Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your custom made stickers

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-18-20, 01:44 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts

Here is mine , originally Bianchi had a block letter sticker with no graphics . In Italian alloro means wreath .
IMG_0336 by mark westi, on Flickr
Likes For markwesti:
Old 05-18-20, 02:10 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
Fun build a few years back with a surplus frame..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tyler.Fred 11.06.16 downtown2.jpg (349.6 KB, 285 views)
Tyler.Fred 11.06.16 downtown3.jpg (216.7 KB, 290 views)
IMG_3352.jpg (1.40 MB, 288 views)
Old 05-18-20, 02:34 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Dot Dot Smile

My son and I play "Dot Dot Smile" on my phone...

Planning to get his drawing made into a vinyl sticker for my hatchback.

He's six.

Likes For chainwhip:
Old 05-18-20, 08:14 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
See my avatar. Custom made, but not for me. I worked IT for Blue Cross just out of school and they were doing a rollout of about 1/3 of their desktop machines and many of the old ones had been in use during the arrival of the millennium which, you might recall, was a time of some consternation about technology's ability to withstand the arrival of the year 2000. These Y2K COMPLIANT stickers verified the machine had been verified prepped for the big day. I figured an old Raleigh Sports still in use at the time deserved one.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-18-20, 09:54 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
Does it have to be for a bike? I made one for my stitch and glue kayak. It's actually under the gf epoxy. If any of you are looking for a SIP project this kayak was one of the funnest things I've ever worked on. Model is a Pinguino Sport by Pygmy Boats.

Likes For 73StellaSX76:
Old 05-19-20, 06:53 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Old 05-19-20, 10:08 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
It looks like I'm the only one gaudy enough to make use of these nicely done Bike Forum stickers made by speedevil . They're good for hiding dings and bad scratches. This is my 3rd bike placement on the fairly recently acquired '89 Le Tour. I guess by '89 the industry had to lawyer up and put warning stickers on all bikes to wear helmets. Along with that unsightly warning label was a pretty bad scratch. My slightly off-color champagne touch up paint picks up where the sticker leaves off.

I like these, and they've led to several conversations about what exactly is BikeForums, Thanks again Dale !
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 05-19-20, 10:13 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
i love this! where did this come from?
Old 05-19-20, 11:08 AM
tyler_fred

This seems easy enough to follow.. unless of course, one must occasionally glance at the road ahead...

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Old 05-19-20, 11:16 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 137 Posts
How does one make or acquire custom stickers? I've inkjet printed onto sticky label paper and covered in clear packing tape, but I'm guessing there are much better ways?
Likes For sced:
Old 05-19-20, 04:12 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
i love this! where did this come from?
The brilliance of Ed Roth
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 05-19-20, 05:20 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 208 Posts
great! found it and on order.. awesome-amundo!
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 05-19-20, 10:35 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
I have made the artwork part of several sets of stickers (thin PSA vinyl) and decals (waterslide) but always had somebody else do the printing. The waterslides are just now being applied to my old early gen Ciocc San Cristobal that was almost certainly built when Giovanni Pelizzoli owned the name and the shop. I'll have some pix in a week or so, I'm taking my time as this is my "pandemic" home project. I tried printing my files for the Ciocc decals on "decal stock" in an inkjet printer but the colors were weak. So after some shopping around found a guy in Michigan with an ALPS printer that is "what the pros use" for opaque solid ink decals. Before these Ciocc I made art for a Merlin set (Bob Jackson era) and an Allegro (Swiss) set, both of which were printed on vinyl by JR Anderson of Velocals (fame and infamy!). Pix to come later...
Oh and clear cover? Yes but no, never resort to clear packing tape, it's not that hard to spray a clear coat! The delicate decals require protection, vinyl don't HAVE to be coated but it can ceratinly help. Trick to it: do a test first with some leftovers. Sometimes your clear will melt the precious decals you spent money and TIME to get "just so". It's a heartbreaker! Something like Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic spray is often a "safe go-to", but NOTHING is safe until you've tested and proved it. Always do a very thin "mist-coat" first and let that set before you add on more to build up (again use many thin coats or you risk runs! ) BTDT

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-19-20 at 10:47 PM.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-19-20, 10:53 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by tyler_fred
Fun build a few years back with a surplus frame..
You are my freakin' hero. Awesome job.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-19-20, 11:00 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
My customs are a joke - literally. My VeloCheapo Fake Legnano required some adornment so I went all out and opened MacPaint to make some decals, based on the original (photo 2)

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 05-20-20, 01:41 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
Stickers / stencils on my current build so far.

Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 05-20-20, 05:52 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 260 Posts
Did this for my '85, for some reason the PO had removed this and the seat tube decals. Finding a decent photo of one was a bear, I had some assistance from forum members on that. I'd never previously worked with vector graphics and put way more time into that than was sane but I felt good about the result. This is die-cut vinyl and I have more if anyone ever finds themselves in need.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 05-20-20 at 05:56 AM.
Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 05-20-20, 07:55 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I have made the artwork part of several sets of stickers (thin PSA vinyl) and decals (waterslide) but always had somebody else do the printing. The waterslides are just now being applied to my old early gen Ciocc San Cristobal that was almost certainly built when Giovanni Pelizzoli owned the name and the shop. I'll have some pix in a week or so, I'm taking my time as this is my "pandemic" home project. I tried printing my files for the Ciocc decals on "decal stock" in an inkjet printer but the colors were weak. So after some shopping around found a guy in Michigan with an ALPS printer that is "what the pros use" for opaque solid ink decals. Before these Ciocc I made art for a Merlin set (Bob Jackson era) and an Allegro (Swiss) set, both of which were printed on vinyl by JR Anderson of Velocals (fame and infamy!). Pix to come later...
Oh and clear cover? Yes but no, never resort to clear packing tape, it's not that hard to spray a clear coat! The delicate decals require protection, vinyl don't HAVE to be coated but it can ceratinly help. Trick to it: do a test first with some leftovers. Sometimes your clear will melt the precious decals you spent money and TIME to get "just so". It's a heartbreaker! Something like Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic spray is often a "safe go-to", but NOTHING is safe until you've tested and proved it. Always do a very thin "mist-coat" first and let that set before you add on more to build up (again use many thin coats or you risk runs! ) BTDT
Thankyou! I also tried clear injet "decal stock" with clear coat ~10 years ago and each of several attempts failed when wetted to remove the backing. There was always some bleeding under the clear. I ended up using Velocals (excellent) too but I'm wondering if decent newer DIY tech is out there. The packing tape thing worked well for me when for a small application when I covered up the original owner's name on a custom with my own. Also, is there a "Show Your Ciocc Here" kind-of C&V thread?...couldn't find one.
Old 05-20-20, 08:35 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Made with my home printer on "decal stock". Back in the days before it was easy to find decals for the DIY'r.
Fortunately I did have some good jpegs to work from - no vector file to have to play with. The firm that sent me the sample pics decided to quit the bike business before I got my order placed.

Don't have a good shot of the headtube Gitane graphic.

I also made up some fun decals for an unknown maker frame I turned into a single speed. Pictures are lost, though. MEOD ST decal and 12-21-12 DT decals, along with a HT Baktun, for the Mayan End of Days.

Last edited by Ex Pres; 05-20-20 at 08:38 AM.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 05-20-20, 09:25 AM
tyler_fred

Man! That Peloton is pristine..

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Did this for my '85, for some reason the PO had removed this and the seat tube decals. Finding a decent photo of one was a bear, I had some assistance from forum members on that. I'd never previously worked with vector graphics and put way more time into that than was sane but I felt good about the result. This is die-cut vinyl and I have more if anyone ever finds themselves in need.

Old 05-20-20, 09:55 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Following up, here are some pix of the actual stickers made by Velocal for Merlin and Allegro, plus some pix as-installed on the frames, both these were home-sprays by me (varying quality and time will tell how they hold up, and the Merlin was sold) plus maybe a pic of the Ciocc waterslide set (but not any applied to frame pix, yet)

Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-20-20, 10:34 AM
tyler_fred

Does anyone recall the lime green metallic Colnago with yellow font decals that was a build project on C&V a few years back? The OP built the bike with a mix of components that he deemed the best fit for his needs. If I recall correctly, he made his own decals from waterslide paper, and went so far as to make a label that resembled a lager beer logo for his stainless water bottles. It was a beautiful bike and I can't seem to find the C&V thread; otherwise I would link it here...argh..
Old 05-20-20, 10:42 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
rhm , I know you have some beautiful work to show here. Rudy also had a very clever DIY packaging tape decal method that I have used. I though of you Rudy when I saw a new version of Corel draw has been released.

tyler_fred Very impressive work! Care to share some insight into your process?
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 05-20-20, 10:51 AM
tyler_fred

mkeller234,
I drew my decals in Inkscape and sent the files to a local sign company to print on 2 or 3mil vinyl.
Likes For tyler_fred:
Old 05-20-20, 08:57 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
How does one make or acquire custom stickers? I've inkjet printed onto sticky label paper and covered in clear packing tape, but I'm guessing there are much better ways?
Mine , I went to a banner making shop . They had some pretty impressive machines , What I did was to down load the wreathe image and hand draw the Alloro and explain it to the graphic guy , he nailed it . Cost me $50 .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.