Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tube and tire storage for long ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 08:43 AM
gapeeples

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone. I'm doing an Ironman in 2 weeks. I'm trying carry 2 tubes and 1 tire, but looking for some advice. Is that a good number for each or what do you recommend? Also, where I could store this stuff during the race? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-10, 09:01 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
2 tubes & tire levers in a small saddle bag. Most people don't carry a tire, just a tire boot in case a cut needs to be covered. Don't forget CO2 or a pump.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-15-10, 09:34 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
You really don't need to carry a spare tire, as Homebrew says a tire boot is sufficient. Personally, I'd carry one tube, a patch kit and a boot. You can get a PArk Tools boot, or just cut a 2" ssection from an old tire. That will fix 99.5% of flats/ tire cuts.

If you want to carry a spare tire, 2 ways, just fold it and put it under the seat with a strap, or use one of these https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...1635.53.0.html

Designed really for carying a spare tubular, but it will work for your purpose as well.

and the tri guy organizers need to learn of this great new invention called a wheel truck.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-15-10, 09:50 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ipretty much agree that you don't need a spare tire, but it does depend a little on the course. One ride locally goes through a stretch of desert where I've had as many as six thorn punctures in 15 miles.
Tubes are easy. Just stick them in a suitable bag and strap 'em on, or put them in a jersey pocket. A folding tire in the 23mm size most cyclists use (too small for most people, BTW, but I'll save that rant for another day) doesn't take up much more space than a tube. You can secure it between the seat tube and chainstays or anywhere else you want with an old toe strap or, since nobody younger than about 45 HAS old toe straps, a piece of twine, wrap of tape, whatever.
Even a steel-bead (non-folding) tire can be folded into a surprisingly small package. I don't use folders much because they're hard to find in larger sizes, but I can fit a 700x35 into a medium seat bag. The process is sort of hard to describe, but if you hold the tire in two hands, horizontally, in front of you with your palms up, then rotate your hands inward, the tire will fold into a tri-lobed format like one of those collapsible sunscreens for windshields. Tie it in that mode and secure it where it fits.
Old 07-15-10, 09:52 AM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would just carry two tubes, two co2, and some levers. Don't worry about a tire, however you may want to consider carrying a tire boot. Cutting up an old piece of tire works, and someone actually had to do that last Thursday on our group ride.
Old 07-15-10, 10:04 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gapeeples
Hey everyone. I'm doing an Ironman in 2 weeks. I'm trying carry 2 tubes and 1 tire, but looking for some advice. Is that a good number for each or what do you recommend? Also, where I could store this stuff during the race? Thanks in advance!

Alot of the tri folks out here seem to like these bottle launchers: https://www.all3sports.com/product_in...=hydrotail-h5c

I'm surprised you haven't solved this problem already. Doesn't it take a fair amount of training on the bike to do an IM?
Old 07-15-10, 10:06 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Ipretty much agree that you don't need a spare tire, but it does depend a little on the course. One ride locally goes through a stretch of desert where I've had as many as six thorn punctures in 15 miles.
That would argue perhaps for carrying 6 tubes, but having a spare tire wouldn't have changed that.

All that carrying a spare tire will help you with is a truly catastrophic tire failure, i.e. the tire literally cut in 2, a sidewall blowout along the bead 6 inches long. Virtually anything short of that is bootable. A failure like that is not going to be bootable. However the odds of such a failure, are pretty low. So it comes down to how risk adverse you are.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-15-10, 11:49 AM
gapeeples

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. Good advice.
Old 07-15-10, 12:31 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott

I'm surprised you haven't solved this problem already. Doesn't it take a fair amount of training on the bike to do an IM?
this was my first thought.

and i agree with the rest that a spare tire is generally not necessary. changing to a new tire before race day might be a good idea though, so you have the max amount of rubber between you and the road.
Old 07-15-10, 01:09 PM
gapeeples

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Alot of the tri folks out here seem to like these bottle launchers: https://www.all3sports.com/product_in...=hydrotail-h5c

I know right. You would think. But of all the 20 hour weeks i did, I never carried more then 1 tube. Usually with a group too. So I thought I would ask you guys.
Old 07-15-10, 03:34 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If you only carry 1 tube, you might want to try putting some air in it before going - I've had my "new" tube turn out to be defective before and not hold air. :-(
Old 07-15-10, 03:48 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gapeeples
I know right. You would think. But of all the 20 hour weeks i did, I never carried more then 1 tube. Usually with a group too. So I thought I would ask you guys.
So there's no wheel support for competitors (neutral or otherwise) on race day? I would assume then the point of carrying tubes/C02 is to be able to complete the ride. Is that correct?

But I would imagine that for IM, you could flat and still do pretty well if you can fix it quickly. It might be worthwhile to practice quick tube changes. If you don't really know, get somebody to show you, and practice with Co2 a few times before the race.

And I'd take two tubes and two-three Co2 cartridges, just in case...