Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jones Bikes Shop Visit and Test Ride!!!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 08:53 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

On a business trip with 2 of my colleagues, we were passing through Ashland, Oregon. We set up a meet and test ride with Jeff Jones.

Really awesome experience to ride with a guy who has his own company and is so passionate about his build ideas! Oh, and by the way, the Jones SWB I test rode plus one of his customs were pretty damn amazing bikes! You can literally ride over train tracks at 30 MPH and not feel it. Hands-down the safest, most capable bike I've had the pleasure to test ride. Time to start saving for one! That's me in the blue hat in the 1st photo. You can guess which one is Jeff Jones in the 2nd

Likes For davei1980:
Old 09-30-19, 09:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18468 Post(s)
Liked 15,735 Times in 7,397 Posts
Did you have dinner at Omar's? Good food. Cycle Oregon spent two nights there in 2012.
Old 09-30-19, 09:44 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did you have dinner at Omar's? Good food. Cycle Oregon spent two nights there in 2012.
We did not. We were under a time crunch to catch our flight home from Medford. Next time though!
Old 10-29-19, 01:35 PM
Newspaper_Nick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
I have been drooling over the videos/photos of this guy's bikes for some time now. If only i was living in the USA, I'd definately get one. His sales approach is very unique and his ideas are probably all sensible as he has been touring for many many years and what he claims is that he designs bikes that he wants to ride himself. Longer wheelbase for more comfort and easier climbs, loop handlebar design, bigger tires, his unique fork design, i am really loving it all. I am pretty sure it is not easy to compete with global brands which can get everything cheaper so I wish all the good luck to him.
Old 10-29-19, 01:58 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I visited the Ashland shop about three years ago, test rode a couple of bikes and chatted with Mr. Jones. He is a very enthusiastic and charismatic individual and I love his bikes. I ended up getting a Jones Plus LWB and had Cycle Monkey convert it to Rohloff. Fantastic bike.
Well worth the visit to test ride a bike and visit with Jeff.

Last edited by skookum; 10-29-19 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-29-19, 02:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18468 Post(s)
Liked 15,735 Times in 7,397 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
What did you think of the town? Seemed to make Portland, OR, look. Went to a grocery store that made Whole Foods look like a Piggly Wiggly or some other mainstream chain.

A couple of months after I was there I got an email from a woman I had ridden across the country with 13 years before. She told me she and her family were living there. I was so bummed that I didn't know that before my visit. It was also a bit eerie since during my two days there I met two people from my past: One woman I went to law school with and another who was one of my good friends in junior high. They were both originally from the east but were volunteering with Cycle Oregon. It truly is such a small world.
Old 10-29-19, 02:46 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Never knew about that place when I lived there.

I lived in Medford for almost 2 years. Love that part of the country.
Old 10-30-19, 06:41 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I just ordered some grips for my Jones H bars from the company...always a pleasure to do business with them
Old 11-03-19, 08:20 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What did you think of the town? Seemed to make Portland, OR, look. Went to a grocery store that made Whole Foods look like a Piggly Wiggly or some other mainstream chain.

A couple of months after I was there I got an email from a woman I had ridden across the country with 13 years before. She told me she and her family were living there. I was so bummed that I didn't know that before my visit. It was also a bit eerie since during my two days there I met two people from my past: One woman I went to law school with and another who was one of my good friends in junior high. They were both originally from the east but were volunteering with Cycle Oregon. It truly is such a small world.
beautiful place but didn’t spend much time in the town. I was working in a place called Lakeview in E Oregon and flying through Medford
Old 11-03-19, 08:21 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by skookum
I visited the Ashland shop about three years ago, test rode a couple of bikes and chatted with Mr. Jones. He is a very enthusiastic and charismatic individual and I love his bikes. I ended up getting a Jones Plus LWB and had Cycle Monkey convert it to Rohloff. Fantastic bike.
did cm make a vid about your bike? If so I have seen it!!!!!!!! My dream bike
Old 11-03-19, 08:38 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
If anyone is interested in a subjective comparison of the Jones SWB vs. the LWB, The BikeSnobNYC blog has a number of lengthy posts about those two bikes.

In short, he's a fan. Bike Snob found the Jones to be a very versatile machine suitable for different types of riding.

He kept the one he preferred and gave the other to an 'essay contest' winner.

https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/search?q=lwb

https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/search?q=swb