Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Talk to me about racks!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Talk to me about racks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 06:15 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Talk to me about racks!

Hi!

Started living in philly full time recently and I'm trying to do everything I can by bike without using my car more so than for visiting family/friends over the weekend or for large grocery/store trips. Will be using the bike for commuting, grocery runs, and generally just getting around!

The bike in question is a charge plug : https://www.wiggle.com/charge-plug-2-2016
-Short of it. Wide ish tires, cable disc brakes, decent enough parts, not super attention getting, and fender + rear rack mounts.

First question:
I currently have a rear rack on the bike. It's a topeak explorer disc. https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...C)-(W-O-SPRING)
-Goal is to fit a basket on top of the rack as well as allow for use of panniers. With the current rack, it really doesn't look like it would be possible to do this. Would I need to get something like a 'super tourist' rack to be able to do this? Something like this: https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...C)-(W-O-SPRING)
-Or this so I don't have to deal with the topeak MTX adapter thing which looks like it would just get in the way if trying to mount a basket.
https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bike-Ra...02T5H8MW&psc=1

Second question:
Is there any way to attach a front rack to a bike with fender eyelets on the fork but no second attachment point along the fork blade? It's a carbon fork so P clamps are probably out of the running. I've seen some racks/baskets that clamp to either the QR for the front wheel or use a bolt on axle and mount there. Wald seems to do the latter. I've just never really seen them on a bike with QR's so wondering what it would look like. I do have a front brake boss in the fork I can use as well.
-This is the QR one: https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-QR-Te.../dp/B007HOPPVQ

Thanks for any and all input!
Old 07-17-22, 06:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
The rear rack looks like about any rear pannier will mount. Most I've seen have hook hangers that sit on the top rail, then either a bungee cord hook to keep the bottom on, or like an Ortleib a rotating clip that catches one of the diagonal struts. Lots of panniers out there.

As to the front, Axiom makes a low rider front rack that uses a U bolt around the fork. Or get a model rack that has a top shelf that is welded to the side racks. You dont need a fork eyelet or mount for that, it just bolts onto the fork eyelets.

Curious as to why you think you need front panniers ?. I commuted with medium sized rear panniers only, was perfect for the crap I carried. You could get large rear panniers, the Ortelib Back Rollers are 40 liters, plus a trunk bag that fits on top of the rear rack (velcros) and cam carry a ton pf crap.

Universal Cycles as a decent selection as does REI, but bags only, not much racks from REI for some odd reason,
Old 07-17-22, 08:37 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The rear rack looks like about any rear pannier will mount. Most I've seen have hook hangers that sit on the top rail, then either a bungee cord hook to keep the bottom on, or like an Ortleib a rotating clip that catches one of the diagonal struts. Lots of panniers out there.

As to the front, Axiom makes a low rider front rack that uses a U bolt around the fork. Or get a model rack that has a top shelf that is welded to the side racks. You dont need a fork eyelet or mount for that, it just bolts onto the fork eyelets.

Curious as to why you think you need front panniers ?. I commuted with medium sized rear panniers only, was perfect for the crap I carried. You could get large rear panniers, the Ortelib Back Rollers are 40 liters, plus a trunk bag that fits on top of the rear rack (velcros) and cam carry a ton pf crap.

Universal Cycles as a decent selection as does REI, but bags only, not much racks from REI for some odd reason,
Hi!

The issue is that putting a basket on the rear rack will block the access to the panniers mounting. The first rack replacement option looks to have a bit of space between where the panniers mount and where the basket would sit. I think I'm just going to order the topeak super tourist rack and put the explorer that I have on my fiance's bike for grocery runs.

I'll forget about the front rack for now. Was basically hoping for a setup where I could throw my work backpack on the front basket but this way should work out fine as well, i.e. basket on new rear rack with the offset to allow panniers to sit on there as well!
Old 07-18-22, 11:25 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I prefer the weight on the front if I’m just throwing cloths and such in my panniers I just use the rear, but if I’m going shopping I put the fronts on and all the groceries go there
Old 07-18-22, 12:31 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The reason panniers work so well for carrying a load is the weight is low to the ground and has less effect on the center of gravity for the bike. If you add a wire basket to the top of the rack and load it up with a lot of weight it will make the bike less stable and harder for you to maintain your balance. I've seen some trikes outfitted with a rack, plastic buckets on the side, and a milk crate on the top of the rack. Looks like crap but at least on a trike it will not have as much affect on handling.
Old 07-18-22, 12:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Roswheel in the UK makes a nice rear rack ($60) that has a lower horizontal bar to install the hooks on the rear pannier. That allows a trunk bag to stay attached with no interference with the panniers. I have a front lowrider rack from them, good quality, good price and they shop direct in a hurry.

Tour Rear Rack – Roswheel