor pilot decisions it was somewhat more comforting. There's a bit of that "Whew! I would NEVER do that!" but in all honesty sometimes you just fail and you DO become the one.
Old 02-16-12, 11:00 AM
mjsocal

Bikes: older model Raleigh & a beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
When I was a private pilot I would read through every NTSB accident analysis and if I could somehow trace the accident back to poor pilot decisions it was somewhat more comforting. There's a bit of that "Whew! I would NEVER do that!" but in all honesty sometimes you just fail and you DO become the one.
This is called detective work and this is why there is an investigation after serious accidents. You discover, uncover, analyze etc. Fault isn't always simple, or based on Internet comments, thank God.

Things aren't always as they seem.

I find your comments telling and amusing.
Old 02-16-12, 11:13 AM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
This is a very bold and honest statement to make and one I agree with 100%. When I was a private pilot I would read through every NTSB accident analysis and if I could somehow trace the accident back to poor pilot decisions it was somewhat more comforting. There's a bit of that "Whew! I would NEVER do that!" but in all honesty sometimes you just fail and you DO become the one.
When hearing about an accident like this, I always ask myself "is that something that could happen to me?" I try to assess the situation from what I hear and think of any commonalities between myself and the unfortunate rider. I think this is why I try to find out "was he a roadie" or a "casual" rider. "Did he have experience or not", "was he certified or not"?

A big part of this is to reassure my loved ones (who no doubt worry), that I won't make the same mistakes or am not susceptible to certain dangers due to the conscious choices I make while riding, etc. The idea is not to cast blame on this rider for being inexperienced, nor is it the idea to look down upon certain classes of riders (although on the surface, that's what it appears to be). But truthfully, what it comes down to is a self-centered assessment on our own ability to stay alive while riding...
Old 02-16-12, 11:16 AM
Accordion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjsocal
This is called detective work and this is why there is an investigation after serious accidents. You discover, uncover, analyze etc. Fault isn't always simple, or based on Internet comments, thank God.

Things aren't always as they seem.

I find your comments telling and amusing.
I don't understand your comments. If I do then you are preaching to the choir. If you know anything about NTSB analysis it is that it takes months to get a full and official final report.

I had a pilot friend die in a crash in Arizona killing his wife and 2 year-old daughter. Everybody assumed it was density altitude and that he didn't perform a proper weight and balance and take into consideration the heat and the length of runway. I knew damn well this guy had a plane in Big Bear and he personally told me as I was learning to fly that you "always need to be careful about density altitude". His accident had nothing to do with it and the full NTSB report proved that, albeit 6 months later.
Old 02-16-12, 11:48 AM
mjsocal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read some of your comments when it comes to accidents and I find them quite telling, as well as biased, uninformed, arrogant, and at times, false. I'll leave it at that and be on my way. I may be a newbie here but that doesn't mean I'm off the mark completely.
Old 02-16-12, 12:15 PM
Accordion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last edited by Accordion; 02-16-12 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Feeding the troll....
Old 02-16-12, 12:19 PM
Schwerelos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a new comment on the article that describes a witness's account of the accident. It is consistent with what could have happened, though I never can figure out southeast/northwest stuff. IF this account is correct it appears to be a case of late running a yellow and being hidden from view by stopped cars so that a car on the far side of the street didn't have a chance to see and yield to him.

This is a mistake I've made and seen many other cyclists make to varying degrees. It just takes a certain set of circumstances to make you pay for that mistake.
Old 02-16-12, 12:42 PM
mjsocal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice try trying to cover up your true nature by deleting your words and calling me a troll. I'm not a troll. I'm entitled to my analysis.
Old 02-16-12, 12:55 PM
Jaguar27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever the circumstances were, my thoughts are with His Family and friends.
Old 02-16-12, 01:13 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just think presently of this guy and his loved ones. Mistakes happen, and sometimes, they can be fatal. I hope and pray that any mistake I make does not cost me dearly. It sometimes has nothing to do with how careful and thorough you are.

My thoughts are with the late cyclist's family and friends.
Old 02-16-12, 01:26 PM
mjsocal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Just think presently of this guy and his loved ones. Mistakes happen, and sometimes, they can be fatal. I hope and pray that any mistake I make does not cost me dearly. It sometimes has nothing to do with how careful and thorough you are.

My thoughts are with the late cyclist's family and friends.
Thanks Jed. That's a very nice post.

And to the family if you see this...I am very sorry for your loss and any pain you feel. May you find some sort of peace as the days and months go by.
Old 02-16-12, 03:00 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's not drag this thread off course with snarky comments, please.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 02-16-12, 04:10 PM
mjsocal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
Let's not drag this thread off course with snarky comments, please.
If you're referring to me, please don't say that. I was very serious and it was based on prior offensive misleading (at best) posts about accidents. And did you see the deleted post? That was far worse. I'm more than willing to move on. I showed that.

Last edited by mjsocal; 02-16-12 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added info and deleted other info