Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Changing fork rake on a 'gravel' bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 08:47 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts

Hi!

I have a 2018 giant Tcx advanced sx (size M/L) that's currently using a fork from a 2015 tcx because it was full carbon and lighter.

I'm starting to wade more into the adventure side of things and want a fork with bottle/accessory mounts. I've found something promising that's got a rake of 45 vs the 50 my fork came with. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth trying out.

I also ride this bike on the road a lot, but have separate wheels. The tires on said wheels are narrower which should decrease the trail a bit for more spirited riding, right?

Any advice appreciated!
Old 08-22-23, 07:30 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Hi!

I have a 2018 giant Tcx advanced sx (size M/L) that's currently using a fork from a 2015 tcx because it was full carbon and lighter.

I'm starting to wade more into the adventure side of things and want a fork with bottle/accessory mounts. I've found something promising that's got a rake of 45 vs the 50 my fork came with. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth trying out.

I also ride this bike on the road a lot, but have separate wheels. The tires on said wheels are narrower which should decrease the trail a bit for more spirited riding, right?

Any advice appreciated!
guessssss whooooo!
Old 08-23-23, 09:44 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Wspsux
guessssss whooooo!
Someone that lives in northern NJ and not in VT?
Old 08-23-23, 10:33 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Hi!

Any advice appreciated!
Hey bud. The reduced rake will increase trail, by an amount that would probably be noticeable. But it will also shorten the wheelbase a bit. Between that and relatively narrow tires, the effect on handling would probably be relatively small. I don’t think it would do any harm, probably worth trying. I would also compare the axle to crown of the two forks, if they’re different that could have an effect as well.
Old 08-23-23, 06:48 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by grolby
Hey bud. The reduced rake will increase trail, by an amount that would probably be noticeable. But it will also shorten the wheelbase a bit. Between that and relatively narrow tires, the effect on handling would probably be relatively small. I don’t think it would do any harm, probably worth trying. I would also compare the axle to crown of the two forks, if they’re different that could have an effect as well.
Hey man! How are ya!? Been a minute.

I think the axle to crown measurement between the two forks is within 5-6mm. I think they're the same, but I'm measuring with a tape and the ATC measurement for the new fork is on the box.

Also, I'm going to be using 32's or so for the road, but 35-40's on more gravel-ish rides. So when riding primarily on the road, the trail will be lower since the tires will be slightly narrower, although not by much. I'm guessing that this bike was designed with 32-34mm tires in mind because cross.
Old 08-24-23, 02:06 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Was just reminded about the JJBP conversion axles and will try one of those first.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 08-28-23, 12:19 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Someone that lives in northern NJ and not in VT?
quit doxing bro, thats not cool.
Old 08-28-23, 07:53 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Oh shush two shoes