Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Century = Marathon ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Century = Marathon ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-14, 07:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Running a marathon is a lot harder, and a lot dumber, than riding a century.
Old 07-26-14, 07:18 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
I've done centuries numerous times.
On my several attempts to complete a marathon, I did 18 miles on my best attempt.
Old 07-26-14, 08:25 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
This guy probably knows what he's talking about, let's ask him.......
Lance Armstrong: ?I Admire the Runners Even More? » Take The Magic Step®
Old 07-26-14, 08:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
This guy probably knows what he's talking about, let's ask him.......
Lance Armstrong: ?I Admire the Runners Even More? » Take The Magic Step®
Are you trying to get this thread locked??

Troublemaker. Provocateur.
Old 07-26-14, 08:33 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Are you trying to get this thread locked??

Troublemaker. Provocateur.
Quoi? Moi? Mais Non!
Old 07-26-14, 08:35 AM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Why isn't question asked of an Ironman competitor? After all, they are doing the three events -- 1.5km swim, 180km bike and marathon run -- and would have a good handle on how the marathon stacked up against the others two.

Oh, that's right, tri athletes (which Ironmen are) are regarded with sneering disdain here.
I would expect that most triathletes are going to go a little harder on the run as it's the last segment. It's also more difficult to take in and digest nutrition while running.

I don't think many tri athletes do many, if any, 26 mile training runs, whereas it wouldn't be uncommon to do 180km bike rides.
Old 07-26-14, 10:11 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
So after all of this discussion, the clear answer is:

It depends.
Old 07-26-14, 12:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Someone should take this to the tri thread and ask any IMers which leg is harder, the 112 mile bike in the middle, or the marathon at the end.
I am preparing for another Ironman Florida on November 1, 2014. Two weeks ago on Sunday was a 135 mile bike. Last weekend was a Sprint tri. Today was a 133 mile bike. Next month is another Sprint. Between now and November I will be riding 100+ miles 2 times per month. Long runs not so much since I am 64 years old with bad knees and can only jog/walk BECAUSE for myself, running/jogging is much harder on my body than biking.

There's a select group of athletes who fly when running and for them the marathon is a cake walk. 6mpm pace and far less is nothing for them.

BTW, the swim is 2.4 miles or 3.8624km not 1.5km

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-26-14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-26-14, 12:49 PM
THSdrummer

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run 14 miles at a pretty moderate pace for me. Can get fairly intense.

I've ridden 80 miles really relaxed. Very relaxed.

I felt worse the days after the 80 mile ride (just one, I've ran 14 miles on multiple occasions). I can definitely walk after either. In fact, I played 32 holes of disc golf and worked 6 hours on my feet after my last hilly 14 miler, but getting around after that ride is a bit rougher for me than a long run. Keep in mind I train for running though. Also, the sorest part of me after the 80 mile ride was my saddle region.

I've always compared a running marathon to a century ride. As others say, it comes down to intensity. If I were to relax the pace on my run, I'm sure I could go a lot further than what I've done so far, but that wouldn't necessarily help with what I'm training for. If I picked up the pace on my ride, I wouldn't have made it nearly as far. The long slow ride was just me getting out and celebrating the end of the season. I wanted 80 miles, so I went and got it.
Old 07-26-14, 12:49 PM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running, at least for me, was tougher. It also took longer to train for than any century I have done. My last hilly ride was Savage Century (12k of climbing) and it wasn't as hard as the marathon. When I was training for the marathon I essentially had to stop riding on Saturdays because the Sunday long runs got to be too hard. Generally I can ride both weekend days.

I still prefer riding, but I kinda do miss my morning runs in the fall around DC.
Old 07-26-14, 08:06 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'm a fast twitch muscle type of person. At my age, endurance sports are all that's left. All endurance sports are tough for me. I'm currently training for a marathon and ride a century a month. Running is a lot harder for me unless it is a climbing ride. But it is really about what you are training for. If I tried to play 2 hours of basketball tomorrow, I would be winded after 2 trips up the court. And, I would have trouble getting out of bed and walking the next day.

With the marathon training now I am running over 20 miles a week. But attempting a competitive game of some type of fast twitch sport, even some hard sprinting workouts would most likely result in some immediate cramps or pulled muscles. The muscles are no longer trained for that.

Last edited by seypat; 07-26-14 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-26-14, 08:16 PM
rpeterson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've done both, and am an avid triathlete. The marathon is way harder simply because it beats the Hell out of your body. I can do 2 or 3 centuries a week no problem, even a hard road race ever couple weeks, but 2 or 3 marathons a year is all my body can physically handle. It takes way more time to recover from the training and racing.
Old 07-26-14, 10:19 PM
Sdjclevland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the runnijg is way harder on your body. The farthest I have ran is ten miles at a 8 min 50 sec pace and cardio wise it was pretty easy relatively speaking but at same time I was very tired when done and no way in hell could I have done another 16 miles. My legs could have never taken it even though I was not pushijg at all until the last mile where I sped up a lot. Also I have been runnijg for years and can run a decent 5k time but nothing special.

After a month and a half of cyclijg I ddi a 100 mile ride. I really did not train for it I just did like three 50mile rides and a 60 miler. Again Cardio wise the century was not hard I was e not pushing but I know for a fact I could have put in at lest another 30 miles on the bike.

I feel the the biking is way easier. Your heart rate is lower in general and you can coast if you want to. There is no coasting in running.
Old 07-26-14, 10:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
So after all of this discussion, the clear answer is:

It depends.
Yes, the answer depends on whether you have ever run a marathon.
Old 07-26-14, 11:31 PM
bjtesch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The average recreation runner will expend energy much faster running than they would cycling. Cycling your body has a chance to recover a little bit over the time of the ride. Running a marathon you are on the verge of hitting the wall. You can hit the wall cycling too, but if you slow down and pace yourself it will help. Just guessing according to the numbers of marathon runners that I see hit the wall vs. the amount of century riders, I'm guessing that running a marathon is more like 125-150 miles.
Old 07-26-14, 11:35 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by bjtesch
The average recreation runner will expend energy much faster running than they would cycling. Cycling your body has a chance to recover a little bit over the time of the ride. Running a marathon you are on the verge of hitting the wall. You can hit the wall cycling too, but if you slow down and pace yourself it will help. Just guessing according to the numbers of marathon runners that I see hit the wall vs. the amount of century riders, I'm guessing that running a marathon is more like 125-150 miles.
You can also slow down running a marathon as well. It's called walking and many people do it during the course of a marathon.

For reference about 40% of the finishers of the last Vancouver Marathon (~5000) took over 5 hrs to complete. That's about the time it would take me if I ran/walked (50/50) the 40km.
Old 07-27-14, 02:50 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rpeterson
I've done both, and am an avid triathlete. The marathon is way harder simply because it beats the Hell out of your body. I can do 2 or 3 centuries a week no problem, even a hard road race ever couple weeks, but 2 or 3 marathons a year is all my body can physically handle. It takes way more time to recover from the training and racing.
I think this is the answer everyone should read.

That ability to repeat marathons/centuries each week is the key.
Old 07-27-14, 06:18 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Originally Posted by Rowan
I think this is the answer everyone should read.

That ability to repeat marathons/centuries each week is the key.
Yes, but didn't two Aussies just finish running a marathon a day for the last year?

To me, the whole thing hinges on "running" a marathon vs "completing" a marathon, and "riding" a century vs "racing" a century. I could walk a Marathon in 6 hours, and it would represent very little appreciable wear and tear (and as a seasoned hiker, I know I maintain 4.5 mph on asphalt). I have gone on a 80 mile bike ride that damn near killed me.

So I will stay with "it depends".
Old 07-27-14, 09:17 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
I agree, different creatures and not a good comparison. All my centuries have been done under 5 hrs., but with a group. Some can do them under 4 hrs, not me. Obviously at major effort. You could walk/jog 24 miles with little effort. Yes, very different and depends on your goals and effort. I think this is why the term marathon isn't often used in cycling.
Marathon is specific to the distance from the battlefield of Marathon to Athens: 26 miles, 385 yards. The messenger ran this distance to convey the news of the successful outcome of the battle to the people of Athens. It wouldn't be appropriate to apply the name to cycling. Not that someone might have a wild-assed idea at some point, but that wouldn't make it right...
Old 07-27-14, 09:28 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
Marathon is specific to the distance from the battlefield of Marathon to Athens: 26 miles, 385 yards. The messenger ran this distance to convey the news of the successful outcome of the battle to the people of Athens. It wouldn't be appropriate to apply the name to cycling. Not that someone might have a wild-assed idea at some point, but that wouldn't make it right...
Yeah, if Pheidippides had a bike he could've been in Athens in about an hour. Might not have collapsed and died when he got there.
Old 07-27-14, 09:34 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Yeah, if Pheidippides had a bike he could've been in Athens in about an hour. Might not have collapsed and died when he got there.
It's all Greek to me.
Old 07-27-14, 02:43 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, it he had to do it over...
Old 07-27-14, 02:46 PM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about double century/marathon and century/half marathon?
Old 07-27-14, 03:42 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run all out marathons while at peak condition during my running days. I have also ridden all out centuries while at peak condition during my riding days. Marathons, at least for me, took considerably more effort and the recovery period was much longer.
Old 07-27-14, 04:24 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No, not even close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.