Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Top Headset Pieces need to sit flush?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 01:37 PM
hexron

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was changing the stem and my headset started coming apart and fork started to fall out. Haven't serviced my headset in a while - wondering do these top two pieces - were they once one piece - or are they supposed to sit flush? or is it stuppossed to sit just less than a mm above?
Old 05-25-18, 02:15 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hexron
Was changing the stem and my headset started coming apart and fork started to fall out. Haven't serviced my headset in a while - wondering do these top two pieces - were they once one piece - or are they supposed to sit flush? or is it stuppossed to sit just less than a mm above?
Should be flush, or close to it. Did you put the compression cone on the right way? Or if you did, it might not be fully seated.
Old 05-26-18, 04:09 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
They were never one piece. The lower piece is the headset cup and is firmly pressed into the head tube. The top piece is the headset top cover and it must be free to rotate with the fork/handlebars. There has to be some clearance between the two or there will be friction when turning the bars.
Old 05-26-18, 09:00 AM
hexron

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
Should be flush, or close to it. Did you put the compression cone on the right way? Or if you did, it might not be fully seated.
Thanks for the advice, will google this compression cone thing - whether it's seated - don't know what that means....