Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Painting

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 03:00 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Painting

Not sure if this would do better here or in the vintage section - feel free to move it where it needs to be, mr. mod.

Also, google is of little help here, as is the bf search function.

I painted an old lugged steel roadie a while back, with oil based enamel from Rustoleum. It is my commuter, but I'm building a new commuter and converting the old steelie to fixed gear. What I want to do is this: mix .004 metal flake into a clear coat that is compatible with the oil based Rusto, and hand paint it just like I did with the base.

I want to pursue this route so that I don't have to repaint the entire bicycle. I know experienced painters will get on here and tell me "oil based enamel does not need a base coat for x, y, and z technical reasons" and "just repaint the bicycle" and "just paint it with a metallic clear coat" and "that is stupid" and blah blah.

This is what I am doing, and I would specifically like to know what clear coat will not ruin the base that's already on the bike. The only real painting experience I have is when I hand painted the bicycle to begin with. Should I use poly? Acrylic? Rusto doesn't make a clear coat (that I can find) without flake already in it, which I guess I can do if there are no other options.

Many thanks.
Old 06-02-13, 07:08 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just went to Google and typed "clear coat bicycle frame site:bikeforums.net" and saw a number of useful threads on clear coating a bicycle.
Old 06-02-13, 08:39 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I just went to Google and typed "clear coat bicycle frame site:bikeforums.net" and saw a number of useful threads on clear coating a bicycle.
Thanks for not reading the post - I am not looking for any answer other than what I asked for. You successfully found a bunch of posts that don't tell me what clear coat/top coat is compatible with the oil based enamel I used. I need something that will not alter the components of the paint already there.
Old 06-02-13, 10:41 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Why don't you have an auto body shop do the clear coat for you? There's will have hardeners in it providing a much more durable finish.

Can clear coat has little or no hardeners - in no time at all - you'll have spider web cracking throughout or in patches.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 06-03-13, 07:43 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Rustoleum makes a clear coat and if you don't want to run into problems that is what I would use. Not sure how easy it is to find but it exists. Anything else and you have a chance of the clear coat lifting and ruining the paint that is on the bike now. Roger
Old 06-03-13, 08:05 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
I painted an old lugged steel roadie a while back, with oil based enamel from Rustoleum. It is my commuter, but I'm building a new commuter and converting the old steelie to fixed gear. What I want to do is this: mix .004 metal flake into a clear coat that is compatible with the oil based Rusto, and hand paint it just like I did with the base.

This is what I am doing, and I would specifically like to know what clear coat will not ruin the base that's already on the bike. The only real painting experience I have is when I hand painted the bicycle to begin with. Should I use poly? Acrylic? Rusto doesn't make a clear coat (that I can find) without flake already in it, which I guess I can do if there are no other options.
OK, it sounds to me like you don't want to put a ton of money into this frame so any kind of professional finish is a non-starter. I like that. If it was my bike, the first thing that I would do would be to try to find clear Rustoleum to mix my flake into. If I couldn't find that, I'd choose any other brand of clear enamel.

Frankly, either way my guess is you have a less than 50% chance of getting the result that you want. Again, if it was my bike I'd be OK with that. I'd rather experiment and do it myself and learn through the process. The worst thing that could possibly happen is you'll have to strip it and do it over. You've already done that once so you know what that entails.
Old 06-03-13, 08:21 AM
openmxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agree it.If I couldn't find that, I'd choose any other brand of clear enamel.
Old 06-03-13, 09:15 AM
reddog3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any clear that is NOT lacquer will go over your base coat without problems, but adherence may or may not be an issue. You said "paint by hand"- as in using a brush? Good luck getting the "flake" to go on evenly.