Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame Painting Advice

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Frame Painting Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 02:23 AM
stephend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame Painting Advice

Hi All,

Just a quick few questions on Frame painting. I'm painting a bike using rattle cans... not ideal but so far so good. I'm up to the primer after several layers of primer and filler primer. I'm about to do the colour coat but I'm wondering about the following...

Do I need to sand between coats?

Should I sand the final coat before I put on the clear? I've heard the you should sand it enough to take the shine off but then the clear puts its own shine back on... is this true?

How long should I wait before putting the clear on?

And finally! Should I put the decals on immediately after painting, or just before I put the clear on?

Apologies for all the questions... I'm new at this.

Thanks!

Stephen
Old 03-30-10, 03:44 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
This is an article on painting a bicycle with a paint brush(don't laugh - I do this frequently with excellent results and it is really cheap!). The steps all work well for spray painting with one exception. When painting with a brush, one does not have to worry about over-spray.

Painting Bicycles - Introduction

Hope this is a help.
Old 03-30-10, 05:23 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
It depends on the particular paint you are using. Follow the intructions on the can. The acrylic enamel I'm using requires that you apply the next coat within one hour or wait one week and then sand and spray. The clearcoat goes on within one hour, too. I'm doing three coats of color and then three coats of clear. The decals go under the clear. You want warm weather and low humidity for spraying, especially when spraying clear. I painted the fork on Saturday, and was going to paint the frame Sunday, but the weather changed and spoiled my plans.
Old 03-30-10, 08:09 AM
stephend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. The instructions for the specific spay cans I'm using says that I should wait two whole weeks for the colour to harden.. but doesn't say anything about using a clear coat. The clear coat also says it needs two weeks to fully dry. I'm assuming I don't need to wait the full drying time for the colour coat if I intend to use a clear coat. Is this correct?

My main concern is by leaving too much time between the colour coat and the clear coat that the clear won't bond properly or the finish will be affected....

Last edited by stephend; 03-30-10 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-30-10, 08:28 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
You're correct on the clear, treat it just as if you were applying another color coat, so within one hour or the time specified.

And to speed up drying/hardening times, I just did a little dupli-color matching/ partial respray myself this weekend on a frame. I use a quartz ceramic space heater about 6-12 inches from the frame for about 20 minutes. I'll still probably wait a week before I do anything, but if you don't force-dry, a month wait is best.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 03-30-10, 08:53 AM
stephend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And finally!

Is it completely necessarily to sand the colour coat before applying the clear? If I left the colour coat with the gloss intact with it radically affect the finish on the clear or is that simply a case of best practice? I ask because if I'm only waiting an hour or so before I apply the clear will the colour coat be dry and hard enough to wet sand without making a mess of it?

Thanks for the replies everyone

Stephen
Old 03-30-10, 08:55 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Didn't we make ourselves clear?
Old 03-30-10, 09:43 AM
stephend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, just double checking as I don't want to screw it up...!
Old 03-30-10, 11:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I book-marked your article, Randy. Thanks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-31-10, 11:11 AM
RhodeRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the article that randyjawa posted is pretty thorough. I'm definitely considering painting my next bike by brush. One question: what type of paint should be used? He mentioned rustoleum etc. but what type of paint? acrylic? latex? something else?
Old 03-31-10, 01:27 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Tremclad or plastic based rust preventing...

Sorry I forgot to put that information in the article on painting with a brush. Here is a name brand product, Tremclad, that I used for the Peugeot. The process does take a bit of practice but you can do a pretty good job if you take your time.

I try to use a plastic based rust preventing paint primer and color coat. The results are not bad and certainly good enough for the likes of me. I might add, that for those of you who do want to spray, Krylon spray bombs work just great also... Third place in the cheapo contest was painted with a Krylon spray bomb. Messy and expensive when compared to brush, but faster and looks pretty good.

Hope this is a help.

Legnano_Consv_Forks_1.jpg
Old 04-02-10, 01:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Hmm. Tremclad is available in Canada but not the US. Perhaps they use a different name here.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-02-10, 01:57 PM
randyjawa 

I have used Krylon with great success also. Both in brush on and spray bomb. Have a look here....

My Legnano, third place in the cheapo contest, was painted with Indoor/Outdoor Krylon but I used a spray bomb for that job. I doubt I will use spray again. Too messy and four times the cost.