Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The difference between footballers and cyclists.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 11:06 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

Just saw this on an Idaho Cycling club web site, (strongly considering retirement in Idaho - have ancestral roots there).

Last edited by volosong; 07-23-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 02:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
Not sure why, but I like it.
Old 07-25-14, 03:26 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Footballer is looking for a foul. Cyclist looking to keep going. That's the difference.
Old 07-25-14, 03:31 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Luv it

I'm on the northern Idaho border. Love the scenery up here. Some occasional snow in the winter. Lots of cool biking trails for the season though. Good hunting.....Elk if you can find 'em. Don't tell the locals you're from SoCal .
Old 07-25-14, 04:57 PM
KatzPajamas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know that's right!
Old 07-25-14, 06:19 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Uh, how many footballers here? After a bad tackle for a few seconds you really are convinced that the worst has happened and you've got a compound fracture of the tibia. There were times I did't even want to look at my hands for fear of how much blood I'd see. Luckily the pain is very intense but short lived.

Still, too many times I played hurt, stupid stupid stupid. At my age mean time to recover finally got too long. Miss it.

(As for the diving, it is a yellow card, just hard for a ref to make the call. The light on the feet players do get a rep and often don't get benefit of the doubt when they are legitimately fouled, so there is some karma that casual fans don't notice.)

In both professional sports, irresponsible medical staff send competitors along who should NOT continue.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-25-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 09:02 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
The image is misinterpreted. It's not about toughness or lack there of in the case of footballer. It's about cheating the system. For the cyclist it's doping. Although I'm sure there's plenty of doping footballers as well. Never played at high enough level to witness that, but plenty of jersey pulling, tripping, and intentional handballs. I'm sure competitive cyclists have the equivalents of those offenses as well. The two are not so different.
Old 07-25-14, 09:13 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I dislike soccer as much as the next guy, but ya gotta admit it's on the refs not to call it.....or give out cards for flopping like in the NBA.
Old 07-26-14, 11:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Incentives Differ ... as the rules are different ... Cycling doesn't have the Ref awarding free penalty shots on Goal..

so Cyclists dont 'take a Dive'
Old 07-26-14, 01:16 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
The image is misinterpreted. It's not about toughness or lack there of in the case of footballer. It's about cheating the system. For the cyclist it's doping. Although I'm sure there's plenty of doping footballers as well. Never played at high enough level to witness that, but plenty of jersey pulling, tripping, and intentional handballs. I'm sure competitive cyclists have the equivalents of those offenses as well. The two are not so different.
To a first approximation, there are no doping footballers. (Bad meat can plausibly take out a team.) The few positives are for PDDs.

And to a first approximation, there are three types of cyclists in Le Tour. Those who have been caught, and those who are yet to be caught. (Bad meat? GMAFB!) (Domestiques don't have to dope, they have to carry water. And have "asthma." And test what cocktail of low dose *erols don't test positive with current testing.)

Again, to a first approximation, Weight lifting, T&F, Swimming, Cycling, Baseball (ben berry berry gud to me) and American Football are where PEDs show up consistently. (Non performance enhancing but widely abused add in body building, "professional" wrestling, and bikini modelling. OK, the last one was Roger throwing his wife under the bus - on Valentine's Day no less. Frosty day in the Clemen's house in Texas.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-26-14 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-26-14, 01:48 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Soccer is my main and favorite sport and even I get upset at some of the diving. But as a long time coach and player, I have no qualm about telling my players that if an opponent is dumb enough to grab you or step on your instep, go for the Oscar. Cycling is now my #1 participation sport, but like the American version of football which I played for years, I can't bring myself to watch it for more than a few minutes.
Old 07-27-14, 07:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Most punters are some of the greatest actors on the face of the earth, if any opponent comes within 10 yards of them.