Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Coaster Brakes, Who has one?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Coaster Brakes, Who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 04:51 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Kind of the same here, grew up having a Schwinn Racer with coaster brakes, forgot about the peddle thing, but it all came back to me this morning, bit of an adjustment to say the least. The guy two houses up the road had the same bike, with the two speed kickback hub, a 10 dollar option at the time. We never got along, but was always jealous of his bike cause he could accurate faster.
Tim
Old 07-09-20, 08:41 PM
slenten
Lotus Must Recite

Bikes: 1991 Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I laced a SRAM Automatix hub (discontinued in 2017) into a rear wheel I built for my son's bike. I removed the SRAM sticker from hub shell and used brass washers under the spoke heads. It looked great and he really enjoyed the simplicity and reliability of that setup. In the early '90s, I built a 26.5 wheelset for a 700C frame using an S-A, 1-speed hub with Specialized(?) Fat Boy slicks front and rear.

Last edited by slenten; 07-09-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 10:35 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Me as of now. Thanks to this thread, and specifically a post by @AlmostTrick. Based on a 71 Schwinn Sports Tourer, frame mods, repaint, decals, and wheel build by Yellow Jersey, in Arlington WI. Only real issue was the Schwinn 22.1mm stem requirement, not a lot of choices, so ended up going with a mountain bike stem verses the classic 7, to get the bars where I wanted them. First ride this morning, I’ll be putting some miles on this one.
Tim

1971 Sports Tourer frame

FD braze-on for coaster brake, all other braze-ons removed

Sturmey Archer 2 speed kickback hub

Old 09-23-20, 06:12 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I have two almost unused, 14 year old Romet Wigry, the blue one used as a shopping machine and the red one as my fun-training, get-away-from-the-computer bike. They both have Velosteel single speed coaster hubs, and while the one on the red bike works well, on the other the clutch does not always re-engage after using the brake. I have watched many Russian-language videos on how to strip and re-assemble the hubs in farmyards, so I think I am ready to work on it...