Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Mounting holes!!!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Mounting holes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 02:59 PM
flocons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mounting holes!!!

Hi Everyone! I just picked up a Norco Indie3 Hybrid / Commuter Step-thru for my wife to do some riding, and wanted some advice on a rear fender rack or alternative advice. I installed a bottle mount along the lower bar, but also wanted to install a U-Lock style lock. Because of the step-thru design of the frame, the U-Lock won't fit, as there is not enough clearance. There are also no other mounting holes on the frame to install the lock anywhere else.

The most obvious alternative I could think of would be to install a rack (She wants one anyway), and somehow mount the lock onto the rack. Does anyone know of a type of rear mounting rack that has some standard mounting holes?

Does anyone have any other creative way of dealing with this, as I would love to hear it - I'd be forever in your debt, as this will avoid me having to ride with a backpack (with her lock inside)!
Old 05-26-21, 03:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
You should at least have lower rack mounting points, on the frame near the rear axle. As for the upper rack mount, you can use p-clamps or a seat post clamp that's designed to accept rack mounting struts. Either is doable, and I actually have bikes with both types of rack mounting workarounds. Both work well if the dimensions work out.
Old 05-26-21, 03:14 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by flocons
Hi Everyone! I just picked up a Norco Indie3 Hybrid / Commuter Step-thru for my wife to do some riding, and wanted some advice on a rear fender rack or alternative advice. I installed a bottle mount along the lower bar, but also wanted to install a U-Lock style lock. Because of the step-thru design of the frame, the U-Lock won't fit, as there is not enough clearance. There are also no other mounting holes on the frame to install the lock anywhere else.

The most obvious alternative I could think of would be to install a rack (She wants one anyway), and somehow mount the lock onto the rack. Does anyone know of a type of rear mounting rack that has some standard mounting holes?

Does anyone have any other creative way of dealing with this, as I would love to hear it - I'd be forever in your debt, as this will avoid me having to ride with a backpack (with her lock inside)!
I just went through this with my son's new Norco Indie 3. You can actually ask Norco direct questions through their website. This is the response I received.

We actually ended up going with their standard 'Journey' rack (https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...racks/journey/) and it fits great.
Old 05-26-21, 03:18 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’m not sure I understand your question.
U-locks tend to come with a holder where one end wraps around a frame tube and is clamped there, while the other is shaped in a manner that allows the lock to slot in and be secured.
I don’t know think I’ve ever seen a U-lock holder meant to utilize any holes or eyelets set into the frame.
The U-locks and holders I’m familiar with can in a pinch be attached to the fork, or with some effort, to the seat stay, if the main triangle isn’t available.
There are locks meant to be ”permanently” attached to the frame. But these mount up by the brake bridge and shouldn’t pose a challenge for a step-thru frame.
Old 05-26-21, 03:20 PM
flocons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you - I'll have a look at both your suggestions!

Larry
Old 05-26-21, 03:34 PM
flocons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I’m not sure I understand your question.
U-locks tend to come with a holder where one end wraps around a frame tube and is clamped there, while the other is shaped in a manner that allows the lock to slot in and be secured.
I don’t know think I’ve ever seen a U-lock holder meant to utilize any holes or eyelets set into the frame.
The U-locks and holders I’m familiar with can in a pinch be attached to the fork, or with some effort, to the seat stay, if the main triangle isn’t available.
There are locks meant to be ”permanently” attached to the frame. But these mount up by the brake bridge and shouldn’t pose a challenge for a step-thru frame.
Yeah, unfortunately, the locks that I purchased have a holder design that requires the mounting hole. The holder fits fine in it, the length of the u-lock is the issue in the main triangle. The Norco Indie3 also isn't a full step-through, so it's this weird shape that is not really a triangle, but not fully step-thru. Come to think of it, this is a moronic design. LOL. I'll send you guys a picture if I get a chance. I think that I *might* be able to mount the bottle cage on the vertical part of the frame and the lock along the long side, so I'm going to try it now. Will send a picture.
Old 05-26-21, 03:54 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
flocons you'll need 6 more posts before you can upload a photo.