Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle for regular shorts, touring

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 04:11 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

B17 or C17?
Old 10-23-19, 04:59 PM
I.B.Roots
Bike Noob

Bikes: Kona, Salsa(s)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Hmm....which I knew. I have (2) B17s but my bike shop loves C17s...

I've been thinking about getting a Cambian - keep us posted!
Old 10-24-19, 09:48 PM
cecu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Is the choice between those 2 only?
I ride with regular shorts and use a Selle San Marco Regal and have had no issues so far.
Old 10-24-19, 10:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Serfas Tailbones or any comparable saddle with Lycra fabric stretched over progressive density foam.

They ain't sexy. Your roadie buds will probably make fun of you. But they sure are comfy wearing regular undies and shorts or jeans. The saddle does the same thing as padded Lycra/Spandex shorts/bibs. Wicks sweat, minimizes saddle sores, etc.

I used an older Bell branded saddle on my Univega for a couple of years, and a Terry saddle shaped like a short-nosed Turbo on my '89 steel road bike for a year. Both have Lycra over foam.

Only reason I switched to other saddles was because I changed the fit on both bikes, so the original widths were no longer appropriate for my narrow sit bones. The Bell saddle is pretty wide and it's now on my upright comfort hybrid/errand bike.

I've switched the Univega from flat and riser handlebars an inch or so above saddle height to Nitto albatross bar an inch or so below saddle height. So I needed a narrower saddle -- now it wears an old Selle San Marco racing saddle with split rear, minimal padding but flexible shell. Suits me in the current configuration.

The Terry saddle didn't suit me well for a couple of reasons. For one thing, I've never gotten along well with Turbo style saddles. I prefer flat saddles with no skirts, no upward flare at the rear. And the Terry was a women's saddle with a short nose. I often slide forward onto the nose for sprints, interval sessions and some climbs. So I switched to Selle Italia's current style saddles.

I'm still looking for a narrower, flatter saddle with Lycra over progressive density foam for my Univega. Not many choices out there now so I may need to scrounge around the used bins until something shows up. Too bad it's considered unfashionable because they sure are comfortable and practical for commuting, errands and wearing casual clothes.

Otherwise, my friends who ride Brooks Cambium like 'em, even when they're wearing casual clothes, no padded shorts. Ditto folks who ride Selle Anatomica.
Old 10-25-19, 04:39 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
With regular running shorts I like Selle Italia's "genuine gel" saddles, especially the XO
Old 10-26-19, 02:10 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Of the two, I would go with the C17, for weatherproofness. When touring, or travelling in general, I always take my C15.
Old 10-26-19, 02:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
They fit the same but are very different saddles. I've have multiple of both.

C17 is what I prefer for look and maintenance.