Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

ISO/WTB: complete vintage Campy BB, BSA, 117-119mm-ish

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 09:34 AM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts

Hi all:

Searching for a friend.

Bike currently running a 115mm vintage Campy spindle - but just slightly too close on DS, and inner chainring interferes with chainstay under load.

Really don't need to go out much - reckon 117-119mm, maybe 120mm at most would do it?

Seeking BSA complete vintage Campagnolo BB to meet above spec.

PM me - or email is even better - if you might have something to solve this need!

Cheers,

@mikemowbz
Old 07-11-19, 10:35 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 282 Posts
You may be able to just add a spacer to your existing BB. From St. Sheldon:

"Bottom Bracket Spacer
If you need to increase the chainline (move the chainring to the right) you can usually add a spacer washer between the right-side bottom bracket mounting ring (or cup) and the bottom bracket shell of the frame. The usual spacer for this is a Sturmey-Archer sprocket spacer. Metal spacers without internal lugs used with Shimano cassettes also will work. These fit all threaded bottom brackets except Italian size. Sorry, I don't know of any source for a spacer that will fit an Italian (36 mm) bottom bracket. Adding a spacer on the right side will move the left bottom bracket cup or mounting ring inward -- a lockring might not then engage enough threads, so check before you commit to this."

If you need Campy, a pre-CPSC Record triple English BB would have a 117mm spindle, though that is a difficult to find and pricey unit. I may have a ~118mm Velo Orange English BB in my stash. I can check tonight.
Old 07-11-19, 02:49 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,421 Times in 1,946 Posts
What crank from what production year are you intending to use with this bottom bracket?

https://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/campy-BB-specs.pdf
Old 07-12-19, 09:48 AM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What crank from what production year are you intending to use with this bottom bracket?

https://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/campy-BB-specs.pdf
Thanks for the link, John. I'll give that a thorough read this evening.

The crank is a Gran Sport (Nuovo Gran Sport?) from the 1980s - offhand, I believe the 'proper' BB length is a 120mm according to original spec - info in that article appears to confirm.

I don't know the exact year of production - didn't note the date code - but could do. Pretty confident it's 1980s production GS, both from appearance and provenance (owner of the bike/crank had it custom built ca. 1983 give or take a year, with this crank on - but BB has been changed at some point, now has Specialized cups and a 115mm Campy spindle).

Originally Posted by jeirvine
You may be able to just add a spacer to your existing BB. From St. Sheldon:

"Bottom Bracket Spacer
If you need to increase the chainline (move the chainring to the right) you can usually add a spacer washer between the right-side bottom bracket mounting ring (or cup) and the bottom bracket shell of the frame. The usual spacer for this is a Sturmey-Archer sprocket spacer. Metal spacers without internal lugs used with Shimano cassettes also will work. These fit all threaded bottom brackets except Italian size. Sorry, I don't know of any source for a spacer that will fit an Italian (36 mm) bottom bracket. Adding a spacer on the right side will move the left bottom bracket cup or mounting ring inward -- a lockring might not then engage enough threads, so check before you commit to this."

If you need Campy, a pre-CPSC Record triple English BB would have a 117mm spindle, though that is a difficult to find and pricey unit. I may have a ~118mm Velo Orange English BB in my stash. I can check tonight.
Thank you for that - I have never played mix-and-match or had to do troubleshooting on older Campy BBs - always had 'matching' units on my own bikes.

Spacer may be a solution here - BB is BSA, and I should have those Shimano spacers handy, and likely able to get the Sturmey easily enough.

VO BB would be JIS taper, correct? Friend is quite adamant that he wants a 'proper' vintage Campy taper...

Appreciate the info and suggestions.
Old 07-12-19, 12:22 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemowbz
Thanks for the link, John. I'll give that a thorough read this evening.

The crank is a Gran Sport (Nuovo Gran Sport?) from the 1980s - offhand, I believe the 'proper' BB length is a 120mm according to original spec - info in that article appears to confirm.
I would think your GS double crank should work with any post-CPSC ("New Style") Road Double bb. The 115 spindle is post-CPSC Italian, although you don't say whether it is Gran Sport or Record (both for thin cups) or Nuovo Record (rifled cups). I'm guessing it's NR, as I think this spindle would fit a 68mm bottom bracket shell when used with Specialized cups (a bit thinner than the rifled NR cups). The fact that you have insufficient chainring-to-stay clearance when using an Italian post-CPSC spindle may indicate that the crank tapers are quite worn.

There's no Road Double bb spindle with a length of more than 115.5 mm. You would have to go to a triple spindle, which are getting a bit expensive and hard to find. A spacer behind the fixed cup would be the best solution if about 2 mm is sufficient, otherwise you start to run out of adjustable cup thread available for the lock ring. Going to a rifled Campy adjustable cup would give you another mm or so of thread compared to your Specialized cup.

In a pinch, I've used brass shim on the tapers to get another few mm of chainring clearance, and it actually works quite well if you're careful.

I have spare Campy double bb sets in most configurations (no triple spindles though - I need them all) and may have something that would work. I'm in Vancouver, so you're welcome to drop by.
Old 07-12-19, 11:09 PM
mikemowbz

Originally Posted by Duke7777
I would think your GS double crank should work with any post-CPSC ("New Style") Road Double bb. The 115 spindle is post-CPSC Italian, although you don't say whether it is Gran Sport or Record (both for thin cups) or Nuovo Record (rifled cups). I'm guessing it's NR, as I think this spindle would fit a 68mm bottom bracket shell when used with Specialized cups (a bit thinner than the rifled NR cups). The fact that you have insufficient chainring-to-stay clearance when using an Italian post-CPSC spindle may indicate that the crank tapers are quite worn.

There's no Road Double bb spindle with a length of more than 115.5 mm. You would have to go to a triple spindle, which are getting a bit expensive and hard to find. A spacer behind the fixed cup would be the best solution if about 2 mm is sufficient, otherwise you start to run out of adjustable cup thread available for the lock ring. Going to a rifled Campy adjustable cup would give you another mm or so of thread compared to your Specialized cup.

In a pinch, I've used brass shim on the tapers to get another few mm of chainring clearance, and it actually works quite well if you're careful.

I have spare Campy double bb sets in most configurations (no triple spindles though - I need them all) and may have something that would work. I'm in Vancouver, so you're welcome to drop by.
Thank you for that detailed response. It is indeed quite possible that the tapers are worn.

I have not actually seen the spindle in question - relying on info from the mechanic who disassembled recently, whom I know well but who would not likely be able to tell me if GS, NR, etc.

I think my friend with the cranks/bike in question would be keen to replace with a complete Campy bb unit - and I think an arrangement with a standard double BB and spacer that gained 2mm clearance from the stay relative to current would do the trick.

I would be happy to drop by and see what you've got (and to talk the problem out with someone obviously much more well-versed than I in these things). Sending a PM now.