Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Vintage Bike 1982 Raleigh Superbe

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-14-20, 01:56 PM
schind1324

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

1982 Raleigh Superbe

Suntour Surerbe

Made in Japan.

Period correct rims but not the original sew up rims. He wanted clinchers so I built these wheels the when the bike was new.

A pic of the bike cleaned up and restored close to original with a a period correct seat and leather handle bar tape.

This is the 1982 Raleigh Superbe that my father gave to me. He was the original owner as we had a bicycle store at the time. I would very much like to try and restore the bike. If anyone knows where it might be able to get the bike anodized back to the gold color. The bicycle is quite original. My father did not want sew ups so I built a new set of clinchers so the rims are the correct period but not the original Araya sew up rims that came on the bike. The frame is Reynolds 531 and the 531 is red not green as most 531 tube sets stickers are. My understanding is the red numbering was a lighter weight tube set than standard but not sure. If anyone knows for sure please share. I have not seen any other frame set with that same Reynolds stickers.

Last edited by schind1324; 06-19-21 at 04:26 AM.
Likes For schind1324:
Old 09-14-20, 10:10 PM
cv350

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
Fantastic bike with exceptional components and family lineage. I think the patina looks terrific.
Likes For cv350:
Old 09-15-20, 08:59 AM
ramones71 

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Competition G.S., 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1982 Raleigh Superbe, 1983 Specialized Sequoia, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Great bike, and it’s cool that you want to fix it up. My own ‘82 Superbe was missing all but the Reynolds decals. Your pics are the first ones I have seen that give a good view of all of the original decals. As I understand it, the gold color is gold lacquer over chrome, a process known as “chromovelato.” This forum has a few threads about it. I think your bike looks great and I would leave the frame original, especially since it has history with your dad. I also have not seen replacement decals for this bike anywhere on the internet.
Likes For ramones71:
Old 09-15-20, 09:08 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Beautiful bike!

I agree with the others, leave the finish as-is....
Old 09-15-20, 06:00 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I had one of these. It was my racing bike in 1980. After 4 years of heavy use the gold was looking shabby. Took some lacquer thinner and wiped away the rest of the gold finish. Beautiful chromed bike then. Never cared much for the original decals either. A bare chrome finish is classy.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 06-18-21, 05:56 PM
geoscirockhunte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of these sitting on my garage!

What do you figure one of these are worth? I bought mine in a bike shop in Idaho Falls, ID around 1988. I pitched the original seat, the handlebar tape's been replaced, but otherwise I am pretty sure it is all original. I was 20 y/o and didn't know any better. I wanted a new bike, it was pretty and I bought it. Years later I realized that it just never fit me right. Currently I'm having my Dad's old 1970's Bertin C37 restored.
Old 06-19-21, 04:13 AM
schind1324

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by geoscirockhunte
What do you figure one of these are worth? I bought mine in a bike shop in Idaho Falls, ID around 1988. I pitched the original seat, the handlebar tape's been replaced, but otherwise I am pretty sure it is all original. I was 20 y/o and didn't know any better. I wanted a new bike, it was pretty and I bought it. Years later I realized that it just never fit me right. Currently I'm having my Dad's old 1970's Bertin C37 restored.
I am not sure what it would be worth today but the bike was only built for one year and had a limited production run. The bike in the picture is pretty close to original with the exception of the seat, bar tape, and rims. The original rims were Aria Rims but were sew up rims with the decal very similar to the one in the pic as I built the clincher rims up for the bike. I can tell you new in 1982 the bike retailed for $795.00 as my father found the booklet that came with the bike and he had written the sale price on the book.
Old 06-19-21, 01:21 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by schind1324

1982 Raleigh Superbe

Suntour Surerbe

Made in Japan.

Period correct rims but not the original sew up rims. He wanted clinchers so I built these wheels the when the bike was new.

A pic of the bike cleaned up and restored close to original with a a period correct seat and leather handle bar tape.

This is the 1982 Raleigh Superbe that my father gave to me. He was the original owner as we had a bicycle store at the time. I would very much like to try and restore the bike. If anyone knows where it might be able to get the bike anodized back to the gold color. The bicycle is quite original. My father did not want sew ups so I built a new set of clinchers so the rims are the correct period but not the original Araya sew up rims that came on the bike. The frame is Reynolds 531 and the 531 is red not green as most 531 tube sets stickers are. My understanding is the red numbering was a lighter weight tube set than standard but not sure. If anyone knows for sure please share. I have not seen any other frame set with that same Reynolds stickers.
Wow, that is a cool bike. Thanks for sharing!