Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cameras

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 10:02 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cameras

Always a hot topic on touring forums.

Seems that the latest and greatest last about a month before another latest and greatest appears. I ask, why buy new?

Did a bit of snooping in a small local pawn shop the other day. There were 5 point and shoots to chose from. I walked out with a shirt pocket size, touchscreen Sony Cybershot with a Carl Ziess lens and too many shooting options to mention. For $50. If I'd been smarter in the ways of pawn shops, probably could have got it for $40 or less.

So, next time you're in the market, check out the pawn shops. A treasure hunt. Might find a Nikon DSLR for 80% off.
Old 01-22-12, 10:55 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And when your first repair comes up two months later and it's $400 you're screwed. That's the way it always worked out for me at least. I only buy new now. Sure there are great deals out there and people have taken five pictures and then put the camera in a drawer for five years but that's not how it happens for me. I always get the guy that had four problems with the camera and dumped it at a pawn shop.

I'm the same way about bikes. I've got a 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5 sitting in my garage with ONE dent from my knee in the seat tube and I can't bring myself to sell it. I could probably dump it at a pawn shop for $300 but I feel sorry for the next guy to get it.
Old 01-22-12, 11:04 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I've gotten some very nice deals at pawn shops on point & shoot cameras. They often undervalue them. DSLR's on the other hand, they tend to overvalue big time. I frequently see older DSLR models that I wouldn't pay over $200 for being offered for around $500. I could buy the brand new current model for that price.