Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

helmet/glasses mirror recommendation?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 01:36 PM
floatsinwater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, I was wondering what kind of mirrors you guys use for your commute. I ride a road bike to work.

I've tried the Third Eye Bar End mirror but the thing kept rattling off and it didn't really fit my bars no matter how much I tightened the nut.

I've also tried the Bike Peddler Take A Look Compact mirror. It works OK, but I need to be completely upright to see what I want to see. When I'm riding on the hoods (normally), 1/3-1/2 of tiny mirror is blocked by my shoulder... If I move the mirror then I see 45 degrees behind me, which isn't really that useful.

Do any roadie commuters have any suggestions?
Old 09-26-13, 02:20 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have Third Eye helmet-mounted mirrors on my commuter and road helmets as well as a glasses-mounted Third Eye mirror on my MTB sunglases (I use Goop to attach to helmet and to glasses). It takes some experimentation to determin the best position for the mirror and best technique for getting maximum field of vision in each riding position.
Old 09-26-13, 03:24 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by floatsinwater
I commute on a Specialized S-works. I always wear two Take-a-Look mirrors on my eyglasses which I absolutely need to wear anyways. I've posted a few times about the utility of two mirrors, but even with only one, IMO Take-a-Look is the best. I've tried handlebar and helmet mirrors, but I always seem to knock them off.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror. The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:
  • Riding on the left-hand side of a one-way street
  • Riding in the middle or left lanes of a two-way thoroughfare
  • In a rotary
  • On a curved road to the right
  • When the sun is directly behind, usually one mirror can be positioned away from the glare of the sun.
My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”

One other situation where hearing is ineffective, even on rural roads, occurs when being passed by one car, and I'm never sure that another one is following the first. No problem with a mirror.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-26-13 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-26-13, 03:36 PM
Bill Fold

Bikes: Montague MX, Brompton S6L, Origami Crane, Dahon S1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a Take a Look mirror attached to my sunglasses. I sometimes attach the mirror to my helmet visor instead. They are well made and have a wide range of adjustment.
Old 09-26-13, 04:32 PM
floatsinwater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you guys have the Take a Look Original or the Compact? I have the compact version and the mirror is 17 by 37 mm.
Old 09-26-13, 07:48 PM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a Take-A-Look as well, and have found it reliable.

I've bent my mirror hand to a shape that avoids my shoulder and lets me see straight behind.
Old 09-26-13, 10:14 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take-a-look gives a good, steady image. Maybe try the regular sized one and bend it if necessary? They're about $12, so it might be worth a try. I ride more upright than you, so I can't give a direct comparison to your approach.

On the couple of times I have forgot my glasses with the Take-A-Look attached, I quickly realize how much I miss them and how great they are. Sometimes when walking, I unconsciously look up and to the left, as if I still had them on, to check behind me.
Old 09-26-13, 10:22 PM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another for the Take a look. I won't ride on a road without it anymore. Best thing was riding in virginia and colorado around some of the passes with bendy narrow roads and being able to turn your head while climbing and peer back to see if cars were coming.... because sometimes people drive the dreaded prius! or worse! Leaf!
Old 09-27-13, 11:20 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by floatsinwater
Hi guys, I was wondering what kind of mirrors you guys use for your commute. I ride a road bike to work.

I've tried the Third Eye Bar End mirror but the thing kept rattling off and it didn't really fit my bars no matter how much I tightened the nut.

I've also tried the Bike Peddler Take A Look Compact mirror. It works OK, but I need to be completely upright to see what I want to see. When I'm riding on the hoods (normally), 1/3-1/2 of tiny mirror is blocked by my shoulder... If I move the mirror then I see 45 degrees behind me, which isn't really that useful.

well, yeah sometimes there is a problem with your shoulder... of course, I set up my mirror to so that I turn my head slightly to the left and it give me a great view of the road (this is kind of a hybrid approach between not wearing a mirror and requiring a deep head turn compared to no head turn for some mirrors, I suppose...

it gives you the benefit of the head moving a bit, (still much easier and IMHO safer) giving the driver some idea that you are going to do some maneuver (a la Robert hurst, art of urban cycling)...
Old 09-27-13, 11:23 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
oops forgot to say what model: third eye... I prefer this as it is round plastic and the joint can pop apart, I didn't like the idea of having a square sharp feeling mirror on a wire near my eye...
Old 09-27-13, 03:33 PM
reshp1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Take-A-Look ones too, they're great.
Old 09-27-13, 03:36 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Take a Look glasses mount mirror. I used it for about 2 days and found it was too distracting to me. Now I just turn my head like I always have. It works
Old 09-27-13, 05:54 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
Now I just turn my head like I always have. It works
Too easy, and eliminates an excuse to buy something.

But......it's the only sure way to not die.
Old 09-27-13, 06:51 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Cycleaware Reflex.

I used to use Take-A-Look but then I wiped out on a patch of sand. The gouges that the Take-A-Look made on my face took 18 stitches to close.

The reflex is all gumby wire and plastic around the mirror, much safer. After the accident and I thought about it, it's actually kind of terrifying that the Take-A-Look has very stiff wire and brass tubing right up by your face and eye.