Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are bicycle paths ploughed from snow in your city?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Are bicycle paths in your city ploughed from snow?
Yes
44.19%
No
41.86%
Something third - comment
13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 04:42 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts

My city (Novi Sad, Serbia, Europe, 3rd big rock from the Sun ) can be considered to be the "Serbian Amsterdam/Copenhagen."

We have a lot of separate bicycle paths, across practically the whole city.
However, they don't get cleared of snow in the winter, even though there are now many winter cyclists.

I'm curious:

What's the situation in your city?
If you have bicycle paths, do they get cleared?
If they are cleared, are they a top, or the lowest priority (or something third)?

Relja
Old 01-09-24, 06:41 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
There is one trail/path west of Philadelphia that was originally “sold” and funded as a commuter route. It is paved and stays in excellent condition. As it was designated a commuter route they must plow the snow off. And they do. County Park service so not the folks who do the roads. But there are sections that rarely see the sun due to terrain and tree cover so I have to keep a sharp eye out for ice.

That trail is the only one I’m aware of. I mostly ride around the neighborhoods (10 to 15 miles) during the winter. And only between 9:00am and 3:00pm (no cars).
Likes For Prowler:
Old 01-09-24, 07:49 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
There is one trail/path west of Philadelphia that was originally “sold” and funded as a commuter route. It is paved and stays in excellent condition. As it was designated a commuter route they must plow the snow off. And they do. County Park service so not the folks who do the roads. But there are sections that rarely see the sun due to terrain and tree cover so I have to keep a sharp eye out for ice.

That trail is the only one I’m aware of. I mostly ride around the neighborhoods (10 to 15 miles) during the winter. And only between 9:00am and 3:00pm (no cars).
Our city designers were far-sighted enough to design heating pipes to go beneath the bicycle pahts (wherever that was technically possible), so no ice, and if it's not too cold or with too much snow, many paths will auto-clean themselves.
(Of course, there is a risk of ice, especially in the early morning, in many places and I always ride with at least one studded tyre in the front)

However, vast majority of bicycle paths aren't cleaned/ploughed by the city (only if some "private person" decides to clean a part near their building or similar).
I suppose it's because of no budget - schools and hospitals etc. are always understaffed and underfunded.
So you must ride on the road when it's snowy.
I don't mind it - it seems that bad and nervous drivers come out only when it's sunny and hot.
But I suppose it's not perfect for the kids and the elderly.

Relja
Old 01-09-24, 07:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
5.5 mile path to the beach - No. That's NY State DoT. 14 mile path along the beach, also DoT - No. 15 mile path in a series of parks, maybe 2 miles gets plowed by a state park.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-09-24, 08:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
1. What's this "bicycle path" you mention?

2. Our snow removal plan for most roads is roughly, "Wait a day or two until it melts." MUPs are below roads in the plowing scheme, so ... no.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-09-24, 09:24 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
What is this snow you speak of? Honestly I doubt there is a snow plough in the Phoenix Metro area.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 01-09-24, 10:58 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
The Minneapolis/St. Paul and suburbs have been plowing more and more. It used to be minimal. It's still dependent on each municipality as to when and how well they clear them. Coordinating with street clearing is getting better. My worst incident was the I-494 bridge over the Minnesota River one winter morning. The path had been cleared the day before, but overnight MNDOT did a final cleaning of the freeway, dumping it all back on the adjacent path. It was a difficult 25+ minute walk to cross the bridge. I took a street route home that afternoon.

As to how well they're cleared, it depends a bit on how much foot traffic there is before they plow. Residential paths are worse that the "destination" paths. The streets are generally better than either, which is my preferred route year 'round. The "real" MUPS, as compared to the residential "asphalt sidewalks," seem to be higher priorities. There's a core group of we winter cyclists around here, and they've noticed and have responded.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 01-09-24, 12:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Before the streets in Denver. The city streets are under Transportation while the bike paths are under the Parks and Recreation. Parks and Rec are out before dawn on most of the major paths. In 30 years of living at my current address, I’ve seen the street plowed maybe 3 times. It’s hell getting out of the City and County of Denver but once I get to the suburbs, it’s clear sailin’.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-09-24, 04:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Snow happens here once every many years and is gone as soon as the sun rises

Edit: Sacramento had 2in one day in 1942 and again in 1976. There were flurries spotted here in Folsom last winter, but they did not accumulate.
https://ca.style.yahoo.com/snow-sacr...130000172.html
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-10-24 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-09-24, 05:03 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Here in the great white north, our bike paths are cleared on a priority 2 basis - which means after the main highways and freeways but before most other roads. Not bad, although as the network has expanded the snow plow fleet has stayed more or less the same, meaning it now may take a day or two longer for all the paths to get cleared.
Likes For mercator:
Old 01-09-24, 05:08 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
No plowing or clearing on MUPs or bike paths, in my area.

The main "bike route" streets through town do get plowed, of course, but often not all the way over to the bike lane itself. So, generally speaking, no those roads don't get plowed for bikes either.

Then again, there's not all that much snow here, in the typical winter. So it's the relatively rare week when snow-covered paths are there for long.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 01-09-24, 07:35 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Yes, in my part of Colorado Springs. But not always in time for my morning commute. That's okay, I have studded snow tires, and ride mostly on streets without bike lanes. Ninety-nine percent of the bike lanes are not separated/protected, so they get plowed along with the streets...usually, so I will take those after it snows.

The city has been building more MUPS, paving older dirt/gravel trails, and connecting existing trails. I'm very excited about a current trail upgrade that will connect two trails and pave older sections. I live 2/3 of a mile from one of them, and by next Spring I will be able to take 7 miles to a sidewalk 200 yards from my office with only one traffic light and only two or three other road crossings, both slow speed minor residential streets. If they plow 'em it would be really cool!

But the snow doesn't stay on the ground long here at 6500' in Colorado Springs. It can snow 4 inches overnight, and if it's a sunny day, it'll all be gone by noon except in the shadows.

I've been bike commuting here since 1992 (almost 32 years!) and watched the bike-frastructure grow including the plowing of trails which was very exciting the first time I saw that years ago.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-10-24, 02:08 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
All the bike paths that I use were cleaned in the past but during Coronavirus period some suburban cities stopped shoveling snow off these paths.
A couple of years ago, I noticed that a path only about 3 miles away from my home was not only not cleared, they decided to close it for the rest of the winter.

Cheaper to put a sign to close the trail

Last edited by Alan K; 01-19-24 at 08:05 PM.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-11-24, 06:00 AM
SebWGer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
It can take three to four days for bike paths in rural areas here to be cleared. Until then, people have already trampled their tire and foot prints into ice, which makes for quite the uncomfortable ride once the snow has been removed and only the ice prints remain.
Bike paths in town are usually cleared in a matter of hours but town folks have this annoying habit of spreading huge amounts of sand on the bike paths instead of salt (which is no longer legal now due to environment and stuff) which mixes with freshly melted snow and ice, collects on the lower parts of the bike and freezes to a strong dirt-ice-snow-shield on everything (drive train, brakes,...). Good intentions but not that well thought through.
Likes For SebWGer:
Old 01-11-24, 06:55 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Local MUPs have signs. Not maintained during winter months
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 01-11-24, 10:33 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by locolobo13
What is this snow you speak of? Honestly I doubt there is a snow plough in the Phoenix Metro area.
But then in summer one can render animal fat on your sidewalk… so there’s that.

Winters can be fun, not sure I can say the same for extreme hot summers.
Old 01-12-24, 07:49 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Where else can you fry an egg on the sidewalk?
Old 01-12-24, 10:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
In NYC, generally yes. Sometimes they forget. NYC now has bike lanes in many streets. When they wrote plan to put them in, they made a law saying that garbage trucks are allowed to use the bike lanes, and it's a compromise I accept. It creates an incentive for them to keep the bike lanes clear.

We have a multi-use path along the river called the Hudson River Greenway. It's the most heavily used bike commuting route in all of North America. But the northern end is lightly used. A few winters ago, it got covered in snow which then turned to ice. I got to a point where I couldn't ride or walk. The city had forgotten that people use the path or maybe they assumed we wouldn't want to. I sent a notice to the city using our 311 hotline, and I was quite surprised two or three days later to receive a note telling me they had taken care of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-12-24, 10:47 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Our trails in Fort Wayne Indiana don't get any type of snow removal, salt, nothing, and the bike lanes on the streets...well, that's where all the snow goes when they plow the streets!

But who cares since it's rare to see cyclists out in the cold, and even far less are out when there's snow and ice.

Last year when there wasn't any snow or ice on the road, but it was around 5 degrees F, I did see a medium build fit female rider out riding with what seemed to be a fall or spring type of cycling jacket on, but she had shorts on with no leg stockings? She didn't seem to mind the cold; maybe she thought the weather forecast said 50 instead of 5!
Old 01-12-24, 11:50 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 434 Posts
The path I ride from our house is 10 miles through four different towns. Three plow, our town didn't. So two years ago I brought it up with a Selectman I know, and wouldn't you know it, since then our town plows too. Main issue is ice from freeze/thaw cycles. One of the four towns actually puts down ice melt and sand. There are usually short icy stretches where I get off and walk the bike.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 01-13-24, 05:42 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
We have a network of MUP's (about 30 miles) that gets cleared by the parks department. Bike lanes get plowed but it takes several days before the street department gets the roads cleared all the way to the curbs.

Marc
Likes For irwin7638:
Old 01-13-24, 04:35 PM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
We have over 350 miles of bike routes here in Boulder, CO. Most are cleared quickly. The joke around here is the bikeways are cleared first, then the roads.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 01-15-24, 06:37 PM
Alan K

Today our bike paths look much better than our residential streets that are not a part of school bus routes.

Packed snow, driving on it is like on ice.

Last edited by Alan K; 01-19-24 at 08:07 PM.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-18-24, 12:33 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If Bike Paths mean bike lanes on streets where cars are, then 'yes'. Bike paths or MUPs through park trails are not maintained.

At the beginning of winter, the City of Toronto mails a schedule what is being cleared and how long after a snow storm. Bike lanes are listed. Last winter, the service was so bad a lot of residents complained they could not walk to the bus stop.

I had my city Councillor get on the contractor's case to redo specific sections of the bike lanes and sidewalk they neglected. In one email, I posted 14 photos with red circling the neglected areas.

A few days ago we had another snowfall. After it passed I went out to check the problem areas of last March and noted it had been properly cleared.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-20-24, 10:26 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
We have "buffered" bike lanes and "protected" bike lanes in Chicago.
Buffered lanes are separated from traffic by painted lines, so theoretically they should be plowed at the same time as the traffic lanes. In my experience, they are left un-plowed about half the time.
Protected lanes are separated from traffic by (at least) a raised concrete curb, usually with plastic bollards. Some of these lanes also have parked cars between the raised curb/bollards and the traffic lanes... pretty good protection. Unfortunately, these lanes require a smaller snow plow to clear, and this doesn't happen as fast as might be wished.
In the case of either type of lane not being plowed, this means the cyclists are in the traffic lanes when the snow is too deep to ride through.
This past week I was *mostly* able to navigate the bike lanes, but had to take the traffic lane for a few blocks on one occasion. Most motorists seem to understand, as I didn't get honked at (or run over!).
Likes For sweeks:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.