Search this Thread

Old 05-31-14, 01:19 AM
Aznman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Orange Line Bike Pathway

For those who live in San Fernando Valley, do you think we should petition about some of the gaping weaknesses of the Orange Line Bike pathway?

I tried using the trail, and it has so many potentials. Unfortunately, there are red lights at almost every block, a problem that is further compounded by the fact that all of the red lights are insanely long. In fact, cyclists have to wait so long that pedestrians can catch up with them.

Furthermore, the pathway goes through a lot of secluded and shady spots. Heinous crimes can be committed with impunity.

This MUP could have been the safest and fastest in San Fernando valley. I want such a trail to rise up to greatness.
Is it too late to improve the trail now?
Old 05-31-14, 08:16 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from A&S to SoCal regional.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-31-14, 02:33 PM
Focused1
Who said slow isn't fun..

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1, Lemond Buenos Aires, Santa Cruz Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride it quite a bit, and yes the stop lights are a drag. Only thing I can say is that they are shorter depending on what time/day you go. As far as improvement, I don't know what can be done because the path crosses many major intersections, so traffic control is a given. Going west from my place in Sherman Oaks, u can avoid it by riding so. of Ventura Blvd thru the side streets (Rancho, Wells, etc.) all the way from Balboa Park to Woodland Hills. Going east towards Griffith Park, not quite as bad, but still with some lights....
Old 05-31-14, 09:41 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I left the valley in 2003, before that was built. In truth, the valley wasn't a terrible place to bike when I left. I may catch the Metrolink up there for a nostalgia ride, and check out that path. I suspect that there may be alternate routes that are superior to the path.

I like the fact that money is being spent on bike infrastructure, and quite frustrated that so much is being spent stupidly.
Old 06-01-14, 09:58 PM
Focused1
Who said slow isn't fun..

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1, Lemond Buenos Aires, Santa Cruz Superlight

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=CommuteCommando;16809912]I left the valley in 2003, before that was built. In truth, the valley wasn't a terrible place to bike when I left. I may catch the Metrolink up there for a nostalgia ride, and check out that path. I suspect that there may be alternate routes that are superior to the path.

I like the fact that money is being spent on bike infrastructure, and quite frustrated that so much is being spent stupidly.[/QUOTE

A nice ride where u can avoid the path the whole way by making this an out and back...you could go all the way to Pedaler's Fork in Calabasas and have a break or do a loop where the return is on the Orange Kine (as in the Strava description)
Bike Ride Profile | Bruno's Secret Passage near Los Angeles | Times and Records | Strava
Old 06-02-14, 07:40 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Focused1
A nice ride where u can avoid the path the whole way by making this an out and back...you could go all the way to Pedaler's Fork in Calabasas and have a break or do a loop where the return is on the Orange Kine (as in the Strava description)
Bike Ride Profile | Bruno's Secret Passage near Los Angeles | Times and Records | Strava
These are a couple of typical routes I would take. The first got me to the North Hollywood Red Line when I took an occasional trip to Long Beach via Red Line/Blue Line, often taking the Green Line to SGR path for a ten mile ride to the beach. The second is to CSUN where I was taking some extension classes, then south toward Woodley park. The last bit of that I drew manually. I remember a path that followed the river past the model airplane fields all the way to Burbank Bl, but RWGPS does not show it.

v1 - Burbank, CA v2 - Burbank, CA
Old 06-02-14, 07:16 PM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cool route guys. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-05-14, 01:14 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Focused1
I ride it quite a bit, and yes the stop lights are a drag. Only thing I can say is that they are shorter depending on what time/day you go. As far as improvement, I don't know what can be done because the path crosses many major intersections, so traffic control is a given. Going west from my place in Sherman Oaks, u can avoid it by riding so. of Ventura Blvd thru the side streets (Rancho, Wells, etc.) all the way from Balboa Park to Woodland Hills. Going east towards Griffith Park, not quite as bad, but still with some lights....
I rode the Orange line all the way East starting from a bit West of Pierce when it opened.

The one thing I was really looking forward to was where the path would swing a bit North behind the baseball fields, following the old railway line.

That part wasn't there. It dumped people onto the sidewalk.

Of course the OP wouldn't like it because it would be to isolated.
Old 06-07-14, 08:38 PM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Apparently, there are grapevines (and thus goat heads) along the path as well. So much for being designed for bikes
Old 08-11-14, 10:51 PM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just curious. Is anybody here still petitioning the bike path commissioner about the stop light problems and the goathead problems along the path?

Update: Metro Orange Line Extension Bike Path | LADOT Bike Blog
Old 08-12-14, 03:10 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Metro Orange Line Bike Path, in its entirety, is a gift. However, for riders who like to ride without constant red light stopping and goat head flats, that will never change. There are so many other routs for 'serious' riding. Forget the petition, nothing will change. Next subject.