Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

increasing gearing in the top gear

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-10, 07:07 AM
paverman4u

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since one of the things ebikes do is enable you to get a faster top speed, I've found that it's MUCH easier to reach and sustain the top gearing for my bike. I've hit the mid 30s mph on a flat using both battery plus human power. It did feel like I could've gone faster if I had a better gear ratio though which is why I'm posting this.

In other words since the battery was boosting me through the first 25 mph, I felt as though ***IF**** I had the proper gearing that I had enough human power get my bike up and over 40mph since maintaining 35 was not too difficult. Has anyone here with an ebike ever had their top gear modified so that they could get to and sustain a higher max speed (with human assist, of course)? Any tips as far as this goes?

BTW - One reason I need this is for safety, because there's a stretch of road here in my city where **if/when I can get a head start while cars wait at a red light***, then I can stay ahead of this pack for a good 3 miles. I can only do this if my speed is fast enough to retain that head start. As it is now I sustain about 25-32mph for this stretch, but they catch up to me at the end of it. If get a faster speed going (vis a vis better gearing) then I can pretty much keep ahead of them for the entire stretch. The alternative is hobbling along at 1/4 the speed through the same stretch of road on a textured, bumpy side walk with runners/walkers/etc.

Anyway - since our ebikes let us go faster before requiring human power, I can't help but think someone here at some point has increased the gearing in their top gear?
Old 08-29-10, 09:20 AM
paverman4u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well here it is - interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx9zN...eature=related

I suppose this chap is changing the casette out with a cassette of the same size. Any e-bikers actually change the gearing to a higher gear for my reasons (ie. to get a faster top speed with human assist)? I'm thinking it might make more sense to have the FRONT gears changed out instead of the rear gears. Of course, I'll freely admit I know very little about this, hence the question.
Old 08-30-10, 07:33 AM
Rin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Higher gears

There is a discussion of this topic on endless-sphere which might be helpful to you. You don't say what your present gears are and the type of bike.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...hp?f=3&t=17156
Old 09-03-10, 11:43 AM
crimsonsnake0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the best gear combo you could really get would be a 53 or 54 tooth front ring and a 12 tooth rear cassette that would be okay for up to 35mph plus. cheers
Old 09-07-10, 11:27 AM
A2BMetro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too have the same thoughts as the OP's.

I can easily pedal 25mph, but then the gearing is causing my legs to go faster than is really comfortable..

I am planning on upgrading the front chain ring for one with more teeth.
Old 09-07-10, 12:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Schlumpf high speed drive 2 speed cranks, multiplies what ever chain ring is attached to it by 2.5 ..

overdrive is a planetary gear.. in the crank spider. its not attached to the crank arm so rotates chain ring
at a different rate than pedals ..
Old 09-07-10, 02:20 PM
A2BMetro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Schlumpf high speed drive 2 speed cranks, multiplies what ever chain ring is attached to it by 2.5 ..

overdrive is a planetary gear.. in the crank spider. its not attached to the crank arm so rotates chain ring
at a different rate than pedals ..
Can't find these available anywhere in the UK, any ideas?

**edit**

Just found a supplier... This is very expensive really, and requires the bottom bracket to be machined. Doesn't seem like a very viable option.

Still think im gonna opt for swapping out the chain ring for a larger one.

Engineering wise I really like though. How reliable is the system. How much loading are the little planatary gears have to put up too? @ £450 for a crankset I would expect that to last a life time.

Last edited by A2BMetro; 09-07-10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-07-10, 06:31 PM
paverman4u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Apparently the place where I bought my bike actually sells 50-tooth cranksets,

https://epluselectricbike.com/buy-bik...tempo-crankset

and I'm glad to see based on the replies here that I'm not the only one encountering this desire/need to kick up the pace a notch (when it's safe to do so). I posted in another forum, and another poster gave me this Sheldon Brown link which seems like it'd be amazingly useful for planning out your gearing:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

If/when I do this, I'll probably buy the gear and have a pro put it on.