Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Training for the Annual 50+ Blueberry (or other) Pie Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Training for the Annual 50+ Blueberry (or other) Pie Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 01:15 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Well, just as an aside, on my first cross country ride we had this young guy on the ride who was a linebacker on his college football team. We did a very circuitous route starting in Bellingham, WA heading East and had already done 3,000 plus miles by the time we hit North Dakota. This is where we ran into this diner that had an ongoing pie eating contest where the pies were free if you could beat the record. I can't remember how much the linebacker actually ate but he beat the record by an entire pie. I could tell they were pissed but what could they do? It was actually funny to see him devastate the record by so much. We still had thirty miles to ride out of an 85 mile day but he made it. I've ridden cross country three times and just finished a ride the entire length of the Mississippi. I actually don't like the riding so much ... I do these tours for the small town diners and their pies with the knowledge I can eat as much as I want and still not get fat.
Old 07-19-10, 09:13 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I must admit that the addition of 15lbs of extra "muscle" primarily located above below and below above has caused me to somewhat re-think the weekly pie ride. So with a tip of the hat to Stapfam, I've been doing a weekly scone instead. I am, however, ready and willing to sacrifice all for the sake of tradition!
Old 07-19-10, 09:29 AM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
I must admit that the addition of 15lbs of extra "muscle" primarily located above below and below above has caused me to somewhat re-think the weekly pie ride. So with a tip of the hat to Stapfam, I've been doing a weekly scone instead. I am, however, ready and willing to sacrifice all for the sake of tradition!
That's the spirit! You'll take one for the Denver!
Old 07-19-10, 09:59 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
Dude I am so in on this. I've got the perfect pie emporium already on my list. Its gonna be great. I do have one question though are extra points awarded if a meal is consumed before the pie?
Problem is the milage---- 15 miles have to be done and in only 15 miles- How much of a meal can you eat before the Pie. Far better to have two portions of Pie.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-19-10, 10:49 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Not wishing to spoil my training when in Colorado I road almost all the way to Mesa Verde from Cortez and back for a totoal of 16 miles. I didn't want to jump the gun so I practiced on fresh Peach Cobbler with ice cream. I rode another 12 miles two days later but didn't have anything because I came up short on the mileage. But two days after that I once again had Peach Cobbler at the Grand Canyon. So I believe I have the pie part set up. Now all I have to do is drop by Sue' place and see if I can get down a piece of Cookie pie. It will be a struggle but I am willing to try it and report to the group if it qualifies.
I "command" you to investigate the cookie pie and post a recipe!

Cortez to Mesa Verde, great ride, you did some climbing! You know what they say-Practise makes perfect."

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-19-10, 12:23 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Problem is the milage---- 15 miles have to be done and in only 15 miles- How much of a meal can you eat before the Pie. Far better to have two portions of Pie.
My gastrointestinal prowess is well known. I would consider a grilled chicken salad or a club sandwich and fries to be the perfect prelude to a slice of Blueberry pie. I think it can be done, in fact I'm sure I will have to take my wife on a training ride this upcoming weekend to see if we are up to it. Shall I post photos of the training ride and pie consumption?
Old 07-19-10, 04:55 PM
Daspydyr 

At our age, photos are always a plus. I miss the Polaroid of having the camera spit out the print and 60 seconds later seeing what you got.

What a kick getting to see all the uploaded digital photos! And bikes sneaking up on pie, that is scary. I wonder if that is what happened to the beer in the poolside fridge? How do you smell the breathe on a bike?

Old 07-19-10, 05:37 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm a little embarassed to say this but I've been having more difficulty than I thought I should finding a really good local pie venue. The best I can come up with is (I think) Grant's Fork, Illinois. Great name for a pie place but it's not one of my regular bicycling routes.
Old 07-19-10, 06:24 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
My gastrointestinal prowess is well known. I would consider a grilled chicken salad or a club sandwich and fries to be the perfect prelude to a slice of Blueberry pie. I think it can be done, in fact I'm sure I will have to take my wife on a training ride this upcoming weekend to see if we are up to it. Shall I post photos of the training ride and pie consumption?
Well, use caution in your training ride. We decided to try a new place and set out to find the route. Four hours later we had ridden a measly 24 miles, got lost three times (my navigator has been fired) and I got a flat. It was 95 degrees. We never even got to the pie place. I did come up with a few new names for him, however.
Old 07-19-10, 07:28 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Well, use caution in your training ride. We decided to try a new place and set out to find the route. Four hours later we had ridden a measly 24 miles, got lost three times (my navigator has been fired) and I got a flat. It was 95 degrees. We never even got to the pie place. I did come up with a few new names for him, however.
Our pie/dinner stop is a familiar place on a regular ride we do often and I have personally inspected and ingested the wares of this venue on many occasions. THERE WILL BE PIE
Old 07-19-10, 08:16 PM
jjmctag
jjmctag

Bikes: Have borrowed a Schwinn MTB and a Releigh roadie to try and see which one I like before I purchase one of my own. Just purchased a 2010 Specialized Tri-Cross Sport.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Dnvrfox,

Can a newbie join the Annual Pie Ride? I'm in my 60's and started riding late last year and doing 50 to 60 mi a week, but will sure try to be in shape for the Pie Ride.
I Love Blue Berry Pie!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-10, 05:43 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jjmctag
Hi Dnvrfox,

Can a newbie join the Annual Pie Ride? I'm in my 60's and started riding late last year and doing 50 to 60 mi a week, but will sure try to be in shape for the Pie Ride.
I Love Blue Berry Pie!!!!!!!!!
All are welcome. Even newbies. Please join us.
Old 07-20-10, 05:56 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
A Garmin with mapping will solve your problems Mine has saved me a few miles when we've become lost and it can give you directions to the nearest pie stop!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-20-10, 09:08 AM
jjmctag
jjmctag

Bikes: Have borrowed a Schwinn MTB and a Releigh roadie to try and see which one I like before I purchase one of my own. Just purchased a 2010 Specialized Tri-Cross Sport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
All are welcome. Even newbies. Please join us.
THANKS, I love reading all the 50+ posts, and looking forward to that pie.
Old 07-20-10, 10:25 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Boo...Hiss... I have to work that day. Besides for all of the great food here in New Orleans, there is very little pie. DRATT!!! Bread pudding yep and it's to die for. Beignets sure, with good coffe as well, but alas NO good pie.
Old 07-20-10, 01:11 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
Boo...Hiss... I have to work that day. Besides for all of the great food here in New Orleans, there is very little pie. DRATT!!! Bread pudding yep and it's to die for. Beignets sure, with good coffe as well, but alas NO good pie.
It has to be an exceptional case---But pudding is nearly a pie in certain eyes. I was brought up on Bread pudding- so it will have to be investigated by the Forum. And it will have to be an exceptionally good Pudding to Qualify. Hopefully as good as the one I found Last year.

Breadpud..jpg

But this ride will be in the Autumn. The time for the Autumn fruits. No blueberry over here so I have been known to substitute Autumn fruit crumble for Pie because it looked so good. It tasted as good as it looked but I had to have a second helping to confirm this---and Crumble has to be eaten with hot Custard.

pie..JPG

So wonder what bread pud is like with custard?

And for those unfortunates that have to work that day- The wife/ Husband insists that as its your anniversary and you are not riding today- or some other major catastrophy occurs on this day- You can do it the following day instead. But we must have proof of the pie eaten.

P.S.----- I will be on a ride that day- Just to make you lot a bit jealous- it is the "London Leg of the Tour of Britain."

Only two laps of the course but it is arranged for charity- the Prostate Cancer Charity. Probably only about 20 miles to be done with no-one allowed to overtake the pace car that is behind the 20 or so celebrities that will be participating on electric bikes.

They asked for fancy dress and I finished up on a 50lbs bike and a costume that was a bit difficult to ride in. They may have asked for Fancy dress and they got one------Just one---- No-one else bothered.

bananaman..jpg

But come what may- I will be finding Pie. I did last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
piechart..jpg (35.7 KB, 13 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 07-20-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 05:04 PM
Daspydyr 

CONFLICT! My niece is getting married Sept. 18. Can I be granted a variance? One weekend in either direction?

Old 07-29-10, 08:38 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
ABCE is on the 18th of September. Would the "Pastry Joust" cover the pie requirement?
Old 07-30-10, 09:49 AM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
CONFLICT! My niece is getting married Sept. 18. Can I be granted a variance? One weekend in either direction?
ride in the A.M, eat pie and re-hydrate on someone elses tab at the reception.
Old 08-06-10, 03:33 AM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Well I've been training for this ride by checking out various pie places but maybe I've been over-training as I seem a few lbs. heavier than when I started.
Old 08-06-10, 05:01 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately when in Maine a few weeks back I found the best pies I ever consumed. Too far to go for a pie ride. It's still a bit too early for local apples so I'll have to ask my pie chef to make a berry pie from frozen. Still good but nothing beats apples right off the tree.
Old 08-06-10, 06:32 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
I don't know who has the authority to grant variances, but if I do, so be it. Variance granted. If someone else has that authority, please speak up. Or, perhaps, there is no one with this authority?
Old 08-06-10, 06:39 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I don't know who has the authority to grant variances, but if I do, so be it. Variance granted. If someone else has that authority, please speak up. Or, perhaps, there is no one with this authority?
We obviously need a 50+ Pie Counsel to make these decisions.
Old 08-06-10, 10:37 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
A Garmin with mapping will solve your problems Mine has saved me a few miles when we've become lost and it can give you directions to the nearest pie stop!
Really? Directions to the pie shop? wow gotta get me one of these Garmin Pie Map things. I seem to have a dearth of options in my locale. must go further to investigate. back later.
Old 08-06-10, 10:50 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Unfortunately when in Maine a few weeks back I found the best pies I ever consumed. Too far to go for a pie ride. It's still a bit too early for local apples so I'll have to ask my pie chef to make a berry pie from frozen. Still good but nothing beats apples right off the tree.
As dnvrFox said- Someone has to take a decision but you must promise to post pics- write an appraisal of the Pie and Judge the cafe on a * rating.

Spike Milligan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.