Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset compatibility for new fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 02:33 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts

Hi!

I have a 2018 giant tcx advanced sx frame and recently bought a new fork for it after detecting some cracking on the carbon fork I had.

This is the new fork:
https://www.ragleybikes.com/products/trig-carbon-gravel-bike-fork

Of note the Integrated crown race for 1.5” 36 degree contact angle bearing.

I feel a bit lost because the bike had a giant overdrive 2 headset on it. I bought an overdrive 1 thinking that was the normal headset and it doesn't seem to fit. Guessing it's not really for a tapered headset.

Can anyone help me find the correct headset for it? Is this what I'm looking for? Thanks so much for your help!

​​​​​Fsa number 42 orbit C40

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203095473778?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8r6DL7rLRq2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=f0dEC0t8RzS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Old 09-30-23, 12:37 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
bump...ity bump bump

anyone?
Old 09-30-23, 06:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
When I worked in a Giant dealer shop (2003-2010) we were frustrated by a few of their headsets. Odd and proprietary fits. I never got fully fluent in their specs. But this was when I was turning away from trying to memorize the ever changing "standards"... Andy
Old 09-30-23, 06:16 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
As noted, the fork linked to uses a 1.5"/36 degree bearing and the Giant seems to use a 45-degree? bearing. It may be as easy as just trading the bottom bearing but that is just a big maybe. Probably best to visit a Giant dealer with the bike and fork and see if they can sort it out.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 09-30-23 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-30-23, 11:00 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
As noted, the fork linked to uses a 1.5"/36 degree bearing and the Giant seems to use a 45-degree? bearing. It may be as easy as just trading the bottom bearing but that is just a big maybe. Probably best to visit a Giant dealer with the bike and fork and see if they can sort it out.
I just ordered an fsa lower bearing with these specs so let's see what happens. I just installed the stock fork I had on hand but can confirm that the upper bearing set I have works with a 1 1/8 setup.

Bearing specs: ACB 1.5" 36° x 45° MR127
It's an Fsa bearing

Fingers crossed. Should know after work on monday.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 10-02-23, 10:24 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

And no dice. Bearing fits the fork but not into the headtube... Ugh.
Old 10-02-23, 10:45 PM
Crankycrank

Time to take it to the Giant dealership with the bike and fork and the original and new bottom bearings and they can probably figure it out. Buy the bearing from them so they can get paid for their expertise and sell the other bearings you bought on Ebay or ? Take this as a learning experience to double check that what you have will work with new and different parts which is getting more and more the norm with all the different standards and proprietary parts these days.
Old 10-03-23, 08:16 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Time to take it to the Giant dealership with the bike and fork and the original and new bottom bearings and they can probably figure it out. Buy the bearing from them so they can get paid for their expertise and sell the other bearings you bought on Ebay or ? Take this as a learning experience to double check that what you have will work with new and different parts which is getting more and more the norm with all the different standards and proprietary parts these days.
Do you think a giant dealership is going to help me figure out how to make an aftermarket fork fit on their frame?

I'm honestly wondering if theres a crown race adapter or such that I can use with the frame to get it to work.
Old 10-03-23, 08:39 AM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Do you think a giant dealership is going to help me figure out how to make an aftermarket fork fit on their frame?
I'm honestly wondering if theres a crown race adapter or such that I can use with the frame to get it to work.
I certainly would expect them to give it a try as you already bought the bike and the original fork cracked. You won't know until you ask.
Old 10-03-23, 09:41 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

I certainly would expect them to give it a try as you already bought the bike and the original fork cracked. You won't know until you ask.
Ah yeah, this is true. However the fork that cracked is off an old frame that was warranteed. I just kept using it since it was fine and it was lighter. The original frame had a crack in a chainstay. The fork that came with this fork is fine and is now back on the bike. So it's functional for now. I guess I'm going to take a loss and sell the fork.
Old 10-04-23, 01:06 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Ah yeah, this is true. However the fork that cracked is off an old frame that was warranteed. I just kept using it since it was fine and it was lighter. The original frame had a crack in a chainstay. The fork that came with this fork is fine and is now back on the bike. So it's functional for now. I guess I'm going to take a loss and sell the fork.
Email Cane Creek.. i've gotten decent help from them before... my Cannondale M600 project had them jumping but they only gave some info.. that info led me to the correct adapter parts to fit a 1 1/8" fork into an old school, limited production, 1.125 / 1.25" bike frame..

Last edited by maddog34; 10-04-23 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-05-23, 05:16 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by maddog34
Email Cane Creek.. i've gotten decent help from them before... my Cannondale M600 project had them jumping but they only gave some info.. that info led me to the correct adapter parts to fit a 1 1/8" fork into an old school, limited production, 1.125 / 1.25" bike frame..
Worth a shot!
I'll report back with an update if there is one.

The solution I've seen involves using an adapter and just a straight 1 1/8 fork.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 11-09-23, 03:26 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

I honestly gave up...

I'm going to see if I can find a revolt fork that will work or just use something like the el jefe mounts to add mounting points for bottles or something to the fork.