Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Inner tubes are quite bulky

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 06:09 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Ever consider something like a fanny-pack ? They're generally low-weight, low bulk, and ride at your center-of-gravity. Or, instead of wearing one, you could lash the pouch to your handlebars. Even a smaller one should securely hold two tubes.
I've seen them at thrift stores (Goodwill,etc.) for next to nothing, it's worth a shot.
Old 08-20-18, 11:26 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I would seriously rethink your bottle toolbag strategy for gravel since it takes up one of the cages
Old 08-20-18, 09:10 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I would seriously rethink your bottle toolbag strategy for gravel since it takes up one of the cages
agreed, unless you only plan on ultra short rides
Old 08-20-18, 11:53 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4427 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 3,034 Posts
Get a Revelate frame bag I put two long folded tubes in there easily. A small/medium saddle bag will hold a multi tool / tires levers ( Pedros ) easily. Bottle cages that slide the bottles in on the sides will go under the frame bag. A Relevate Gas Tank on top will provide more storage for cell phone, gps or whatever. Now I’m in the minority here but I live in a hot dry climate and the Osprey Raptor 10 is an awesome hydration pack. Ice packed water will last hours in 100+ heat and I know . Riding with a backpack is essential where I ride aka there is no refill stations. If so then bottles may do well. The Osprey hydration pack has adequate storage and is very comfortable. That’s all I have to say.
Old 08-21-18, 12:01 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Just carry a 700x25-28, I use them for up to 40c regularly. Or a latex tube that is smaller and lighter.
I think the OP needs to look at where he rides. If his spare fails, is it just a 2 mile hike out and a call to the SO or spending the night at high altitude with inadequate clothing on in the presence of dangerous animals? Am undersized tube can be very hard to patch if a second flat is encountered. And latex tubes that haven't been looked at for how long? Do you trust your life to them?

Ben
Old 08-21-18, 07:30 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I think the OP needs to look at where he rides. If his spare fails, is it just a 2 mile hike out and a call to the SO or spending the night at high altitude with inadequate clothing on in the presence of dangerous animals?

Old 08-21-18, 08:33 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 491 Posts
This thread presents me with a real dilemma.

That Vittoria storage bottle is the best looking "bike bag" I've seen. I can't even think of a close second place.

The vast majority of my road rides are long enough to require 2+ water bottles or are with my 1year old on the trailer where storage isn't an issue.

I use a 70oz Camelback on gravel that has room for tube, pump, windbreaker, some tools, co2, high tech food, and I'm sure I'll manage to get more stuff in there once the weather cools down.

So I totally want that thing. There aren't 2 rides a year I would use it on.
Old 08-21-18, 10:12 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Just to answer some of the very valid points raised. My rides are never more than 2 hours at the moment. I still have the option of a second water bottle on the top tube as the bike has three sets of bottle cage bosses on it. In addition, I have a 3-litre hydration pack if required.

As I've managed to fit the correctly sized tube within the tool bottle, I think the risks are lessened.

I always carry sufficient money with me to call a cab to get me home should I fail to get going in the event of a tyre puncture.

No wild animals in this urban wonderland!

@rosefarts: the Vittoria tool bottle is rather splendid if you can get all your items into it. I'd say it's roughly the same size as a 550ml water bottle. Being semi-rigid and with a flexible zipper, it's far easier to store contents securely and more easily compared to the hard plastic tool bottles. Also, the cost was very favourable when I bought it, and compared well with budget water bottles. I think they've changed the material a little and made it a bit thinner compared to the original Vittoria tool bottles (I have another one from several years ago which seems a little heavier and the shell a bit thicker).
Old 08-21-18, 02:29 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I found this video on YouTube on how to repack an inner tube to make its volume smaller. It also contains advice on slightly inflating a brand new tube and coating it with talcum powder which conditions it prior to repacking it.

I'm going to try this tomorrow as it contains some pretty good tips.