Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Random assorted 650b gravel tire reviews

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 11:07 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts

I spent the last year experimenting with different tires after discovering and converting religiously to 650b. I figured I would put this out there for anyone who is interested. Happy to answer questions. Not interested in flame wars about rolling resistance/tire widths. I also don't care if you ride black diamond downhills on your 23s. I just don't care and never will. I like phat tires and they are the topic of this post.

About me: I ride mostly on road, but need tires that allow me to ride gravel regularly, not worry about jumping curbs and potholes, and to hit basic single track as needed. I like going fast but don't race. I like being fastest in my group of friends and am competitive in that sense. I have been experimenting with tubeless as well and will indicate that in the reviews below.

What follows is my own subjective, non-scientific experience. Posted in chronological order of use.

Clement X'plor MSO
These came stock on my bike. Great, great tires. Roll way better than they should for having little knobs. Honestly, I maybe should have kept these, but I thought they were overkill at the time. After experimenting more, I realized these were probably not really slowing me down all that much and it's probably more of a mental thing knowing there were little knobbies on there. Bonus: they are a nice fat 50mm width, so very comfy and good in sandy gravel. Never used tubeless. Again, these are great all around and came in handy on crushed granite MUPs and general bad roads on my commute. Never rode these in a group, so I can't say how fast they "felt". Def didn't feel slow though.

WTB Horizons
I see these as workhorses that seem to be a good starting point for anyone who is 650b-curious. I got them because I wanted to try phat slicks.
They seem to roll decently well and will last forever. Extremely difficult to unmount without tools- even using all the tricks and having knowledge of tubless rims, beads, etc. I always ran them tubed and bet they feel good tubeless. Though they basically seemed to roll well, I felt like they were always holding me back just a tad. Since my gravel bike became my one bike that I also used for road riding, I wanted something a bit faster. Otherwise these are a great commuter or just dedicated recreational gravel tires if top speed is not your primary concern.
Anyway, good overall if you need something durable. They also perform a bit better in rain than pure slicks as they have channels on the tread (not sure of the terminology for this). I didn't stick with them, because I honestly feared flatting on the road and not being able to dismount them by hand. Seriously.

Rene Herse Extralights 48s
I don't like talking about these. Got them because I wanted to go all in on a fast, tubeless setup and I had nothing else to do during lockdown. Dumped a bottle of their recommended Panaracer sealant over the course of a few days and did all the tricks to let the sealant do its thing. Never stopped weeping. Never sealed. Returned on warranty. One of the most frustrating bike-related ordeals of my life. I got the endurance casing on exchange (see below). These probably roll great, but I'll never know. I didn't try with tubes because they seem pretty thin and seem flat prone, and at this point were also covered in residue and were not really all that light any more...
unbelievably frustrating experience

Rene Herse Endurance casing 48s
Bingo. These are your tires. Fast, bombproof, and hold sealant. I actually let the sealant dry out in these (and carried an emergency tube) because I was so confident they would never flat. I've commuted on them, ridden gravel, ridden decently technical single track, ridden road, and they're great on all surfaces. These live up to the RH hype. Just get these if you are curious about RH. Further, Jan's most recent "research" shows they are not slower than the regular casing (and this hereby concludes any discussion on rolling resistance). Only niggle with these is the small auto-steering that occurs on certain grooves/irregularities on pavement. Not sure why this is, but I've seen other people point it out online. I only have this issue with these tires. Love them. Have ridden tubed and tubeless. Great with either.

Panaracer Gravelking slicks 42s
I put these on my fixie and liked them. Really nothing else to say. Very decent tires, don't feel particularly fast. Best thing about them was the sound on they make while riding- best of the bunch in this niche category. I notice they pick up a lit of little things from the road that I fear will lead to flats and makes me worry about durability.

Panaracer Parimotos 48s
Avoid. Flat magnets and harsh. No idea how, but these are pigs and I hate them. These are somehow jarring and harsh even at low pressures. Very bizarre. Only good thing I can say about them is they generally sealed up well after numerous flats and one bacon strip, but they definitely began to struggle to hold air over time. Couldn't wait to take them off and I threw them in the dumpster. Tried them bc they were cheap and wanted to see how they compared to RH Endurance and see if there was a benefit to shedding some grams. Oh well.

Lessons learned:
I spent waaay too much on tires last year.
Just go with RH Endurance casing and be done with it.....
Unless you have a dedicated gravel bike and you want a bit more capability in off road conditions, then you can't go wrong with the X'plors

Hopefully this helps if you are looking at dipping your toe into the glorious and phat waters of 650b tires. Feel free to ignore if this is of no relevance to you/if you have nothing constructive to add.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 06-01-21, 11:37 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
I have found the Teravail Rutland (650b x 47) to be superior to even the RH Endurance.

As with any tyre, YMMV.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 06-01-21, 11:42 AM
walnutz

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
I have found the Teravail Rutland (650b x 47) to be superior to even the RH Endurance.

As with any tyre, YMMV.
Wow! Will put them on the list for when my RHs have to be retired. Thanks!
Old 06-01-21, 02:13 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Never had any weeping issues with the black extralight 48 slicks and OrangeSealEndurance.
Thought they were pretty good when riding them.
But.......then discovered the Continental SpeedKing Racesport 2.2".
Try those (if they fit) and you might have a winner
Old 06-01-21, 02:14 PM
walnutz

Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Never had any weeping issues with the black extralight 48 slicks and OrangeSealEndurance.
Thought they were pretty good when riding them.
But.......then discovered the Continental SpeedKing Racesport 2.2".
Try those (if they fit) and you might have a winner
Interesting, thanks!
Old 06-02-21, 11:41 AM
Surferjo

Bikes: carbon fiber Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great info. I ride a 29" MB but I do a 150 mile gravel road ride every year. This year I'm thinking of swapping out my off-road tires for something with a little less resistance.

Thanks
Likes For Surferjo:
Old 06-02-21, 03:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I have Herse Switchback Hill 48s in standard casing and like them quite alot. They sealed tubeless just fine, but were a royal PITA to get mounted on WTB i23 rims. I ise the recommended Panaracer SmartSeal sealant.

I run mostly hardpack and pavement, and they’re really good on those surfaces for fast cruising. I don’t throw the bike around aggressively, so I don’t know how well tey transition really, but they’re confidence-inspiring at the 50/55psi I run them at for my 258lbs. I dislike the bounciness at lower pressures.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-09-21, 06:06 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I'm currently running the Gravelking Slick 48mm version as I wanted a more road oriented tire but wanted to keep the 650b for plushness. Budget was the main factor otherwise I would have gotten the Switchbacks. They came in at 499/506g which was nice coming from 600g Mezcal tires. The lack of rolling resistance is great and I was surprised by how capable the slicks handled gravel.

Did you have weights for the 48 Endurance casing tires?
Likes For DarKris:
Old 06-10-21, 08:57 AM
walnutz

Originally Posted by DarKris
Did you have weights for the 48 Endurance casing tires?
I think the Rene Herse website posts the weights.
Old 06-10-21, 09:01 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
I think the Rene Herse website posts the weights.
They do but in mine and most others experience the measured weights can differ quite a bit from the posted weights

Plus what surprises me is that they list the standard and endurance casing as having the same exact weight, which doesn’t seem right personally. So I just thought I’d ask.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 06-22-21, 08:08 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
I spent the last year experimenting with different tires after discovering and converting religiously to 650b. I figured I would put this out there for anyone who is interested. Happy to answer questions. Not interested in flame wars about rolling resistance/tire widths. I also don't care if you ride black diamond downhills on your 23s. I just don't care and never will. I like phat tires and they are the topic of this post.

About me: I ride mostly on road, but need tires that allow me to ride gravel regularly, not worry about jumping curbs and potholes, and to hit basic single track as needed. I like going fast but don't race. I like being fastest in my group of friends and am competitive in that sense. I have been experimenting with tubeless as well and will indicate that in the reviews below.

What follows is my own subjective, non-scientific experience. Posted in chronological order of use.

Clement X'plor MSO
These came stock on my bike. Great, great tires. Roll way better than they should for having little knobs. Honestly, I maybe should have kept these, but I thought they were overkill at the time. After experimenting more, I realized these were probably not really slowing me down all that much and it's probably more of a mental thing knowing there were little knobbies on there. Bonus: they are a nice fat 50mm width, so very comfy and good in sandy gravel. Never used tubeless. Again, these are great all around and came in handy on crushed granite MUPs and general bad roads on my commute. Never rode these in a group, so I can't say how fast they "felt". Def didn't feel slow though.

WTB Horizons
I see these as workhorses that seem to be a good starting point for anyone who is 650b-curious. I got them because I wanted to try phat slicks.
They seem to roll decently well and will last forever. Extremely difficult to unmount without tools- even using all the tricks and having knowledge of tubless rims, beads, etc. I always ran them tubed and bet they feel good tubeless. Though they basically seemed to roll well, I felt like they were always holding me back just a tad. Since my gravel bike became my one bike that I also used for road riding, I wanted something a bit faster. Otherwise these are a great commuter or just dedicated recreational gravel tires if top speed is not your primary concern.
Anyway, good overall if you need something durable. They also perform a bit better in rain than pure slicks as they have channels on the tread (not sure of the terminology for this). I didn't stick with them, because I honestly feared flatting on the road and not being able to dismount them by hand. Seriously.

Rene Herse Extralights 48s
I don't like talking about these. Got them because I wanted to go all in on a fast, tubeless setup and I had nothing else to do during lockdown. Dumped a bottle of their recommended Panaracer sealant over the course of a few days and did all the tricks to let the sealant do its thing. Never stopped weeping. Never sealed. Returned on warranty. One of the most frustrating bike-related ordeals of my life. I got the endurance casing on exchange (see below). These probably roll great, but I'll never know. I didn't try with tubes because they seem pretty thin and seem flat prone, and at this point were also covered in residue and were not really all that light any more...
unbelievably frustrating experience

Rene Herse Endurance casing 48s
Bingo. These are your tires. Fast, bombproof, and hold sealant. I actually let the sealant dry out in these (and carried an emergency tube) because I was so confident they would never flat. I've commuted on them, ridden gravel, ridden decently technical single track, ridden road, and they're great on all surfaces. These live up to the RH hype. Just get these if you are curious about RH. Further, Jan's most recent "research" shows they are not slower than the regular casing (and this hereby concludes any discussion on rolling resistance). Only niggle with these is the small auto-steering that occurs on certain grooves/irregularities on pavement. Not sure why this is, but I've seen other people point it out online. I only have this issue with these tires. Love them. Have ridden tubed and tubeless. Great with either.

Panaracer Gravelking slicks 42s
I put these on my fixie and liked them. Really nothing else to say. Very decent tires, don't feel particularly fast. Best thing about them was the sound on they make while riding- best of the bunch in this niche category. I notice they pick up a lit of little things from the road that I fear will lead to flats and makes me worry about durability.

Panaracer Parimotos 48s
Avoid. Flat magnets and harsh. No idea how, but these are pigs and I hate them. These are somehow jarring and harsh even at low pressures. Very bizarre. Only good thing I can say about them is they generally sealed up well after numerous flats and one bacon strip, but they definitely began to struggle to hold air over time. Couldn't wait to take them off and I threw them in the dumpster. Tried them bc they were cheap and wanted to see how they compared to RH Endurance and see if there was a benefit to shedding some grams. Oh well.

Lessons learned:
I spent waaay too much on tires last year.
Just go with RH Endurance casing and be done with it.....
Unless you have a dedicated gravel bike and you want a bit more capability in off road conditions, then you can't go wrong with the X'plors

Hopefully this helps if you are looking at dipping your toe into the glorious and phat waters of 650b tires. Feel free to ignore if this is of no relevance to you/if you have nothing constructive to add.

Excellent reading! Thank you!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-24-21, 04:04 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I have Herse Switchback Hill 48s in standard casing and like them quite alot. They sealed tubeless just fine, but were a royal PITA to get mounted on WTB i23 rims. I ise the recommended Panaracer SmartSeal sealant.

I run mostly hardpack and pavement, and they’re really good on those surfaces for fast cruising. I don’t throw the bike around aggressively, so I don’t know how well tey transition really, but they’re confidence-inspiring at the 50/55psi I run them at for my 258lbs. I dislike the bounciness at lower pressures.
Hmm I run orangeseal and they still weep after 3 years on/off

I run them at 35-40psi at 185lbs and actually like the bounciness. Once you get used to the roll they feel like they have endless grip on road and surprising grill offroad for a slick. Maybe I should switch to the panaracer sealant
Likes For redlude97:
Old 06-24-21, 04:59 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
^
Back when considering ReneHerse options I did come across a small number of notes saying the makeup of the tan-wall made it more prone to weeping (extralight at least) than the black.

A couple more thoughts:-
I ran the extralight black 42mm prior to the 48mm. The 42mm does roll somewhat quicker.
What I didn't like about that size in the end was the front end trail figure change; which i couldn't get used to.
Other thing was when heading into gravel/offroad, that tyre diameter / attack angle made the hits a little harsher than a 48mm.
Probably best for on-road in my view. Does roll-down quicker than a wider tyre, also.

Maxis Maxxlite One70 silkworm. Measures to about 49mm or so. 330gm on my scales.
This would have to be the most stupid-light gravel tyre ever. Feels like you have a balloon on the rim.
Mega plush feel at right pressure. Obviously very fast in mild gravel.
Tread pattern really only makes it suitable for mild offroad in the dry. Kind of like a FuriousFred but in 27.5.
Very loose fit on the rim at install. Did set them up tubeless, but probably not the smartest idea unless you raised the bead seat with extra tape wraps.
Likes For tangerineowl: