Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 11:29 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11409 Post(s)
Liked 4,767 Times in 2,772 Posts
Saturday, about 110 miles in. Kind of a weener.

Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-15-24, 11:31 AM
LAJ
So it is

I forgot about this one... There's no accounting for some people, even if they do ride a bike.

Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-15-24, 11:54 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,648 Times in 1,245 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I rode the techy bits in the middle quite nicely and even cleaned a tough technical climb that I have a ~50% success rate on, sweet. Last time I put my foot down like 4 times, lol. .
I had the exact opposite experience on my MTB yesterday. Was slow and rode the bike terribly, even on fairly benign trails. Doesn't help that I've only had 5 rides on it in the last 6 months.

Really wondering how big of a difference new tires would make. Mountain biking is definitely a harder workout than road and I also felt generally out of shape, but the bike just doesn't move uphill. Still riding the stock DHF/Aggressor combo it came with but MTB tires are so dang expensive I'm a little hesitant to just throw that money at it without knowing for sure how it will feel. Road tires are so much easier to pick out
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-15-24, 11:57 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28644 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
the reach of Owl Fandom is vast and unending.
It was on the clearance rack.
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Hang in there.
Thanks. Hopefully I'm at or near the peak I'll need. I really don't want to go beyond 30 mg.

At least I've never gained much weight due to this addiction, so I have that going for me.
Old 04-15-24, 12:02 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked 3,568 Times in 1,793 Posts
I read an article on cramping in the last year or two. they could make elite cyclists cramp by working them to exhaustion with little fluids and some heat. Even us mortal cyclists know that. Then t hey screwed with the variables and couldn't get consistent results. The gist of their final conclusions was who knows. Cramps are one of those mysteries. They could find no magical to predict or stop cramps reliably.
Heat -- personal experience says it's a major factor in cramping.

Last time I did Climb to Kaiser, it was on the hottest day of the year. 92F at the pre-dawn start, and 114F at the finish. I passed several riders who were cramping up. I started cramping on the final climb to Kaiser Pass, and I never cramp up.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
The only time I ever cramped was after an imperial century in hot weather. Never during a ride; only after and only sometimes. Almost always on the back of the thigh. What is that muscle called?
Biceps femoris. Mostly used to flex the knee joint.
​​​​​​​

Old 04-15-24, 12:08 PM
LAJ
So it is

DU Pioneers did it again.

Old 04-15-24, 12:21 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28644 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Saturday, about 110 miles in. Kind of a weener.
Getting passed by a tractor trailer on a two-lane road is exhilarating.
Old 04-15-24, 12:27 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8850 Post(s)
Liked 2,999 Times in 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol

Thanks. Hopefully I'm at or near the peak I'll need. I really don't want to go beyond 30 mg.

At least I've never gained much weight due to this addiction, so I have that going for me.
there was one, it was in Omaha and it was a size small. No blemish to the legacy.
Old 04-15-24, 12:30 PM
LAJ
So it is

Getting passed by a tractor trailer on a two-lane road is exhilarating.
He was rather deliberate in his pass and turn, which was rather odd. I felt like Dennis Weaver in Dual. Sort of.
Old 04-15-24, 12:35 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts

My dad never gained much weight but my mother did. My mother was on it to combat damage from other drugs that she needed for COPD.

Again, good luck.

Old 04-15-24, 12:40 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by LAJ
He was rather deliberate in his pass and turn, which was rather odd. I felt like Dennis Weaver in Dual. Sort of.
The worst that we've encountered was from Silverton to Purgatory. We were on a tandem tour and a couple got pinned against a guardrail by a passing quarry hauler. Another couple got pushed in to a rock face that paralleled the highway. Scary crap.

In the truckers defense, the lanes had been narrowed for construction but you still can't hit people.

Old 04-15-24, 12:42 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3208 Post(s)
Liked 1,850 Times in 1,166 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Always struck me as a desperately bad idea. We should mind our own ******g business.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 04-15-24, 12:44 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Meanwhile, in bum**** Illinois, it hit 85° which is totally unseasonable.
This is the coolest April we have had in our 16 year stint here.
Old 04-15-24, 12:53 PM
LAJ
So it is

The worst that we've encountered was from Silverton to Purgatory. We were on a tandem tour and a couple got pinned against a guardrail by a passing quarry hauler. Another couple got pushed in to a rock face that paralleled the highway. Scary crap.

In the truckers defense, the lanes had been narrowed for construction but you still can't hit people.
Yes indeed. I wish more people were in that camp.
Old 04-15-24, 12:54 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

My wife wanted to do a long ride today due to mid 70s weather and light 6 mph winds. She picked a nice flat route directly in to the wind and it became apparent in the parking lot that the weather forecast was fubar. the wind was hitting 10 and gusty. OK, 10 is easy. Let's go.

17 miles later, my wife throws in the towel. The gusts were blowing her everywhere and the headwind definitely sucked. No crops on the Prairie yet to break the wind and her skinny butt was toast. We made a detour to a town to grab some lunch and then take the tailwind home. Tailwind? This was one of those gusty days that felt like a three-way headwind. Other than the stellar companionship and the 70s weather, it wasn't exactly what we had planned on.

Did I mention the nice lunch and stellar companionship?

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-15-24, 01:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked 3,154 Times in 1,661 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I had the exact opposite experience on my MTB yesterday. Was slow and rode the bike terribly, even on fairly benign trails. Doesn't help that I've only had 5 rides on it in the last 6 months.

Really wondering how big of a difference new tires would make. Mountain biking is definitely a harder workout than road and I also felt generally out of shape, but the bike just doesn't move uphill. Still riding the stock DHF/Aggressor combo it came with but MTB tires are so dang expensive I'm a little hesitant to just throw that money at it without knowing for sure how it will feel. Road tires are so much easier to pick out
As the speed goes up, the rolling resistance matters more (same w aero). So on tough climbs - not a whole lot of difference. But on flat trail and flat roads, the tires make a huge difference!

And I hear ya on pricing; MTB tires are super expensive. I've slowly rifled through most of Maxxis' non-Enduro/DH options over the years, and discovered the low-tread tires that I like the most. One of the things that I'm enjoying about the full suspension is that my bike is more planted and so I'm finding I have more grip up front, and choosing lower rolling resistance tires than I did with my hardtail, that were too squirrelly before. So that does make the bike faster on flat under steady pedalling.

For low-tread Maxxis offerings, I like Rekon Race and Ikon the most. I used to do a mid-tread Ardent or regular Rekon up front on my HT, but I'm leaving those days behind and going XC up front and in the rear. Haven't tried the Aspen, but have heard good things about them.
Old 04-15-24, 01:08 PM
seedsbelize2

Food and bicycling. For as long as I can remember, when driving from one place to another(rural) I’ve always enjoyed pulling into a roadside diner for a slice of pie and a cup of coffee. On my tour across Ohio in 2019, this activity was at the top of my list of things to do. Apparently those diners no longer exist. I deliberately sought out an apple dumpling a la mode, in a former tourist town, that became a ghost town in my absence. The basket factory moved out. It was a great treat, but the price prohibited seconds.
Sad!
Old 04-15-24, 01:52 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,648 Times in 1,245 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
As the speed goes up, the rolling resistance matters more (same w aero). So on tough climbs - not a whole lot of difference. But on flat trail and flat roads, the tires make a huge difference!

And I hear ya on pricing; MTB tires are super expensive. I've slowly rifled through most of Maxxis' non-Enduro/DH options over the years, and discovered the low-tread tires that I like the most. One of the things that I'm enjoying about the full suspension is that my bike is more planted and so I'm finding I have more grip up front, and choosing lower rolling resistance tires than I did with my hardtail, that were too squirrelly before. So that does make the bike faster on flat under steady pedalling.

For low-tread Maxxis offerings, I like Rekon Race and Ikon the most. I used to do a mid-tread Ardent or regular Rekon up front on my HT, but I'm leaving those days behind and going XC up front and in the rear. Haven't tried the Aspen, but have heard good things about them.
Forekaster/Rekon F/R seems to be a popular combo for the terrain around here. I just think that the DHF/Aggressor is just way too much tire for the kind of riding I do. And from what I hear the DHF is one of the slowest rolling tires out there. I don't want to go really shallow tread or thin casings since there's a lot of roots and rocks where I ride, but it would be nice to shave a few hundred grams off the wheels if possible. I do know that I absolutely despise riding the bike on anything other than singletrack and the tires that are on it I'm sure contribute a lot to that.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-15-24, 01:54 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13721 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I forgot about this one... There's no accounting for some people, even if they do ride a bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA3XJtdq55s
Old 04-15-24, 02:13 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked 3,154 Times in 1,661 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Forekaster/Rekon F/R seems to be a popular combo for the terrain around here. I just think that the DHF/Aggressor is just way too much tire for the kind of riding I do. And from what I hear the DHF is one of the slowest rolling tires out there. I don't want to go really shallow tread or thin casings since there's a lot of roots and rocks where I ride, but it would be nice to shave a few hundred grams off the wheels if possible. I do know that I absolutely despise riding the bike on anything other than singletrack and the tires that are on it I'm sure contribute a lot to that.
Ya Forekasters and Rekons are good middle of the road tires. My bike came with Forekasters F/R but I swapped em out for Rekon Race F and Ikon R. The tires still have the EXO sidewalls so they should be able to handle rocks and roots just as good as any other EXO tire; it's just less tread. I have been slamming low-tread EXO tires on rocky SoCal trails for years with no problems, but I'm also 145 lbs and like everything else, YMMV.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-15-24, 02:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 5,672 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Food and bicycling. For as long as I can remember, when driving from one place to another(rural) I’ve always enjoyed pulling into a roadside diner for a slice of pie and a cup of coffee. On my tour across Ohio in 2019, this activity was at the top of my list of things to do. Apparently those diners no longer exist. I deliberately sought out an apple dumpling a la mode, in a former tourist town, that became a ghost town in my absence. The basket factory moved out. It was a great treat, but the price prohibited seconds.
Sad!
At the three quarter mark in yesterday’s ride I treated myself:

Reward

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-15-24, 03:10 PM
LAJ
So it is

If the wind stays as is, my ride home should be:

Old 04-15-24, 03:15 PM
LAJ
So it is

I have yet to master eating that much at one sitting while riding. I would shake my head in wonderment when riders would sit down at the 200 mile mark and polish off a Whopper, fries and a drink. Brevet people are different.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-15-24, 03:19 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
You said that like it’s a bad thing.
Old 04-15-24, 03:22 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12794 Post(s)
Liked 7,701 Times in 4,089 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I have yet to master eating that much at one sitting while riding. I would shake my head in wonderment when riders would sit down at the 200 mile mark and polish off a Whopper, fries and a drink. Brevet people are different.
My record mid-ride meal happened on a solo century from Vancouver, USA to Olympia, WA. I'd hit a convenience market at mile 30 had a roast beef sandwich, chocolate milk and a couple fig newtons, then at mile 34 I saw a burger joint and thought to myself "You know I could still eat at least half a horse", so stopped in and ordered a burger, fries and milkshake. I just snacked on the rest of the sleeve of fig newtons 'til mile 66 when I got a salad. Then I felt kinda sluggish and weary 'til mile 85 when I got my second wind, was almost tempted to keep riding all the way to Seattle
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.